9 replies to this topic

#1 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

I ramble a bit. Cliffsnotes below!

So far, I've got Elites in Cicadas (keeping the X5 obviously, and possibly 3C), Hunchbacks (kept the 4H), working on Atlai (2 out of 3, keeping the D, and possibly K, buying the RS next just to finish it out), and Awesomes (except I sold my 8Q Laserboat in a fit of rage over the heat patch... Which I sort of regret, because I think the patch was/is broken... >.> {Note: This means I don't actually *have* an Awesome at the moment, despite having Elites for them}).

I have a Cat' A1 (dubbed the "Lollerpult". Chainfiring 6 LRM5's almost brings me to tears of laughter). I wasn't really planning on going for Elites on it, simply because I don't feel it's worth it for my "toy" build. The K2 may interest me, though.

I *had* a Jager 6S as my first "real" (non-trial) 'mech. I sold it in favor of the previously mentioned Awesome-8Q (and soon after, the Hunchback-4H). I've been considering trying out one of the other variants of Jager, or possibly both and going for Elites on it, but... I sold the 6S because I couldn't come up with a build I actually liked.

[Cliffsnotes]SOOOO... With that said. Project Phoenix doesn't come until October. I need something else to fiddle with until then. Suggestions?

I play a mix of brawler (Atlas D, sometimes Hunchback) / long range support (Lollerpult) / sniper (Atlas K, sometimes Hunchback) / anklebiter-scout (Cicada, sometimes Hunchback) depending on my mood, so anything goes. lol I can provide links to Smurfy's if you want a better idea of my specific loadouts and how I play them. Or if you just want to criticize my builds, that's fine too. ^.^[/Cliffsnotes]

I'm currently looking at Awesome 8T/R/V, Stalker 3F/5S, Trebuchet 3C, Centurion 9D (390 Engines in the Treb/Cent), but I'm open to other suggestions, if there's something really Awesome I just shouldn't be missing out on.

Like an Awesome-9M with XL385+Tweak, for the lulz. >.> (Hehe, lame pun)

Edited by Aceramic, 10 August 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#2 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

May I suggest my two favorite chassis thta can fit all of those roles: CDA-3M and Catapult K2. Both work excellent as Snipers or brawlers (though brawling with the 3M means you MUST stick with your team). The 3M in addition is absolutely gorgeous as a tagging scout especially now in 12 vs 12 where it became even less likely for a team to take an unorthodox route over the map.

For sniping I put 2 ERPPC + 2ML, ECM and XL 280 on the 3M and 2 ERPPC, 1 Gauss (2 tons ammo), 2ML and 300 XL on the K2.

For Brawling the 3M uses 3 ML + LB-10X AC (2 Tons of ammo), ECM and also the 280 XL.
My favorite currently though is my K2 beast: 2 AC/10 (6 tons of ammo) + 4 ML + 280 XL.

Anyhow if you want to go heavy take the K2 you can't do anything wrong with it. It is useful in many roles and the speed, profile and torso twist range provide for great survivability.

#3 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostAceramic, on 10 August 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

I'm currently looking at Awesome 8T/R/V, Stalker 3F/5S, Trebuchet 3C, Centurion 9D (390 Engines in the Treb/Cent), but I'm open to other suggestions, if there's something really Awesome I just shouldn't be missing out on.

Like an Awesome-9M with XL385+Tweak, for the lulz. >.> (Hehe, lame pun)

Victors can be fun if you like a bit of brawling and sniping, but you really have to remind yourself while piloting one that you don't have an Atlas's armour!

As to the most Awesome Awesome.. Its gotta be a mastered Pretty Baby with 400XL and all the tweaks.. :)

#4 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

I have really enjoyed the Victor-9S. Depending on the setup, it can be a lot of fun.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostAceramic, on 10 August 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

I have a Cat' A1 (dubbed the "Lollerpult". Chainfiring 6 LRM5's almost brings me to tears of laughter). I wasn't really planning on going for Elites on it, simply because I don't feel it's worth it for my "toy" build. The K2 may interest me, though.

