- - - - -

In Need Of Help Building First 'mech

8 replies to this topic

#1 Sarkan Arkhas

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Alright so here's my story. I recently bought my first mech, a Catapult A-1. Not knowing much about how to build a mech, I looked around on the forums and found a lot of people reccomended either an XL 280 or 300 for all Catapult variants. So I saved up the 5 million bills, but now I find that I can't install the engine due to a lack of slots. Even removing everything but the Gyro, which I can't remove for obvious reasons, I'm 4 slots short. How do I make this work?

#2 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Did you make sure you have 3 slots open in each side torso?

#3 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostSarkan Arkhas, on 08 August 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Even removing everything but the Gyro, which I can't remove for obvious reasons, I'm 4 slots short.

Everything everything? Nothing in the side torsos?

#4 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Ummm....yeah. Here, try this: (a fully kitted 'mech, keep in mind that I have never actually used one, and you could probably find a better one.) Just try to replicate this. CPLT-A1

#5 Sarkan Arkhas

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostWolfways, on 08 August 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Did you make sure you have 3 slots open in each side torso?

Alright thanks, emptying the side torsos completely worked. I have no idea why it didnt work before, all that was in them was two slots worth of LRM ammo and one jump jet in each. Oh well, it all worked out in the end.

#6 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostSarkan Arkhas, on 08 August 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

Alright thanks, emptying the side torsos completely worked. I have no idea why it didnt work before, all that was in them was two slots worth of LRM ammo and one jump jet in each. Oh well, it all worked out in the end.

Possibly FF armor and Endo steel taking up the slots?

#7 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

The classic A1 build (the splatcat) runs a bunch of SRM6 and a really big engine. It usually looks like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...65cf3d30716dd4c

...although artemis, engine, and jump-jets are to taste. It's not as strong as it used to be (SRMs do less damage now, and more people fight at long range) but it's a good build because it's mobile and hits like an Atlas. The heat will be a problem (firing all your missiles at once will generate extra heat. It's not much for SRMs, but the splatcat is a hot build anyway), but chain-firing should help some of that.

#8 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

There aren't many flexible builds that can be built on the CPTL-A1. All six missile hard points don't give a good amount of versatility and the fact that all of these hardpoints are located at your arms makes it a no brainer to for most players to shoot down the arms, rendering your CPTL-A1 weaponless.

http://www.mechspecs....php?board=59.0

Some builds you can look up.

However, the most common builds for the CPTL-A1 IMO is usually the splat-cat or the streak-cat. Both are equally deadly in close combat but you risk a lot for losing your arms or "missile bays".

You can also do the ROFL-Pault. Load 6 LRM 15, get a low XL engine rating and reduce armor. By it's name, it basically means a catapault with ridiculous amount of damage done via LRMs.

#9 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Cats are a good place to start, though I wouldn't recommend the A1 as a first. I quite like the flexibility of the K2, and the C1 has a lot of options as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users