Guide To Cheap Mech Designs (To Elite Mechs You Don't Like)

24 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Note: Mechromancer is down and links are dead for what I posted. Summary of builds are still listed on the links themselves. I will try to update them. I did not expect Mechromancer to go down like that.

Note: Builds are created in Mechromancer but feel free to use any mechlab when you post.

Given that the earnings have taken a hit and there are people here who like getting elite/master on one variant but are not really interested in other variants of a mech, I thought it would be good if we had a thread which contains improved but dirt cheap designs.

The goal of the designs for these mechs are:
  • Minimal costs - No DHS, Endo, Ferro, Artemis, Engine upgrade/downgrades.
  • Improve efficiency of mechs to make the grind to elite/master tolerable without breaking the bank.
  • Focus on heat and space efficient weapons to make the best out of Single Heat Sinks and lack of Endo Steel.
  • Get to near max armor since many stock builds have low armor.
  • Make the mech a little better but we all know that it will not compare to fully upgraded mechs.
Of course there is always just the option of running a mech stock. For those that can bear to do it, I salute you and to your future team mates, my pity and condolences. B)

Atlas Budget Builds

AS7-DDC 1xGauss 2xMedium Laser 3xSRM6 21xSHS
AS7-RS 1xGauss 4xMedium Laser 2xSRM6 25xSHS
AS7-K 1xGauss 2xLarge Laser 2xLRM20 2xAMS 23xSHS
AS7-D 1xGauss 2xSRM6 4xMedium Laser 26xSHS

Centurion Budget Builds

CN9-D 1xLBX10 2xSmall Laser 1xLRM10+A 10xSHS
CN9-AL 1xLarge Laser 3xMedium Laser 23xSHS
CN9-A 3xSRM6 2xMedium Laser 16xSHS

Cataphract Budget Builds

CTF-4X 2xAC10 6xAC10 Ammo 2xSmall Laser 14xSHS
CTF-1X 2xLarge Laser 3xMedium Laser 1xMachine Gun 24xSHS
CTF-2X 2xLarge Laser 1xMedium Laser 1xSRM6 1xMachine Gun

Catapult Budget Builds

CPLT-C1 2xLRM15 4xLRM Ammo 4xSmall Laser 13xSHS 4xJJ
CPLT-C1 2xSRM6 4xSRM Ammo 4xMedium Laser 19xSHS 4xJJ
CPLT-A1 6xSRM4 6xSRM Ammo 15xSHS 4xJJ
CPLT-K2 2xLarge Laser 2xMedium Laser 2xMachine Gun 23xSHS
CPLT-C4 4xSRM4 4xSRM4 Ammo 2xMedium Laser 19xSHS 4xJJ

Dragon Budget Builds

DRG-1N 1xLarge Laser 1xMedium Laser 2xSRM4 15xSHS
DRG-1C 4xMedium Laser 1xSRM6 19xSHS
DRG-5N 1xLarge Laser 1xMedium Laser 1xSRM6 3xMachine Gun 12xSHS

Feel free to add your cheap upgrade designs so that others who just want to slightly improve a variant can do so at minimal cost without going overboard with the upgrades. Hopefully some players will find them useful while grinding towards their favorite mechs. Times are tight, so let's budget! ;)

Edited by Elizander, 23 December 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#2 Skexy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Honestly; I'd suggest including engine upgrade suggestions simply because the engine can usually be shared across the different variants and other mech chassis entirely including that one that you like and want to keep when all is said and done; the other upgrades are all specific to the specific mech. Its real quick to move that XL from one dragon to the next.
-skexy

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostSkexy, on 13 August 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Honestly; I'd suggest including engine upgrade suggestions simply because the engine can usually be shared across the different variants and other mech chassis entirely including that one that you like and want to keep when all is said and done; the other upgrades are all specific to the specific mech. Its real quick to move that XL from one dragon to the next.
-skexy

It's hard to assume what engines they have and engines are very expensive. This is mostly just weapon/armor/heatsink swaps to minimize the cost. New players will have no engine to swap to when they start out the game. ;)

#4 Skexy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Sure; but showing that a 300XL for example fits great in all of my Jenners, Dragons, and my catapult is also demonstrating its a wise investment for both that one mech you want to master as well as several of the others you might pick up along the way. And quite simply might be a better investment to make earlier in your career before you start working up that second variant as it'll be useful with the mech you want to stick with and the two you need to work up. Of course, it also goes without saying that some mechs just don't like a fragile expensive XL engine; but I think its a good tip that fits with what you are trying to endorse with this post.

-skexy

#5 Viken

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

So, if you're going for the Raven 3L, you'll have to work through the 2X and the 4X. If you buy the 3L first, it comes with an XL210 engine, which becomes the cornerstone engine for these two mechs.

