13 replies to this topic

#1 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Does anyone use rudder peddles for their torso twist at all? And if so How do you feel it compares to using a joystick twist for torso control?

#2 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

We used to have a Dave & Busters here that had battletech pods and they had pedals for turning actually.

It took a little getting used to but I think its a great system. Pedals control the legs, throttle for speed and jumps and the stick controlled the torso and the weapons.

#3 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

Yeah same thing here in S.A thats where I got the idea from and surly there are people that use those. I would think.:)

#4 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

I use rudder pedals for turning. I use my joystick for torso twisting.

I can't really give you a comparison because I have never used just the joystick for turning and twisting. Using the pedals for turning feels natural to me. So does using the joystick to torso twist.

#5 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Ive tried them in the past. It works ok but i think comes down to personal preference. If you played a ton of MWO Id bet you would be great with whatever setup you got comfortable with. If you an occassional mech pilot my guess is that joystick torso twist would be easy to get used to and a simpler setup.

#6 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

View PostGargoyleKDR, on 10 November 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

I use rudder pedals for turning. I use my joystick for torso twisting.

I can't really give you a comparison because I have never used just the joystick for turning and twisting. Using the pedals for turning feels natural to me. So does using the joystick to torso twist.

That's actually an interesting idea. I'm not sure how it would affect accuracy using a stick for torso turning, but the setup might be worth a try.

#7 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Yeah i have been debating it for a while now. I have a bunch of different possibility's going through my head including the use of the steel battalion controller, just trying to get enough input from people to make a informed decision.:)

#8 Rogal Dorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTennessee USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Not something I've ever thought about until I saw this but it is a very interesting concept. I'd like to try it before I spent money or a set of pedals though

#9 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

yeah i wish I knew someone that had a set of peddles I could try it with before I buy some as well, But I think my best option is ebay for a set that wont break my bank.:) but I do want to try it out!
like in the second and third post say. I did actually play the VT battleTech game at Dave and busters a LONG time ago, And I dont really remember having a larg amount of difficulty with it. But i also cant recall if it was better than just using a joystick for torso twist...

#10 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Right now I am:

Joystick Left hand with seperate throttle.
Right hand mouse
Pedals (legs and flush and jump)

Wish to complete the cirlce of awesomes sim:
TrackIR

#11 Aris Sung

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRandar, Capella Commonality, Capellan Confederation

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostHardDrive, on 10 November 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

Yeah i have been debating it for a while now. I have a bunch of different possibility's going through my head including the use of the steel battalion controller, just trying to get enough input from people to make a informed decision. :)

You were reading my mind, or I was probably reading yours. Whatever. The SB controller would be perfect if you could set some of the buttons for various weapons fire.

I always felt that was the second of two flaws in that game. Just one more button to toggle between arms and you could've fired another primary weapon from the left arm. (The critical flaw being your incomprehensibly idiotic platoon mates) :D

#12 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

View Posttechnoviking, on 10 November 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Right now I am:

Joystick Left hand with seperate throttle.
Right hand mouse
Pedals (legs and flush and jump)

Wish to complete the cirlce of awesomes sim:
TrackIR

so you use joystick to torso twist, mouse to aim and pedals to turn? interesting. I've known dudes who use mouse and rudder pedals.

TrackIR would be cool but I'd have to see it in action. Would it be quick enough to glance to the side and then go back forward like you often have to do is my question.

#13 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

Sure thing. Go to minute 5 here:

Mouse is torso in MW4, redundant with twist on the stick. I'm REALLY hoping mouse is "Free floating Recticle" in MWO. ...

The pedals (legs) are also redundant with the stick in movement. I kind of use them all together. I really like jumping and flushing with the pedals though. I'll often use the pedals to move with my hand off the stick, but in combat I tend to go stick only for the legs...

I'd also like FFB, but I disable it in MW4, because the realism makes me miss!

#14 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

I really hope torso twist and weapon aimpoint are separable in MWO. I want to use joystick for torso twist and elevation, throttle lever for speed control, and pedals for 'Mech chassis turning, with the toe-brakes for my jump jets (left, right, both together = forward), then use my x65's integral mouse thumbstick for aim.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users