• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Here's what i'm currently running

Weapons:
2 Medium Lasers
SRM 2: 100 Ammo

Heat Sinks: 13 Standard

Preferred Modules: Airstrike, Cool Shot 6 (Saving Money)

Engine: STD 150 (Might get a better one once i have the money)

Armor: Ferro-Fibrous

Structure :Endo-Steel

Artemis: Standard Guidance (Will Replace once i get enough money)

Model: Commando 3A

Edited by BoompigXD, 12 August 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#2 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

I suggest you get an XL engine so you can upgrade your SRM2 to an SRM6 or replace it with 2 SRM4. I would also suggest upgrading your heatsinks to Double Heatsinks and going down to 10 Double Heatsinks.

Edited by Typatty, 11 August 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

Which commando? Sounds like a 3A or 1D. Possibly a 1B?
Also I highly recommend experimenting with build ideas on this little doodad here.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Do try to get at least 172 points of armor on your mech, and remember you can sacrifice some armor from the cockpit. No one really aims for the head on a commando.

My Death's Knell is my most recent commando build. It runs 4 small lasers, standard 200 engine, max armor. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...94e624ed4cd4ef6 It's a fun little build, very effective against lights considering the lack of missiles. The shorter beam time of the small lasers helps a lot.

#4 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

You definitely want to upgrade AT LEAST to double heatsinks and an XL200. This will free up a lot of space and increase your heat capacity. I would definitely put DHS ahead of Artemis on your upgrade priority.

Airstrike is not particularly effective, and if you get DHS you won't need coolshot; I'd suggest cap accel, seismic, sensor range, or target info before either of those two.

Like Kon said, experiment on smurfy.

#5 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostBoompigXD, on 11 August 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Here's what i'm currently running

Weapons:
2 Medium Lasers
SRM 2: 100 Ammo

Heat Sinks: 13 Standard

Preferred Modules: Airstrike, Cool Shot 6 (Saving Money)

Engine: STD 150 (Might get a better one once i have the money)

Armor: Standard

Structure :Endo-Steel

Artemis: Standard Guidance (Will Replace once i get enough money)

It's not terrible, but for sure has room for improvement.

It's hard to give advice for weapons without knowing which variant you're running- they all have different hardpoints, so loadout will change depending on what you have.

I would honestly recommend not using modules at all, especially if you're saving money. The airstrike does almost no damage, and the cool shot 6 doesn't generally remove much heat, and you usually aren't going to want to engage long enough to get to full heat in a commando anyway.

This is especially true when you upgrade to double heat sinks. The reason that you always want DHS on every mech no matter what is that the engine comes with heatsinks built into it, and upgrading to DHS upgrades those as well, so for 2 less tons and 3 more crits than your 3 heatsinks, a 210 engine will give you the equivalent of 19 single heat sinks worth of both capacity and cooling speed.

This is part of the reason you generally want the biggest engine you are allowed in a light mech- the more heat sinks you can fit inside of it, the less critical space is taken up by heatsinks, plus double heatsinks in the engine work at a rate of -2 heat/second as well as adding 2 capacity, whereas the ones outside of the engine take up 3 crits and only cool by -1.4 heat/second and capacity.

The other reason is that in a light, being fast and thus hard to hit is your only real defense against heavier mechs. Most of them can kill you in 1-2 shots, so not getting hit is a better plan than hoping your armor will be enough. A 210xl engine will make you tied for the fastest mech in the game.

Endo steel is a must on almost every mech, so it's good you already have it. Ferro is worthless for most mechs, but for something like the commando where every ton is essential and crit space is cheap, it's worth it for most builds right now. I wouldn't bother with artemis unless you have at least 30 LRMs or 12 SRMs, so don't get it, save yourself some money.

Assuming you are running the COM-1B, I recommend a build like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...03d87ac38536285 . It should let you go fast enough and sting reasonably hard for a mech your size, and best of all, it will do an excellent job against other lights. The streak launcher means you don't have to try and track them at top speed to get guaranteed hits; and the pulse lasers have a shorter beam duration than standard, so they have less time to get out from under your crosshairs.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask; otherwise, good hunting to you!

#6 Szkarlat M

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 76 posts
  • LocationKittery, St Ives Compact

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

Heaps of different builds available out here as evident from all the different suggestions already. I personally love the commando too as its the first mech I mastered. As others have stated your speed is a little bit slow. I find the commandos side torso is pretty hard to hit if you're running fast so if you're happy with your current weapons fit, I would recommend the following:

1. XL200
2. Add 2 double heat sinks
3. Add ferro fiborous armour
4. Don't get artemis (SRM2 groups tight, use the weight elsewhere)
5. You will probably have tonnage left over so you can upgrade the lasers to medium pulse lasers (optional)

Modules for the scout role:

1. Advanced sensor
2. Target decay (if you like chasing other lights & spotting) or Seismic (for dodging around mechs chasing you)

If you're exploring weapons:

1. ERPPC + SRM2 (1ton ammo) can be very fun if you're running a 1D. Many people go with 1 PPC 1 Commando, but hey what the heck.. can still max armour with a SRM2 which gives you the extra kick and allows you to zombie if you lose that ppc.

2. Running a 2D with 2xSRM4 and 1xMPLL with ECM cover is a deadly striker against med/heavies/assaults

3. Don't want to be ammo dependent? Then keep with lasers. I prefer running pulse lasers on lights as they can afford to close in with the target and when you're running at ~140kph the shorter "pulse" duration is nice.

