Microsoft Windows 8.1 Public Preview And Mwo?

37 replies to this topic

#21 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Win 8.1, no problems. Runs fine.

@Ward Serpentine: good job spreading the FUD and lies.

#22 xepwn

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hmm, just got my MSDN copy of 8.1 installed. MWO wouldn't start but I suspect after a re-install it'll work. Shame. :-( I'll try to remember to post if it end up working ok.

#23 xepwn

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

The game still won't launch for me.
I'm using Windows 8.1
NVidia K2000M Quadro (Driver v. 326.01 - latest Quadro driver is only beta for Windows 8.1 - in fact there isn't any WHQL drivers released)

ARRR...

#24 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

Just out of morbid curiosity, yesterday I downloaded and ran the Windows 8 "Upgrade Assistant" which, among other things, runs a quick diagnostic of hardware and software. It then generates a report of what will work, what won't work, and what will require a little effort to work. When I ran it, it reported that MWO will not work under Windows 8. That was all I needed to know...I won't be getting Win8 anytime soon.

I understand some have gotten MWO to function under Win8, but do not know if any have been able to consistently get it to run under the 8.1 preview.

#25 xepwn

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

StarGeezer MWO worked fine previously under Windows 8.

I suspect it's the non-WHQL drivers from NVidia (the only available) that is holding me back. I have an open ticket with the support team to take a look.

#26 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postxepwn, on 12 September 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

I suspect it's the non-WHQL drivers from NVidia (the only available) that is holding me back. I have an open ticket with the support team to take a look.

after the update the drivers I had were running pretty poorly in MWO, I updated to the 326.80 Beta drivers and the performance on the laptop was greatly improved.

#27 xepwn

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

This is the .dmp file ... if anyone knows how to use it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/doh0bo

#28 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostStarGeezer, on 12 September 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Just out of morbid curiosity, yesterday I downloaded and ran the Windows 8 "Upgrade Assistant" which, among other things, runs a quick diagnostic of hardware and software. It then generates a report of what will work, what won't work, and what will require a little effort to work. When I ran it, it reported that MWO will not work under Windows 8. That was all I needed to know...I won't be getting Win8 anytime soon.

I understand some have gotten MWO to function under Win8, but do not know if any have been able to consistently get it to run under the 8.1 preview.

I run MWO on Win8... I've only ever run MWO on Win8. It works perfectly.

View Postxepwn, on 12 September 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Only available for your machine or for Win8, because I know there are Win8 NVDA WHQL drivers available.

#29 xepwn

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 12 September 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Only available for your machine or for Win8, because I know there are Win8 NVDA WHQL drivers available.

Windows 8.1 RTM NVidia Drivers.

Edited by xepwn, 13 September 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#30 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

View Postxepwn, on 13 September 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Windows 8.1 RTM NVidia Drivers.

Ah yeah. That makes sense. MSFT isn't going to WHQL cert drivers for an unreleased operating system.

That said, Win7/8 drivers will and do work (and they're certified).

#31 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

That's all fine and well, and I'm delighted to hear folks have MWO up and running under Win8. However, I have misgivings about dropping $130US on an upgrade when Microsoft's own installer tells me there's something not quite kosher about MWO running under that OS. And with an impending "upgrade to the upgrade" with 8.1, I think I'll just wait a little while longer.

#32 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

I've since moved back from the buggy annoying Win 8 to Win 7... can't deal with that tile screen instead of a start menu.

Just google "notilesplease" and "Classic Shell"

The former will always start your system in Desktop-mode.. no silly, fancy metro-screen. With the latter you can setup Win8 to look like XP, Vista or 7, including start-menu and -button. One of the two (I think Classic Shell) will also let you disable the metro-area on the right side of the screen.

Here's what my Win8 desktop looks like:

Posted Image

I'm as opposed to MS' new look as the next guy (started using Win at 3.0), but with these minor tweaks, I don't really mind Win8 now. The only thing I really miss is that Aero-Glass transparency.

S.

#33 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

StarGazer, you should have bought the Windows 8 online back in January when you got it for less than 30 Euro and when you got the Media Center upgrade ( which upgrades your Windows 8 to Windows 8 PRO ! ) for FREE !

NOW you need to pay 9 times as much for a Windows 8 Pro-Upgrade ... you have waited TOO LONG B)

Servus, MEX

#34 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Running MWO on windows 8 without a problem.

#35 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostM E X, on 16 October 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

StarGazer, you should have bought the Windows 8 online back in January when you got it for less than 30 Euro and when you got the Media Center upgrade ( which upgrades your Windows 8 to Windows 8 PRO ! ) for FREE !

NOW you need to pay 9 times as much for a Windows 8 Pro-Upgrade ... you have waited TOO LONG :huh:

Servus, MEX

In actuality, I likely haven't waited quite long enough. :)

I had the choice when I built my gaming rig back in June for Windows 7 or 8... I went with 7. It was a known quantity, as I had been running it on my old rig for about 3 years. I just can't quite get over that whole "90's AOL" look of the interface. However, now it appears if you want any desktop functionality you need Win8, as Microsoft has officially abandoned the Sidebar/Gadgets apps of previous versions, stating that they represent too big a security vulnerability.

#36 Darth Buddha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

Windows 8 is Great,,,, Even my 4 year old Daughter can use it.... Just do it,,,, Learn something new.... Youtube some vids if you have to....

#37 RooXman

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Since 2 Weeks I'm on W8.1 and my ping is pretty high since then.
Thinkpad W530 with Quadro K1000m and 8GB

before: W7 x64, game installed on 2nd HDD 72000rpm and NVidia 331.18 - good performance and 128~140 ping

now: W8.1, game installed on 1st SSD and Nvidia 331.82 - good grafic performance in training mode, but online 800~2700 ping :-/
Any ideas?

Ahhh, and after the "cry engine error" update today the game will not close via "quit game" button. I have to kick it via task manager.

thanks and best,
N

#38 AppleEater01

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Windows 7 64bit is a solid operating system that can run nearly anything! I use Home Premium. Magazines dont recommend Home Basic as it lacks even basic software. I run Windows 7 and I recommend it for anything!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users