It's been a long time since I touched a 2X, but I believe this was something like what my loadout had. Basically, almost stock, but max armor, switch out the LL for 2MLs, and add more heatsinks to manage the lasers.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d521c2e49776492

I read a good topic on the 2X awhile ago, but I can't remember where it was. Basically, it used Pulses for close combat and protecting your Assaults, with a Large Laser somewhere for the long range fun.

The other Raven you'll need to go through is the 4X. This build does take Endo Steel to make work, but depending on what you have laying around, you might be able to scrap this together as well. This was my favorite build to level the 4X with, because nobody expects that much punch on a Raven, and it was back before MGs were buffed to the point of possible usefulness.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9079a8f90f14f46

Doing these two lets you work towards having your 3L Elited and Mastered, which my favorite build is an Anti-Light:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3c4db6567d56797

Also packs a decent punch if you have to get engaged with heavier mechs. The AMS is useful against other lights with Streaks if you manage to stay ~200m away from them, so that the AMS can actually track and shoot down the Streaks.

Although you won't be able to relive the glory days of being the most despised mech on the field, it's still a remarkably annoying experience for the opposing team. Just stay away from AC40 JGRs. :P

Edited by Viken, 14 August 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#6 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

There is no "cheap" way to buy an Atlas K for unlocking elite lol. In fact, it stands to reason to suggest to people if they are just after elite on a different atlas, to not buy a K at all.

Dont get me wrong, this is a very good idea for a topic. I would throw out there for the Cat. A1 the 6x LRM5 loadout, as it then allows the pilot to be slow and somewhat heat inefficient without being put into great danger. Doesnt need artemis to be useful.

I think some consideration to Endo steel should be taken though also. It really isnt SUPER pricey on all mechs. Running a half dozen matches to earn the c-bills to free up 3 tons to me isnt a major drawback for some mechs- 3 tons could be the difference between running hot or not, or fitting a gauss instead of an AC10, etc. I do not think all chassis benefit the same from that when it comes to money, but some mechs are really crammed for free tons and it can make a big difference.

I do agree with OP about engines though. When it comes to cheap, use what ya got, be it stock or swaps.

#7 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

When I was working on blackjacks I used a gauss rifle when I was eliting up the 1DC model, the gauss allowed me to avoid DHS and saved me having to tank too much into that POS, unfortunately the BJ-3 and BJ-1X are so energy heavy its hard to effectively play them with out DHS, doable, but not pretty. (Protip: Save the engine from the 1X, very handy for a generic but rugged engine for the BJ chassy)

#8 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

weirdly enough I keep finding myself drawn to using the http://mwomercs.com/...m/cicada/cda-3c in its stock form once a day. a ppc and 2mg @ 113+/- kph isn't a bad free ride. I get 1-2 kills a match with her.

#9 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Anyone who buys an AtlasK understands it is a mistake later. Sell it, bite the bullet, and use a real mech instead.

#10 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 16 August 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Anyone who buys an AtlasK understands it is a mistake later. Sell it, bite the bullet, and use a real mech instead.

Nonsense. However, for the purpose of this thread, it should be excluded due to initial costs.

#11 Moonraven83

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

No Masterengeneering, just beafed-up Stock-Mechs for minimalistic costs

Jagermech:
JM6-DD 2xUAC/5 2xMedium Laser 18xSHS
JM6-S 2xAC/5 2xMedium Laser 14xSHS
JM6-A 2xMedium Laser 2xLRM15 14xSHS

Hunchback:
HBK-4G AC/20 2xMedium Laser 13xSHS
HBK-4H AC/20 2xMedium Laser 13xSHS
HBK-4J 2x Medium Laser 3xSmall Laser 2xLRM10 14xSHS
HBK-4P 3xMedium Laser 6xSmall Laser 25xSHS
HBK-4SP 4xMedium Laser 2xSRM4 21xSHS

Edited by Moonraven83, 02 September 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#12 Spiketail Drake

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Blackjack BJ-1 2 AC2 / 2 ML / 11 SHS

You can run this on the 1DC as well, with even more heatsinks and/or ammo.

BJ-1 2 PPC/ 2 ML / 12 SHS

This can be build on ANY Blackjack variant (with either the ML in the torsos or the arms).

#13 Moonraven83

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

This time the much loved Awesome...