All in all experiment around and have fun!

#7 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Definitely suggest double heat sinks and an XL, get endo and ferro as well to get as much weight for weapons as you can. I run a 3A and have an XL200 (142.6 KPH after speed tweak) and I run two ML and 2 SRM4 with 3tons ammo. 10Double heat sinks. Max armor.

And as others have said, Artemis is great on a lot of other mechs, the Commando is just too light for it to be worthwhile.

Edited by Voivode, 12 August 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#8 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

if you can aim with SRM's then these builds arent bad
1d
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...96b27720109d8a6

1B
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a4b1e811df8d2e3
(note the streak is ment as extra DPS and to keep other lights on their toes you can switch with SRM 2 if you want or remove completely for bigger beams and more heatsinks. also this build you can dump 1 DHS for more armor if you prefer)
you can work with tonnages for commandos and use standard engines but to me there is no point in a zombie commando especially since by time you lose a side torso you are screwed anyways.

in the end for all commandos
double heat sinks
200 rating engine MINIMUM(i honestly just always do xl210)

i recommend going to smurfy loading the varient you are looking at then hit the tools tab and click MAX ARMOR, after that install a STD 200, XL 200/210, 2 DHS
then just experiment with weapon loadouts.
(be wary of missle tubes #'s)

Edited by Ph30nix, 12 August 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#9 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

Well, whenever i hear "XL200" in a Commando thread i want to cry.

There are some oldschool Commando Pilots since closed Beta, and i am actually one of those.
Each and everyone will tell you that there are only two "viable" Engines for a Commando

Either an XL210 (Max Engine ALL THE WAY)
OR
an XL195, because of the bigger weapons Loadout you need with a 2D (those SSRMs were heavy back then)

BUT, and that is a huge but, a TDK you CAN even run with a Standard Engine!
The XL-fun Build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8004fd98f190031
And the STD-Survival Build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...173ab8cbcc99033

(don't mind the armor distrib. i just put it together in less then a minute)

For every other Commando you should run an XL195 or an XL210.

#10 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

OH and get rid of airstrike, and you might as well dump the coolshots,

As a new player you need to learn Heat management without any crutches and you also dont need the extra drain on your cbills.

#11 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

regarding your modules there are two must haves in my opinion. target info gathering and seismic OR advanced sensor range. seems a commando could beni more from seismic OR even 360 target retention.

but I strongly recommend target info gathering. if you know if/where a mech is weak you are one step closer to knowing whether to run or try to take him down. i'd make that booger go as fast as possible too. commandos are pretty easy to kill. GLHF

#12 BoompigXD

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

For those who are asking, my Commando Model is a 3A

#13 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Here is my trusty 3A Build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...740742701aa5515

Originally it wan with 2 meds and 2 SSRM2, but since SSRM basically suck you gotta roll with SRMs.

#14 Cpt Chattahah

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 24 posts
  • LocationThe Mighty Mitten

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Love me some Commandos! :(

This is how I ran my 3A (when I still owned it)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...62030af13852c20

SRM4s will have a much tighter grouping than an SRM6, making it much more efficient and MLas give you a usable range up to about 425-430 for realistic damage

#15 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

As others have mentioned, the first thing you want to do is upgrade to double heat sinks.
Without an XL engine (which is expensive) I'd recommend this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d7be0dc2c816ac2

Although weakened, streaks have that homing capability that is good against other lights and targets in general. You could stick with standard SRMs if you want, but you should have at least an SRM 6 or 2 SRM 4s then.

The bad thing about this proposed design is that you have both a small laser and med laser. The small laser has a very short range so it would be unwise to fire them together. If you have a good 3 weapon group setup, i'd put each laser on it's own. (personally, i use <shift> for group 3 which is normally missiles or a very short range group that I won't fire as often). As long as you don't fire all the time, it shouldn't be too hot.

Edit: fixed link

Edit2: I forgot to say that this is not what I'd call a finalized design, but more of an intermediate design.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 12 August 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#16 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

There's a lot of suggested builds so far, and now one more: COM-3A (you can drop to one ton of ammo to get an XL 210, also).

You can set three weapon groups, one for the MLs, one for the Arm SRM-4, and the third for the Torso SRM-4.

The three tons give you plenty of shots to practice on the fly, and separating the two launchers is so that if you are fighting enemies above or below you, on like Canyon, you can fire the Arm SRMs without wasting missiles from the Torso Launcher that wouldn't be able to hit, for example.

And heat build up should be very manageable. When firing your lasers, do your best to follow through the shot; they are damage over time and the duration is 1-second for 5 damage each, so that is something you will need to practice as you fire on the move. The range on a Commando's arms is helpful in maximizing this damage as you stay in motion.

#17 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostEwigan, on 12 August 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

Here is my trusty 3A Build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...740742701aa5515

Originally it wan with 2 meds and 2 SSRM2, but since SSRM basically suck you gotta roll with SRMs.

While I am not a fan of Medium Pulse Lasers in general, this build looks pretty solid. With SRMs you are going to be running up other mech's tailpipes anyway, so MPLs will let you shoot and run a bit faster with a tad more damage.

#18 BoompigXD

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

#19 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

That is exactly my playstyle with the 3A 80Bit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users