Light Mechs With Slow Speed

25 replies to this topic

#21 TDR3D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 August 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

I never said it wasn't a skill based mech. And it works very well, I brawl toe to toe with Atlases at close range with the Raven 4x and win and take down LRM boats, gauss and PPC snipers with ease using the small, hard to hit Raven 2X.

Watching your ac20 raven video i cannot even fathom what kind of single digit elo ranking that match was, but basing a build's ability at the lowest level of play does does not mean it is viable as a whole. Only against players who decide not to shoot the mech that can be easily one-shot.

The point is it's possible to do, not that you should do it as a new player.

If your post was in General discussion or mech builds i honestly wouldn't have given two *****. You posted this in the New Player Help section, where people go to find and make an informed decision on what to buy or what to set their goals as. You are potentially making newer players waste their money on something that flat out doesnt work, or it only works once in a blue moon.

Almost everyone who is new is too scared to run a slow light mech and they all know why they should avoid it until they have the skills to back it up. Haven't you run a trial mech? They are slow light mechs. In fact my builds are faster than trial mechs despite having smaller engines due to unlocks.

Trust me, new players "know better." But it doesn't hurt to also know that they can do something amazing if they put their mind to it.

Light mechs are the cheapest chassis to buy, new players will see this as a way of getting the most of their cadet bonus. They will also think this if people are telling them that they can fit weaponry that does not compliment the chassis but still do well, only to find that they are getting smashed to pieces against anyone with an iota of braincell and motor-function capabilities.

This game has a very niche market, lets not confuse and frustrate the new blood that wants to give the game a try, shall we?

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostTDR3D, on 11 August 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

Watching your ac20 raven video i cannot even fathom what kind of single digit elo ranking that match was, but basing a build's ability at the lowest level of play does does not mean it is viable as a whole. Only against players who decide not to shoot the mech that can be easily one-shot.

Actually while we can't possibly know our ELO, mine usually pits me against hordes of PPCs, LRMs, and AC/20s. with all the min-maxers, so I'd like to think it's fairly high. But I was playing at around the time when all the Europeans are online (3 and 4 AM for myself) and I'm sure you can see that by some of their pings. However, even then I'm certain you can see they focused the bigger target. Everyone does. Most people laugh when they see a Raven 4x. Especially when it's got tyedye rainbow colors on it. They ignore it at their own peril.

If your post was in General discussion or mech builds i honestly wouldn't have given two *****. You posted this in the New Player Help section, where people go to find and make an informed decision on what to buy or what to set their goals as. You are potentially making newer players waste their money on something that flat out doesnt work, or it only works once in a blue moon.

If you haven't noticed the topic of the thread is to not use slow lights because they are worthless. Not "oh here's what to buy next." Therefore it is a perfectly valid place to put a video demonstrating that being a slow light is NOT worthless, but challenging to be worthwhile. Two very different things.

Light mechs are the cheapest chassis to buy, new players will see this as a way of getting the most of their cadet bonus. They will also think this if people are telling them that they can fit weaponry that does not compliment the chassis but still do well, only to find that they are getting smashed to pieces against anyone with an iota of braincell and motor-function capabilities.

Out of the hundreds of people I helped into this game... 2 people chose to be lights. I'm sorry but this assessment of yours is incorrect, no one willingly goes to play a light. You, too, would be even less likely to use a light mech yourself if you knew how gimped you'd be on your heat capacity and cooling even with the impossibly identical number of heatsinks as an assault mech, assuming you had an engine cap of less than a 250 rating. It's strong enough to allow them an extra alpha strike, even if you both had 18 DHS. Just a fun thing to note.

This game has a very niche market, lets not confuse and frustrate the new blood that wants to give the game a try, shall we?

Actually the game has a pretty wide market, but a steep learning curve and a perilous sense of uselessness brought on by elitist players such as yourself who get off telling players what they must or must not do, rather than what they might or might not want to try.

I'm sorry a Hunchbackized Raven may not work for you, but that doesn't mean it cannot work. Believe it or not, the Raven actually features 100% front armor, bringing its center and side torso armor on par with that of a 45 tonner's usual front armor ratings. This, combined with high leg armor is what makes it so survivable, this and the skill of situational awareness where I do everything I can to prevent an enemy from getting behind me. Again, I also never said it was a mech that people must try or even should try. It was brought as a demonstration that the original poster's statement is false and that slower light mechs are not 'useless', just not as survivable.

From the likes and comments given before yourself, no one seemed confused. No one has asked how it was built, either, because they know it is not something they should try so early on. Give both new players and my opponents in those videos some credit and don't act as if they are somehow less intelligent than you or I. I have seen you in a match before so you're about on the same level as them.

I'm certain they could have done better if they truly understood that I was a greater threat than the mechs following me. If you remember, everyone says "not to chase the lights." When there's several assault and heavy mechs behind the Raven, are you going to shoot the Raven who has a small laser and what looks like an AC/2 if you aren't carefully reading the weapons? You would ignore it too.

Besides, it is important for new players to see that there is more out there than just the min/maxer's cheese as it brings more faith that PPCs aren't the only weapon that can kill, and that you don't have to be an assault mech to win a brawl. Those things are the most important bits of knowledge any new player can see, when they enter a field and see nothing but Atlases and Cataphracts using PPCs and Gauss Rifles.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

(Actually, the original poster was quite polite with a request to please reconsider using a slow light mech rather than "zomg they're worthless, don't do it." I think that's worth noting. He deserves a like.)

#24 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hollander III. Cicada 3C (can be done with a 3M as well) with a Gauss rifle, Med laser, SHS, XL engine (goes 90 KPH with speed tweak)... I've done very well in it. Poke my head out, snipe a shot, duck back under. Fast enough to get behind the enemy most times. Lots of fun to get behind an Atlas, shoot him one in the back. Duck behind a hill as he starts to turn around. Wait a few moments. Poke head out again as Atlas goes back to shooting team. Shoot him in the back again. Rinse and repeat till he finds I'm behind him. Then run circles with med laser and gauss shooting (typically his rear) and run away.

Slower "light" mechs (Cicada counts as a heavy light in most people's books) is possible. You have to know what you are doing, and expect to play it carefully. Work with your team, distract, take opportunities... I can tell you my Hollander is a duck, hit and hide kinda mech. If you charged into an enemy with it, you are doing it wrong and will promptly die very quickly. If a fast light mech finds you, you are probably going to be toast.

Now, all we are doing is saying slow lights can work. We are not suggesting that every person start playing with slow lights. It's a style of play, and you have to know how your machine runs. Can everyone do it? Not really. It isn't easy. Is it possible to do? Yes. Very much so.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

I wants a Hollander.

#26 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker