I Am Glad That Something Was Done For Lag Shield.. But Hsr Has Created A Problem That Is Just As Bad.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

That problem that i am speaking of us the inability to respond to the situation if you have a lower ping.

To explain this... lets look at a situation.

I am piloting a light mech and am in cover. As I come up to an opening, I peek out and see that the coast is clear. As I cross to he next cover across the clearing, I keep an eye on the opening to make sure no enemy shows up. I cross with no indication that there are any enemies that I need to respond to. After crossing the clearing and making it back into cover, I receive damage(possibly losing an arm or a leg) while in cover from no source with no indicator of where or what did the damage.

What my opponent sees.

They step out of cover, see me running across a clearing.. line up a shot and pop me.

There is no way that I can act tactically, strategically, or respond to the threat because to me, this action is already in the past.

This is one of the big issues with HSR for those who have lower ping... and is especially noticeable in faster mechs(with the other issue being receiving damage when a mech clearly missed you by a mile).

HSR, as currently implemented, creates an unfair situation in which those with lower ping can judge the conditions that they are in and make a decision based on those conditions, only to have those conditions change when someone else with higher ping shows up and sees a condition that, to me, has already passed(in a relative time sense).

If you insist on keeping HSR then you need to tighten up the tolerances in which someone who is behind the current time can 'walk up' on a situation and influince it. While latency is an issue, the inability to respond to a threat because of a system that introduces phantom latency is just as much of an issue as lagshield is.

There is a significant issue in a game that allows people to do damage to someone else(or avoid damage) without having any legitimate chance to respond, defend, or avoid that damage.. especially if you intend to have a game with any sort of real tactics or strategy.

Edited by Foxfire, 09 August 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#2 Chupacabralted

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Now i understand why sometimes i get hit by projectiles i've seen flying over my head :blink:
Unfortunately, you can't even make an "average" of all the pings, as those who have little figures will have bigger ones, and those with high ping would have them decreas... no, impossible. :ph34r:
The only possible way would be to have the highest ping of the match as the general one. This will generate equality for sure, but even matches with at least 200 shared ping. :(
Even setting a ping bound would be too discriminating for players who live in certain areas.
I have a steady 140-150 ping in Italy, because of few servers locating. ;) it's still perfectly playable, but getting hit by netcode ammos is definitely unfair. :P

#3 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Its one of those double edged swords. Every online game suffers from this. Whether you handle it with client side or server side has both advantages and disadvantages. You just have to get used to the play style associated with each.

There are videos on the youtubes with some good examples of the pros and cons. This video from PS2 comes to mind. http://youtu.be/n3fUok2AoaU

#4 Chupacabralted

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

View Postfrag85, on 11 August 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

Its one of those double edged swords. Every online game suffers from this. Whether you handle it with client side or server side has both advantages and disadvantages. You just have to get used to the play style associated with each.

There are videos on the youtubes with some good examples of the pros and cons. This video from PS2 comes to mind. http://youtu.be/n3fUok2AoaU

Pretty interesting video! ;)
thanks!

off-topic: i tried to play PS2, but it is optimized by monkeys (maybe now it's better, i don't know). I could run it only with lowest specs, and apart from that it was pretty chaotic and without any sort of tutorial. MWO might need a tutorial, but the forum and players suggestions are a pretty good one, on the other hand^^ if you want to learn, you'll look for the info.
PS2 has huuuuuge maps, a lot of (too many?) different approches and available strategies. If you don't know someone who could help you, prepare to wrap your head with your hands XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users