29 replies to this topic

#21 danneskold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

It should be noted - there is a bonus for resource collection win in Conquest. If you really want cbills, play more conquest. As a newer player, your team will win or loose, and you will have some, but not major, impact. Might as well gamble and hope for the win with the extra reward.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postarghmace, on 12 August 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I won't be there to get anything anyway since I'm dead. Anyway what makes the difference between kill assist bonus and bonus for winning. Why do I get the latter if I left and am no longer there? Anyway, if indeed this lunacy is true that you lose kill assist bonuses after quitting the game, do you even get salvage bonus for victory?

Once again, I see no difference between salvage bonus and the regular win/lose bonus and kill assists - no matter if you stay in battle or not. The server should just calculate them all the same. You don't get anything after the battle is over anyway so it's all up to server and client status should have nothing to do with it.

You don't lose the bonuses. You just never got them.

For example let's say I shot someone. He dies by someone else. I get the kill assist.
But I shot three other people that aren't dead yet. Two die while I'm in game. I get the two kill assists. I left the game because I'm impatient. I get the end of the match rewards because I'm entitled to it.
However I'm not there to accredit damage I've done to the last guy. Therefore, when he dies, I no longer exist to give the credit to, I don't get ~that~ kill assist as it didn't happen while I was in the match.

See what I'm saying?

#23 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

I sell excess engines, but I find being short on weapons is a hassle so I keep them. This becomes more of a problem the more mechs you have since finding where you placed your extra gauss rifle is annoying.

Edit:

I'd also like to add that you can just make a slightly weaker SHS build for the extra mechs that you do not plan on using too much. Yes, it will be not as good, but that's an extra 1.5m++ worth of upgrades you can put towards something else you'll enjoy more.

Edited by Elizander, 13 August 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#24 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

View PostKoniving, on 12 August 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

See what I'm saying?

Sorry, but no. You don't get bonus X (kill assist) if not there but you do get bonus Y (end of match) even if not there. Why? What's the difference? Anyway these semantics don't matter. What matters is how it actually goes. Do you get salvage? These things are quite hard to test so would some kind soul have a link to an official statement by PGI?

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

View Postarghmace, on 13 August 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

Sorry, but no. You don't get bonus X (kill assist) if not there but you do get bonus Y (end of match) even if not there. Why? What's the difference? Anyway these semantics don't matter. What matters is how it actually goes. Do you get salvage? These things are quite hard to test so would some kind soul have a link to an official statement by PGI?

"You get everything you earned up until you left." You earned the end of match bonuses. If your side wins, you earned it. If your side loses, you earned it. If you shot someone and walked away from the battlefield to go smoke a cigarette, you didn't earn the kill assist. You weren't there when the kill occurred. After all, where were you when it happened? Launching a different mech onto another planet.

Real world case. Say you shot someone three years ago. Today he is hit by a car. Can you take credit for helping to make that kill? Probably not. Means pretty much nothing. After all you didn't spend the 3 years following him to make sure he dies. You probably aren't in the same country when he dies, and so how could anything you do or have done have any affect on whether or not he died?

Now say you fought in a war. During a battle you made some serious push that got the front line ahead of the battle and resulted in a victory. Sure, you were injured, laying on the floor, bleeding out until someone saved you. But the fact that you did it is what helped the victory. Therefore you earned it.

Let's say you stupidly charged the enemy and got severely wounded within the first minute of a fight. From there a landslide of deaths occur from the people that tried to save you, followed by the people who refused to follow you to your death only to inevitably die. The loss, of course, was because of what you did. Therefore you "earned it." I just hope you're not proud of it in this case.

Edited by Koniving, 13 August 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#26 Chiun44

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

Modules are very similar to engines. Each mech can benefit from module use, but you don't need new modules for each mech.

I have a long range module package and a short range package for modules. If a mech gets trapped in a match, I can just the other set of modules and a different mech to still be active without being module gimped.

#27 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostKoniving, on 13 August 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

"You get everything you earned up until you left." You earned the end of match bonuses. If your side wins, you earned it. If your side loses, you earned it. If you shot someone and walked away from the battlefield to go smoke a cigarette, you didn't earn the kill assist. You weren't there when the kill occurred.

Let me rephrase that:
"You get everything you earned up until you left." You earned the kill assist bonuses. If your side kills a target you softened up, you earned it. If you played a while and walked away from the battlefield to go smoke a cigarette, you didn't earn the end of the match bonuses. You weren't there when the match ended.

See? Anyway, I'm quite bored of this conversation ;)

I just wanna know how it goes. What do you get and what don't you after quitting a battle. So far in this thread no-one has posted any real proof on this case.

#28 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Selling stuff seems to be controversial. Here's my take on this.

I like having a few backups for items, but do I really need 20 MLs, 30 DHS, 100 SHS, and that standard engine you ripped out of your mech day 1? Keep a buffer on small items, (4-5 of any weapon seems reasonable, just in case), but don't be afraid to sell some items, as they do build up (particularly medium lasers, that while a staple, you get them on nearly every new mech you buy.

Engines are tricky. Generally, there are a few good universal engines, so there's not a huge problem if you sell some of the worse ones, but at the same time, there is always the possibility that an engine could fit well into another mech later, even as a standby. Personally, if I know what I'm looking for, selling an engine doesn't seem to be a huge problem in the short to medium term, and if 3 months down the road I think "Man, I wish I hadn't sold that engine", I think I can live with myself. That said, I don't think I'll ever sell an XL engine. More expensive than some mechs, I think I'd err on the side of caution with those, even if I end up with a few (I might have 3 300XLs soon).

#29 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm kinda in the boat don't sell the mech, even if you don't like it.. Sometimes things change..

I really hated my HBK 4P. I never ran well in it, could never find a load out that i liked with the heat issues all that energy was making...

then i saw a post about a 4P, with 6 Sm pulse, 2 large lasers.. the heat can be a bit much at times,, But you are more about ranged, with short periods of up close and personal, before using your speed to get out of harms way and set up your next attack run.

I'm glad i didn't sell that mech..

#30 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Yes. I've sold 2 mechs in my life. Both of them I bought back later :D

Don't sell mechs!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users