Maps, Hitboxes, Invisible Walls, Uber-Pebbles...yep, I'm Complaining Again.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Rippthrough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

Yeah, this is a general moan thread about them all.

Forest colony and tourmaline have had absolutely terrible hitboxes since their inception, there's hundreds of places you can stand and watch the enemy by a rock or crystal, and they can see you but not shoot you. There's even a few where you can shoot one way but not the other.
They've never been updated or touched.
Well, scratch that, the last patch updated Forest - by putting an invisible wall in the upper base that you can't walk through or jumpjet over that doesn't correspond to any of the terrain there at all.

Terra Therma has dozens of spots where you will walk down one of the hills and hit a pair of invisble hitboxes, leaving you stuck, especially if you're in something heavy that can't climb back up the hill. If you are in something that can get back up, it'll usually take you several minutes of twisting and turning just to get out of there.
What's more, the hitboxes will stop you firing any of your weapons as you will hit the invisible wall in front of you, but won't stop incoming fire as your mech limbs glitch up against it.
Even better, some of them are little potholes you can jump jet into, which then dead stop your mech, and and more jump jetting just moves you up and down vertically, so you basically turn into a turret that can jump.
It even has a spot where if you start near the boxes your mech movement will glitch and get stuck going down hills for the entire match - and yet most people realised what was causing after a couple of matches. Thanks internal QA...nice job...again.

There are places by the spawn points on caustic, around the rocks, where if you push up against the terrain it'll let you fire your weapons through them if you're mech is small enough (jenners, spider, etc), if you then hit 'X' to stop, any incoming fire will be taken by the invisible hitbox that extends past the terrain.

We get lots of people complaining about the hitreg, etc, but I'm wondering how much of it is down to the terrain hitboxes as well as the HSR issues. It's something that never seems to get addressed, and it's damned frustrating.
So, this is me asking if we can have a repass on some of the maps to fix the issues with hitboxes that have been ignored for months on end, because the invisible wall on Forest was just the icing on the cake.

Edited by Rippthrough, 13 August 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#2 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostRippthrough, on 13 August 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

Well, scratch that, the last patch updated Forest - by putting an invisible wall in the upper base that you can't walk through or jumpjet over that doesn't correspond to any of the terrain there at all.

That thing is really really weird. I neither understand what it is or why it exists now when it didn't before. You can't jump over it, fire through it, etc.

#3 Villz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 627 posts
  • Locationstraya m8

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'v noticed in many cases it will also visually show my shot hitting a walls / terrain yet still killing the enemy mech.... or even when a friendly parks right next to me as i'm about to take a shot and it shows him being hit on the screen yet his health still was 100%....

(recorded on videos many times)

#4 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Some mechs on Terra are worse than others. My Cicada 2A and Hunchie 4P can't seem to run across flat terrain without being tripped up my invisible rocks. My poor hunchie 4P barely made 1/4 speed, downhill, on a premade road...... I would have been speedier having been legged on any of the other maps.

These issues and the overall lack of LOS to find the enemy has made me hate Terra with a passion.

#5 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostVillz, on 13 August 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

I'v noticed in many cases it will also visually show my shot hitting a walls / terrain yet still killing the enemy mech.... or even when a friendly parks right next to me as i'm about to take a shot and it shows him being hit on the screen yet his health still was 100%....

(recorded on videos many times)

Villz, that's because of HSR (what you see on your screen is not always what server thinks is there) - totally different from terrain issues.

#6 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostAC, on 13 August 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Some mechs on Terra are worse than others. My Cicada 2A and Hunchie 4P can't seem to run across flat terrain without being tripped up my invisible rocks. My poor hunchie 4P barely made 1/4 speed, downhill, on a premade road...... I would have been speedier having been legged on any of the other maps.

These issues and the overall lack of LOS to find the enemy has made me hate Terra with a passion.

It depends on which direction you're running and from which starting point. I can run one path and have no issues but, if I go the other way, I'm screwed. Even the bridges cause problems.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users