How Are All Your Wins Spaced Out? (Or, Is Elo/matchmaker Actually Working?)

51 replies to this topic

#41 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostsC4r, on 12 August 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

coz there are no ingame options, coz chatting while stomping jennys with atlas is hard, coz if you press enter that srm boat behind you will drill your internals, coz you just cant shoot small acs in chat, coz coz coz

so yea get on ts, group up, do sync drop and stomp those solos
personally i would use both ingame and 3rd party (as i do in other games like cs)

Am I reading this with the wrong inflection? It "sounds" like spilt Milk as I read it. I have been playing for months without the Law at my side, so I have played in silence. As before I joined Murphy's I have no problem accepting my enemy is using comms if I am not.

Would it be nice to have? uh... Duh.
Is it needed? Not really. Again there are plenty of 3rd party ones to be used.
Will in game Voip fix what is wrong with teams? Maybe. I know every time I drop with Lawmen I will be dropping with players I can count on. Will A PUG team on Voip be able to say the same?

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 12 August 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#42 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 August 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Am I reading this with the wrong inflection? It "sounds" like spilt Milk as I read it. I have been playing for months without the Law at my side, so I have played in silence. As before I joined Murphy's I have no problem accepting my enemy is using comms if I am not.

Would it be nice to have? uh... Duh.
Is it needed? Not really. Again there are plenty of 3rd party ones to be used.
Will in game Voip fix what is wrong with teams? Maybe. I know every time I drop with Lawmen I will be dropping with players I can count on. Will A PUG team on Voip be able to say the same?

Pug teams on voip will typically be made up of chunks of other units/groups, and they will have Elos similar to yours, so yes, they will. The only thing pugs will never be able to beat are organized, pre-planned 12 mans.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 12 August 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Goo Answer PEEF. I don't know if I believe you are right, but you do have a point. :D

#44 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 12 August 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

imo the game itself does not encourage teamwork. as you said in a prior post, trying to TYPE stuff while piloting is difficult.

integrated voip.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 August 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

And that would still allow the better team to win, only easier.

You're both correct. Poorly implemented commander, uh, commands makes it hard to coordinate and the lack of integrated VOIP makes it even harder. On the other hand, if you had all of that, the stomps would still happen due to the better players doing better.

#45 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 12 August 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Pug teams on voip will typically be made up of chunks of other units/groups, and they will have Elos similar to yours, so yes, they will. The only thing pugs will never be able to beat are organized, pre-planned 12 mans.

I disagree. Even a single organized 4 man on a team can make a huge difference although one single lance isn't enough to carry a very poor team by itself. It is however enough to leverage a win 70% of the time in a situation where one team has a organized lance and one team does not.

#46 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

In 4 mans or PUGs I tend to run into streaks. Few wins here, and a few losses there. It seems to balance out.

#47 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

My stats
Kills / Death 701 / 642
Wins / Losses 547 / 553
Kill / Death Ratio 1.09
Wins / Loss Ratio 0.989

No clue what that means in the greater scheme of things. All I do know is that I'm willing and killing enough to feel like a winner.

#48 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostTor6, on 12 August 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

It's fubar. Some rounds it'll be a close fight (REALLY rare), some rounds we'll have one lance run off to cap a far point and fight their entire team and win while essentially down 4 people (often without losing more than 2 folks on our side). Other rounds its a complete roll in the enemies favor. And sometimes you wind up with a whole lance of trial mechs on your side for some reason.

In other words it's probably 'even' on win/loss, but it's not fun because it often feels like whether we win or lose is completely out of my hands. :/

Quoted for truth.
[rant]
I'm currently on a quest to get my Victor 9S to 1,00 win/loss ratio. I've been hovering around at 0,6-0,7 while skilling up but it seems I'm unable to get higher than 0,9 because everytime I get a few wins in, they are followed by a streak of losses.
152 matches in that mech and currently sitting on 0,81 W/L.