AWS-8Q 3xLarge Laser 35xSHS
AWS-8R 2xMedium Laser 2xLRM15 29xSHS
AWS-8T 4xLarge Laser 30xSHS
AWS-8T 4xMedium Laser 2xLRM15 27xSHS
AWS-8V 1xLarge Laser 3xMedium Laser 2xLRM10 28xSHS

#14 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostMoonraven83, on 02 September 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

No Masterengeneering, just beafed-up Stock-Mechs for minimalistic costs

Jagermech:

JM6-A 2xMedium Laser 2xLRM15 14xSHS

Seems like that guy would be ganked at close range. I just got one (first heavy, elited 3 Ravens, and working the elites for Sarah's), and 2 MLs don't seem like they would be worth much at close range.

Or is the point to just pump LRMs at anything that moves and die horribly when someone runs up on ya? ;)

#15 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

The stock Stalkers are pretty well equipped. The best I could do for most was adding an AMS and call it a day.

STK-3F: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...84f11e4b32b1975
2 Large Lasers and 4 Medium Lasers paired with 2 LRM10s and SRM6s each is incredebly well designed for all-range support. The stalker Chassis is extremely prone to overheating and having only 18 STD Heatsinks doesn't help that problem. Intelligent weapon grouping and careful shooting are strongly advised.

STK-3H: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d871e3b06f8cc76
2 LRM20s, 4 Medium Lasers, 2 SRM6s and enough ammo to keep your enemies busy for a while. This 'Mech is the only Stalker capable of delivering LRM40 barrages and I won't be the one to change that. Capable enough to defend itself at mid to short range but since the variant in focused on the LRM20s, it'd be advised to avoid it as much as possible.

STK-4N: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fc8a86281f4af8b
The only asymmetrical variant of the Stalker, somewhat of a downgrade the 3F with 1 LRM10, 4 Medium Lasers, 2 Large Lasers and 2 SRM6s. This variant trades the additional LRM10 and one ton of LRM ammo of the 3F to allow for more heat sinks, making the variant more heat efficient.

STK-5M: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...097c394e6c484b0
The Missile boat of the variants. With 2 LRM10s, 4 medium lasers, 1 ER Large Laser and 3 SRM6s this variant can have a lot of fun in close range. I'm personally not too fond of the NARC system so I decided to add another SRM6 to the mix to make the chassis more dangerous in short range combat, but if that's what you prefer, it's best advised to stick to the stock configuration (maybe remove 1 heat sink and 1 ton of NARC ammo to fit AMS+Ammo+CASE). Runs very cool thanks to pre installed DHS.

STK-5S: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b14469c1c95187d
My personal favorite thanks to the ability to fit 2 AMS. I always roll this variant back from 2 Large Pulse Lasers to 2 Large Lasers to the addition of 2 LRM10s, 4 Medium Lasers and 2 SRM6s. many people consider the XL engine to be a disadvantage and I'd agree with them because the XL 255 might be too slow to pull this design off. I still run one on mine (with DHS though) because an XL 300 is hella expensive but is not that bad if you know how to not stick your nose too deep into the fight. If you desperately refuse to use any Assault 'Mech with an XL engine and don't care too much about dual AMS, the 3F is basically the same 'Mech (or, you know, sell the XL and 6 heatsinks and buy an STD 250).

Edited by SethAbercromby, 25 September 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#16 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'd suggest noting mechs that are well designed to start with. For example, the Stalker-5M has DHS to start, a good balanced loadout, and doesn't cost much more than the 3F or 3H. Sure, it has NARC you don't want, but that's an easy fix, and the tonnage you save will let you max out the armor, and you don't need to do much of anything else to the mech if you don't want to. There's a few other mechs that come mostly equipped, though many also come with an expensive XL engine (The Stalker does not in this case)/

#17 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

For the Ravens, almost nobody keeps their 2X/4X. So keep the RVN-3L's stock engine and use it on the two bad variants. The loadouts all give you okay firepower, decent speed (not great, but it's survivable) and reasonable heat efficiency. None of them use DHS, endo, ferro, and they all recycle the 3L's expensive XL engine, which means you spend almost no money on them beyond the cost of buying the mech in the first place.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a19d229d92b384b
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3be58570aefd5c3

#18 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

No offense to those that do this but why?
I mean I mastered the Cicada's because that is the ONLY mech I like the looks of and will play. So what is the point of grinding (wasting time) on mech you don't like and don't want to play ?

Hell after mastering the Cicada I even sold all of them but the one I like.

#19 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:43 AM

View Postwintersborn, on 29 September 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

I mean I mastered the Cicada's because that is the ONLY mech I like the looks of and will play. So what is the point of grinding (wasting time) on mech you don't like and don't want to play ?

So you can have a range of good, elited mechs to play? For example, one medium, one heavy, one assault, one light...etc.

#20 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

View Postwintersborn, on 29 September 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

The issue is getting the most out of mechs you know you don't like but have to grind out to master the one you do.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users