Lnc-01X Lancelot Concept Re-Design (Wip)

52 replies to this topic

#41 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

I wasn't subjected to the 'new breed of mechs' I and my group with one exception stayed solidly with the core game decrying the clans, and the ohh look what we found hidden in the back of the sofa mechs, as a crass marketing ploy.

mechs that look like robot monty python knights and ones that look like power rangers with swords (hatamoto Sad, or whatever its called) should be consigned to the bargin bin, forgotten about and the creators minds wiped and brought back into society, but forever watched for signs of mental instability, and regression..

However your second option is extremely good, its better than the official one in every single instance, you've thought about how the 3d artists work and made life easy for them should they ever use fan based material, and yup even though its a sofa mech, and clearly a twin maybe triple PPc mount, I would add this to my stable of mechs.

#42 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 August 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Looks great, especially the head.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostOdanan, on 14 August 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

I was talking about something like this:

Posted Image

PS: removed the ugly antenna.

have considered that, might do it. (Antennae not so much) Only reason I have not is I am not decided yet if it loses the gangly feel of the design that way.

#44 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 August 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

have considered that, might do it. (Antennae not so much) Only reason I have not is I am not decided yet if it loses the gangly feel of the design that way.

I second the adjustment on the arms, it still has the lower arm actuator but its very tight and moves the center of gravity up which is similar to the original design. If you leave it as is, it looks like a skinny Warhammer. I don't have an opinion on the antenna but I agree, this design is a knock out. Well done my friend.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

honestly, IMO neither really fits. I'll let y'all debate that

#46 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Really like the Redo! Don't forget about the first concept though..I liked the chest,head, and legs...maybe it could be used on another mech.

The Head is excellent..Very well themed.

#47 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

I like the first redraw, if you remove any more from the arms, then it becomes a tall skinny Rifleman.

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 14 August 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

I like the first redraw, if you remove any more from the arms, then it becomes a tall skinny Rifleman.

well, technically, a tall skinny rifleman is what the SLDF wanted it to be.

#49 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

I like the Lancelot with the obvious "frog mouth bascinet" helmet seen on jousting armor.

The only thing I would say is to change the weapon arms to be more MWO style with square laser barrels.

Most of Bishop's designs I can't really get behind because the legs tend to be comically short with huge feet and toes, but this time the Lancelots look pretty good.

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

As opposed to comically tall with unstable centers of gravity and tiny ballet feet to balance it on?

As always, glad that you are opposed to actual real world engineering touches in favor of the anime sleek designs.

As for squared lasers, they would just fit the rest of the design SO well. Fortunately, I am not restrained by pixel counts, laziness or whatever reason MWO is, and am allowed to utilize the full spectrum of shapes. So unless there is some scientific reason a long , round barrel won't work? I'll stick to them.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 14 August 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#51 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 August 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

IDK, I never really liked the Lancelot back in my TT days, and I think part of it was simply the artwork was ...bad. The Bubblehead simply didn't fit the rest of the design, the thing made Kate Moss look beefy, etc.

But I also always thought it looked like the Annihilator's anorexic kid sister. Too tall legs, massive thigh gap, oddly sloped torso, arms that didn't work with the torso, and a bubble head on an elevated giraffe neck.

So, anyhow, that is kind a the family dynamic I went with when trying to make one that I would be willing to use in my TT campaigns. So far, this is what I got.

VS 2.0
For those who claim I am stubborn and don't listen, etc. You are right. And I don't care, lol. But I do listen IF the suggestion makes sense and fits with the desired vision and goal. Listening to one suggestion made a previous suggestion I had dismissed essential, as the shoulder mount arms simply did not look right with the other mods. So in fact, instead of tweaks, I ended up with a clean sheet re-do.

HERE: finish art
Posted Image

Really like the look here, it's lean and lethal. Plus the Knightly visor look is a total Plus!

#52 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

Why did you had to re-desing it? Version 1.0 was abslolutely awsome and very compatible with MWO designs. Sadly, final version is {Scrap}.

#53 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 August 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

I'll let y'all debate that

I think that one is closest to how i would like it designed for MWO. Sure the low swung arms look better, but the high mounted arms make this mech the best 60 tonner by far.

I'd give it broader shoulders and i would like to see the ruff (from the original picture) be integrated in a redesign, since that ruff adds a lot to the look of this mech.

Legs, lower torso and head are spot on!

Edit: Your Version 1:0 from page 1 looks cool, but doesn't look like the Lancelot, so i vote against that one. This version however perfectly fits the name of the mech!

Edited by Myke Pantera, 19 September 2014 - 02:17 AM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users