Panther

33 replies to this topic

#21 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

Panther would work best if they introduced weapon hardpoint classes, example a Medium Laser would be classed as a Class 1 while a PPC would be classed as a Class 3. That would make the Panther a tempting buy if it was one of the only few lights capable of mounting a PPC.

#22 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Oh <.<
it is 4/6/4, i always thought it was 5/8 because i've never used it. silly me.
*runs in shame*

#23 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

In tabletop the Panther is a great little mech because the PPC makes it a serious threat to any other mech in its weightclass. A PPC can cripple, if not kill, a light mech in a single shot on tabletop, which together with good armor for its weight and decent mobility thanks to the jump jets makes it something another light will think twice about tangling with. It is even capable of being a threat to heavier mechs thanks to these factors.

In MWO it is severely disadvantaged due to the way the game works. A single PPC shot is no longer a crippling threat to even the smallest mechs thanks to doubled armor and its low speed makes would make it a tempting target to any heavier mech looking for a quick kill. It is one of the classic designs the most negatively affected by the way MWO works.

I'd still get one if it became available though. I mean, it's the Panther. It's even more iconic for the DC than the Dragon in my opinion.

#24 horundwar

Rookie

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

I would pilot a Panther cos Panther's are cool, i'm crud at this game anyway so i'm goin for style points.

Edited by horundwar, 25 August 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#25 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 14 August 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I've run a Jenner K with Panther fittings. Not the best in MWO, but fun.

I actually run a JR7-k as a panther. minus the six pack. traded em for two medium, don't know about fun:3 its awesome ingame

#26 Saori Arai

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

I rocked the PNT-9R stock through the entirety of the MW2: mercs campaigns. It is my favorite 'Mech.

#27 Deadmeat313

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationPreston - UK

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

I really want it to be a workable Mech in MWO. I guess we all know it won't be racing around with the other Light Mechs. It was never meant to do that. It would work best lurking among the main battle mob, popping from cover to add PPC fire support.

Hopefully, as a Light Mech, it will be pretty agile even if its top speed remains low.

#28 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

It's a low weigh inexpensive fire support mech. I'd use one if it had a good model that let me spread out the damage and the excellent agility it has in lore. I still run an AC20 Raven 4X for fun every now and again and a slower light is fine so long as you play it like a medium or use it primarily against enemy lights. (Yes it's only 100kph but it runs fast enough to cap on smaller maps and on Alpine their cappers are gonna run straight at you anyways, on TT it can take theta, on tourmaline and canyon it's best to stay with the main mob.

Assuming X Energy and 2 missile Hard points I'd give it 1 ERPPC, 2 SSRM2, BAP, and full armor with a STD 200 engine.

With an XL I'd probably give it a couple ERLL or a LPL+2ML and some more heat sinks.

I'd also consider fitting one with a a pair of LRM5s because even a few LRMS send mechs scrambling for cover.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 18 November 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#29 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Poststjobe, on 14 August 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I've had a COM-1D Ghetto Panther PNT-10K for a while now; ERPPC+ Artemis SRM-4, 144 armour, XL170.

It's seriously under-gunned in the current MWO, and the non-maxed engine doesn't do it any favours either; I could only imagine what a sitting duck a 64kph light would be like...

That said, I'd pilot one in a heartbeat ;)

Yeah - I'd see the Panther being very similar to the Commando. That's not a strike against it, either: I think the game benefits when you have two different mechs that are very similar, stat and structure-wise. You get a little more "House personality" that way - Steiner gets the Commando, Kurita gets the Panther, even though there's little difference between the two (obviously you'd have to be able to bump the Panther's speed up to be competitive).

#30 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

As someone who regularly pilots an AC/10 Spider for the lulz I can attest that a 60kph light is pretty survivable in PUG matches.

#31 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

well its not just draconis people that like the panther

I would buy one certainly even though it might not perform well...

trouble with the panther is its only TT avatage , it being able to carry the ppc is completely negated by the open custonisation system PGI use where any mech can fit any weapon.

if it was the only light that could fit a weapon as big as a ppc it would be alot more viable. though PGI could fit it with a bigger engine and make it faster..as there are so many mechs now that its only really shape that defines many builds.

the catapult is a prime example of how dumb and to open the customisation system is

#32 Zainadin

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Location5o Cal

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hands down favorite 3025+ mech. Clans should have copied it.

<--- Light mech pilot.

#33 Zainadin

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Location5o Cal

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostLoPanShui, on 18 November 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

As someone who regularly pilots an AC/10 Spider for the lulz I can attest that a 60kph light is pretty survivable in PUG matches.

Raven: AC/20, Med Laser, 10 Double heat sinks, XL175 - 81kph. You don't get to jump around but who is looking for/at a Raven with an AC/20?

#34 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

My Locust seems to do better at 81 KPH than at max speed, of course this is the missile version so I support with LRMs and SRMs...

I could see a Panther with a Large Laser and some LRMs working well, even with a slow speed. However, on MWO, the Panther's speed would be able to be much larger, as you would just toss in a larger engine into the thing. It's probably move a little slower than the Jenner to be honest after customization.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users