I *had* a Jager 6S as my first "real" (non-trial) 'mech. I sold it in favor of the previously mentioned Awesome-8Q (and soon after, the Hunchback-4H). I've been considering trying out one of the other variants of Jager, or possibly both and going for Elites on it, but... I sold the 6S because I couldn't come up with a build I actually liked.

The K2 is an amazing mech. Good side torso shape, good speed:engine rating (300xl is your friend in any Catapult), allows for both energy mechs and dual ballistic mechs. High-mounted laser arms make for great ERPPC sniping, and generally it performs well under a wide range of builds.

What did you put in your Jager, and why didn't it work?

Stalkers are not as impressive as they ought to be, their low torso turn and lack of arms means they can have difficulty getting their weapons pointed whee they need to be; An Awesome with the same loadout can turn further, faster, and has arm swing to swat at lights.

Trebs are always deemed 'too tall' for the job, think about what loadout you want to put on it and see if you can do it on a Kintaro (coming soon to a mechlab near you!) while Centurions have long been a favorite of skilled players. Medium mechs are due for a 'buff' to help make them more competitive compared to Heavies and Assaults (since many Heavies can go equally fast as a Medium plus more armor) so you may want to wait and see what those buffs are before investing in a Medium.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 10 August 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#6 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Looks like a K2 will probably be my next 'mech. Unless I opt for the last Atlas next, then it'll be the one after that. >.>

Jason - Not really interested in running a fourth Cicada, though I've been toying with a Commando, just because I keep hearing about how useless they are... lol

Rascula and Grizzly - I'll look at the Victors again, I just wasn't happy with them having all the ballistic hardpoints in one arm. Limits my ballistic options too much. :/

View PostRedshift2k5, on 10 August 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

What did you put in your Jager, and why didn't it work?

Uhh... I don't remember. I tried lots of different things. I just couldn't come up with a balance of firepower/speed/armor that I actually liked. Every time I came up with something I thought had enough punch, I either needed to downgrade the engine by alot to fit the weapons, and/or run with really low armor (like, lower-than-stock-low...) Or, enough armor and speed, but not enough firepower to be worth using.

Stalkers are not as impressive as they ought to be, their low torso turn and lack of arms means they can have difficulty getting their weapons pointed whee they need to be; An Awesome with the same loadout can turn further, faster, and has arm swing to swat at lights.

If it changes your opinion any, I have yet to run without my arms being locked. Too much work. >.>

Trebs are always deemed 'too tall' for the job, think about what loadout you want to put on it and see if you can do it on a Kintaro (coming soon to a mechlab near you!) while Centurions have long been a favorite of skilled players. Medium mechs are due for a 'buff' to help make them more competitive compared to Heavies and Assaults (since many Heavies can go equally fast as a Medium plus more armor) so you may want to wait and see what those buffs are before investing in a Medium.

I find this amusing, because my opinion has been that Heavies (with the exception of cheese AC/40 builds) need a buff, because Mediums or Assaults can do just about everything better. >.> Also, I'm far from being a "skilled" player, so I should probably stay away from the Centurions. *snicker* (Currently at a 0.62 overall KDR. Discounting the "Lollerpult" for it's cheesy-ness, my highest 'mech KDR is my Atlas-D at 1.23. In contrast, the Jager-S ended with my lowest per-mech KDR out of all 'mech's I've owned (ignoring trial 'mechs) except for the Hunchback-4P, at 0.31. 202 matches played (more than any 'mech except the Awesome-8Q), 162 deaths (again, more than any 'mech except the Awesome-8Q), 0.69 W/L ratio.)

Now that I'm done Jager-bashing, I should probably mention that the Jager *was* my very first non-trial 'mech, and I've probably learned a thing or two about what I should be doing since then, so it might not kill me to give them a try again... >.>

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

With C-Bills, this could be a fine Com-1B.