Most wins are close and our team has to fight furiously to achieve that. But the losses are horrible stomps most of the time.
People shooting their teammates, blobs blocking eachother in narrow passages, pilots running away instead of supporting their teammates, nobody using the advantage when someone flanks, pilots hide behind cover and wait for the fight to come to them, snipers just sitting in the back and not moving an inch while their teammates get slaughtered in front of them, pilots who don't see mechs just because they have ECM cover, nobody giving infos about enemy position (not even scouts), players with fast mechs ignoring base cap or people not capping at all in Conquest, the inability to press "R",...

And as Tor6 said, the worst thing about that is that you can't do much about these things.

Honestly, I often ask myself how some of these players are even able to climb out of their bed without badly injuring themself. :ph34r:
[/rant]

#49 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 12 August 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

interesting perspective. would you agree that this game does not encourage teamwork?

Teamwork is needed to win, but some people are not willing to teamplay. Sad but true.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 August 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Quite the opposite. The better team wins every time.

Lately, the team with most Spiders seems to win. I've run into a bunch of 4-mans all running ECM-Spiders. But that's part of another problem.

View PostStoicblitzer, on 12 August 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

imo the game itself does not encourage teamwork. as you said in a prior post, trying to TYPE stuff while piloting is difficult.

integrated voip.

I agree. It's almost impossible to give orders while fighting. If you take a commander role you better prepare a plan before engaging or stay out of combat and give orders as the situation changes.
That is, if anybody will read what you write in chat...

On the other hand, this shouldn't even be necessary if people had some situational awareness and a sense for teamplay.

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 12 August 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I look at each drop as an opportunity to improve my situational awareness (those PUG will keep you on your toes, they retreat at the drop of a hat, and switch targets every shot)

Haha, that's so true. Taking your eyes off of the minimap for a second can be your doom :ph34r:

Edited by Roadbuster, 12 August 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#50 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostGingerBang, on 12 August 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Is it just me and my squadmates, or does everyone else tend to lose all day one day, and then win all day the next? It just seems ridiculous. I've had days were i've gone 1W and 34L, then the next day it is almost the exact opposite. What on earth is going on here? It happens all the time, there never seems to be inbetween. Some days you seem to only be up against the worst of the worst, then the next you just get rofl-stomped all day long.

Edit for clarity:

I should mention i think ELO is obviously working. WHen i'm not dicking off, everything seems fairly equal, but it seems that day by day there is a huge difference between each side of the fence. Some days you win 80% of the games, the next day you lose 80% of the games. I W/L is juuuust above 50%, it is just really, really weird how i only win for a whole day (which is fun as hell) but then lose for a whole day (which is awful). What is the balance between individual matches?
Man, a good question. When I lose, it's a horrible loss and half the time my drop mates appear to be drunk or girl scouts. Then again there's the other half where the other team just seems to have some sort of invincibility. Pumping multiple dual ER PPC rounds into a RED CORE torso and getting the reticule to flash red indicating hits, but that f'er NOT blowing up gets disconcerting after the 5th round...

And then being in spectator mode and seeing your drop mates all having the exact same issue...

It's like the match maker has chosen the winner, and NO MATTER WHAT, that side will win. I mean literally, it feels like the other team could just sit there doing nothing and my side would end up blowing themselves up through over heating just trying to blow ONE 'mech up.

#51 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 August 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

Then again there's the other half where the other team just seems to have some sort of invincibility. Pumping multiple dual ER PPC rounds into a RED CORE torso and getting the reticule to flash red indicating hits, but that f'er NOT blowing up gets disconcerting after the 5th round...

And then being in spectator mode and seeing your drop mates all having the exact same issue...

It's like the match maker has chosen the winner, and NO MATTER WHAT, that side will win. I mean literally, it feels like the other team could just sit there doing nothing and my side would end up blowing themselves up through over heating just trying to blow ONE 'mech up.

Oh, don't remind me of these times. Makes me a bit mad.

Posted Image

#52 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

win a few then lose a few is how it works for me.

If I change mechs there can be longer streaks till ELO adjusts to the Mech's ability, which is unbalanced. It will be interesting which mechs never get used in Unit vs Unit challenges where ELO is not a factor.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users