11 replies to this topic

#1 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

QUESTION: ANSWERED

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2646910

I know this isn't New Player material per say but I couldn't think of a better location to post where I might get a bunch of highly knowledgeable people noticing.

What is the scale?

I kind of know that an Atlas is ~16m and a Commando is ~9m.

http://bg.battletech...hp?topic=5751.0

Anyone know what MWO is using for scale? Is there any resource which gives us mech dimensions in MWO?

Edited by scJazz, 12 August 2013 - 05:28 AM.

#2 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

As far as I know the scale in Battletech lore is not very specific and in MWO mechs of the same weight can have drastically different shapes and characteristics. So...I guess the answer is no scale at all, or at least not one that we are privy to.

#3 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostBookWyrm, on 11 August 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

As far as I know the scale in Battletech lore is not very specific and in MWO mechs of the same weight can have drastically different shapes and characteristics. So...I guess the answer is no scale at all, or at least not one that we are privy to.

The Canon Lore is horrifically non-specific. I'm well aware of that. What I hoped is that someone had any scale data at all for MWO. I don't even care about whether a Trebuchet is too big or a Spider to small. I'm just looking for some measurements.

#4 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Various conversations/arguments on the forums about that topic, just do a search. But no one has any concrete data from PGI themselves, just files pulled from game.

#5 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'd rather shoot myself in the face repeatedly with a BB Gun than use the Forum Search function since it sorts Oldest First with no Advanced features. I know PGI hasn't released any data. What I'm hoping for is that someone knows the answer. That way I don't have to spend the next X hours re-inventing the wheel ;)

#6 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

The goons have an image with the scale of all the MWO mechs front and side on http://themittani.co...hwarrior-online
I forget which article but it wasn't long ago.

#7 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostAym, on 11 August 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

The goons have an image with the scale of all the MWO mechs front and side on http://themittani.co...hwarrior-online
I forget which article but it wasn't long ago.

I quick scanned every article and then went back and slow scanned the last few... couldn't find it. Maybe Tankboyken would like to chime in here.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Someone keeps floating around with different images of them side by side. It's not 100% accurate (if they're not standing the way they do in MWO, it's pretty irrelevant). But that said...

There's a pattern to the scales when you consider the proportions of the mechs. Every mech -- except the Centurion -- generally fits this pattern which I use in the second quote in the spoiler. It also predicts that the Locust should be slightly shorter than the typical 20 ton mech, and that the Flea will probably be taller than the typical 20 ton mech given the rules provided.

This same pattern predicts that the Crab, King Crab, and Cauldron Born will be very short for their weight classes if brought into the game, due to their long and wide body shapes.

On the scale topic:
Spoiler

Sorry I don't have fancy pictures for you.

#9 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

The canon BT scale is that the smallest 'Mechs (think Flea or Locust) are approximately 8 meters tall, while the tallest 'Mechs (think Atlas or Banshee) are approximately 14 meters tall.
Here is the scale chart from pg. 303 of TRO 3039:
Posted Image

And while its canonicity is yet to be confirmed, here is a height comparison of the original 16 Clan OmniMechs:
Posted Image

Some time ago, some players actually got the in-game assets and got the actual heights of the MWO 'Mechs - the Atlas is the tallest 'Mech currently (that is, at the time of this writing) in-game at 17.6 meters tall, while the Jenner is the shortest 'Mech currently (again, at the time of this writing) in-game at 9.4 meters tall.
Posted Image
(courtesy of Bishop Steiner, circa January 2013; original MWO height determinations done by Adridos)

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 11 August 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

Fun fact: With very few exceptions (Timberwolf [Madcat] and Maddog [Vulture]), those clan mechs follow the rules I came up with for scaling. :(

#11 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

I don't have the quote handy, but according to PGI they scaled the MWO atlas to be 18m tall. It's on the forums somewhere.

#12 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostscJazz, on 11 August 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

I quick scanned every article and then went back and slow scanned the last few... couldn't find it. Maybe Tankboyken would like to chime in here.

Well I'll be, I can't find it on there either. Good for me I did find it elsewhere... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mwo+mech+scale

Edited by Aym, 12 August 2013 - 03:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users