I have a Death Knell and a 2D still (a bunch of builds on the 2D though); and very tempted to get a 1B again (just gotta sell something or get another Mech Bay),

so it can be an option for you; and Commandos are rather cheap too. :)

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostAceramic, on 10 August 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

I find this amusing, because my opinion has been that Heavies (with the exception of cheese AC/40 builds) need a buff, because Mediums or Assaults can do just about everything better. >.> Also, I'm far from being a "skilled" player, so I should probably stay away from the Centurions. *snicker* (Currently at a 0.62 overall KDR. Discounting the "Lollerpult" for it's cheesy-ness, my highest 'mech KDR is my Atlas-D at 1.23. In contrast, the Jager-S ended with my lowest per-mech KDR out of all 'mech's I've owned (ignoring trial 'mechs) except for the Hunchback-4P, at 0.31. 202 matches played (more than any 'mech except the Awesome-8Q), 162 deaths (again, more than any 'mech except the Awesome-8Q), 0.69 W/L ratio.)

Now that I'm done Jager-bashing, I should probably mention that the Jager *was* my very first non-trial 'mech, and I've probably learned a thing or two about what I should be doing since then, so it might not kill me to give them a try again... >.>

I'm not saying they're due for a buff as an opinion, I'm saying the devs have said they will be buffing Mediums (specifically improving their agility). When you look at speed and payload, Mediums tend to fall behind compared to Heavies; you have to include the "cheesebuilds" in this evaluation as well. I'm not saying Mediums are bad, but they are underrepresented and need to offer more reasons to play them instead of Heavies and fast Assaults.

#9 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

If you are willing to give the Jaggers a second chance have a look at this JM6-A.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f5633682674a47d

This has become my favourite Mech, stay aprox. 200m out from the brawl and fire your missles at the big targets while fireing your cannons at whatever comes in front of you.
400-500 damage rounds (in 8v8) with ease.

My overall KDR is a "whopping" 0.50, this Mech has an KDR of 0.98.

#10 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

So... I'm necro-ing my own thread to give a minor "update" and refine my quest for more 'mechs.

Since I was here last, I've picked up a Stalker 5S (love it, in all it's overheating glory), Atlas RS (got the XP on it, Elites for the D, sold the RS and K, since the 5S can do basically everything I wanted to do in the K except for a ballistic hardpoint). I bought a Commando 1D, ran it with 2 Small Lasers (or maybe two Small Pulse, I forget) and 2 LRM5's, it was hilarious briefly.

Then I realized I kind of didn't like the 'mech. At all. So I sold it too... I've kept the Cicada 3C, it's my new "toy" build. (XL300 with an AC/10 currently, it's a blast. No pun intended.) I decided to give Jager's another chance, and picked up the 6-A... For some reason I cannot explain (or understand), I hated it, too. So, after filling out the basics on it, spending on DHS, etc... I sold it, too.

That said... I've decided I don't really need more Assaults at the moment, unless I really do end up doing a silly-fast Awesome 9M. I don't really want a Medium, not enough tonnage for me to work with.

I've been eyeing a Cataphract 3D (possibly swapping the AC/10's for LB10's and taking either two more tons of ammo, two more JJ's, or... Something. Like an XL340... Or AMS...)

Just looking at hardpoints, without toying with builds in Smurfy's, all of the Cataphracts interest me in a way, as do all of the Dragon's, now that I'm looking at hardpoints. I'm still pondering the K2, but the only builds I can come up with for it that interest me... I can also duplicate on a 3D (IE: 2x AC/10, 4ML or 2x AC/5, 2x LL), it just looks different, and the hardpoints are in different positions. The K2 does have a slight speed advantage between identical builds (plus the bonus of using an XL300 I already have instead of buying an XL320), but the 3D gets jumpjets. Which is actually a bonus over all of the other options I'm looking at...

TL;DR - Speedy Awesome (XL385, also super expensive), Cataphract (likely 3D which is super expensive, though less than the Awesome), Catapult K2, or a Dragon? I'm impatient, and the Awesome and 3D are by far the most expensive options, so the cheaper options are tempting me more with thoughts of "I can buy this NOW!" than the thoughts of "Oh man, I could do THIS with that 'mech!". They all have perks, and I can't decide. Somebody help me. >.>

(Random addition: Side benefits of either the 9M or K2 are that I already have Elites on Awesomes from my now-deceased 8Q, and I already have a Catapult A1, so with the K2, I'd only need one more 'pult for Elites)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users