ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostEvax, on 15 August 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Bishop I love your work...But re-think this...never have i fired a gun and had the bullet go in an arc upwards then come down...They only drop...if its on top it could drop in to the laser fire...depending on how long the laser beam lasted.

I understand that you may aim above the target to get the bullet to follow an arching path but it never comes out of the barrel and arcs up. It always drops.

Awesome re-designs...always a pleasure to come to the posts and look at some of the best Mech art.

not true. For long range, one always fires upward first. Am a marksman and a hunter.

http://en.wikipedia....rnal_ballistics
to compensate for bullet drop, one MUST fire upward. Unless one is shooting at a point BELOW point of origin.
http://www.chuckhawk...ctory_table.htm

this is not an attempt to be a douche, just happens to be a field of intimate knowledge and expertise.

#22 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

exactly...but the sell never GOES UP!!!!!!..it only drops...you only raise your barrel up!..it will never arch up unless you point your gun up.....Draw a straight line(laser) from those graphs and the bullet trajectory will never hit the laser....

Even if it goes in a arcing path that sends the bullet above your target.....it is always technically "dropping" because of gravity... how is a laser on top of a barrel going to hit the bullet if the laser never drops....? read the title of that graph in the first link...it even says DROP in the title...no matter where you point your gun..the bullet is always dropping...

Many firearms ballistics tables and graphs show a rise in trajectory at distances shorter than the one (far zero) used for sight-in. This apparent "rise" of the projectile in the first part of its trajectory is relative only to the sighting plane, and is not actually a rise. The laws of physics dictate that the projectile will begin to be pulled down by gravity as soon as it leaves the support of the barrel bore at the muzzle, and can never rise above the axis of the bore.

this is from you first link

not being a troll here but...bullets never come out of a barrel and go above the front of the barrel....the ALWAYS ALWAYS drop relative to the front of the barrel...no matter where you point it. UP or DOWN. If you point the gun at a 45 degrees the bullet never goes to 46 degrees...

I am not hating on your design I like your art work trust me... but justifying the laser on bottom because of a bullet going up in to it is wrong...just say that is the way you like it. I know you are pretty respected here and admiting that you are confused won't make you any less of a badaZZ artist.
Posted Image
Pic of laser on top if fired..never...hits the laser
Draw the same line with the laser under the muzzle of the gun...if the laser is still active...it will intersect..

Edited by Evax, 15 August 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

obviously the barrels move independently, or they could never converge. Hence, the laser, if it moved in conjunction with the adjustments for the Autocannon, would shoot high. Since it DOESN'T, there is our problem. I could draw pictures if ya need them?

#24 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

If we are speaking litterally based on what we know about lasers and all, there is no reason whatsoever for any barel at all for any lasers. The wouldn't benefit from the length of a barel like a ballistic weapon would. Its all mirrors and such so when we draw mechs with huge laser barels, its only because it makes us feel better, not because its functional.

#25 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

i like it :P

#26 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

You got that Galahad finished yet?
No hurry.................................done yet?
How about now?

I'll wait.............................

#27 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

Oh, that is nice. I was always a little leery of the arm blast shields on your first version. This new one though: the stockiness, and the new chest, and the legs.... all good!

#28 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I HELPED :huh:
Still want to see your proper final version though. :P
Posted Image

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 16 August 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

If we are speaking litterally based on what we know about lasers and all, there is no reason whatsoever for any barel at all for any lasers. The wouldn't benefit from the length of a barel like a ballistic weapon would. Its all mirrors and such so when we draw mechs with huge laser barels, its only because it makes us feel better, not because its functional.

I am prtty sure that what we percieve as "barrels" still serve a purpose. The Unit needs to be house in something, obviously, but the majority of the barrel is surface area used to increase cooling.
Posted Image

hence the fluting on this barrel, ribs on others. The more surface area, the more easily dispersed the heat absorbed, is. So on a very high heat producing item like a large laser, a goodly amount of surface area would be a given. And of course EXTRA heatsinks are needed, because it is not being fired in a lab. Add in the need to armor and shock compensate for combat conditions, and we get what we see. Also, a circular barrel is structurally STRONGER than the trapezoids and squares, so much less likely to be damaged.

That is one reason I laugh at all the funny shapes MWO wants to use. Even if the triangular magnetic rails in a Gauss were needed, the combat barrel would still almost certainly end up in a circular armored shroud, as it enhances strength and deflection.

View Postmaxoconnor, on 16 August 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I HELPED :huh:
Still want to see your proper final version though. :P
Posted Image

deep breath. And probably won't see it this weekend. Got too much on my plate.

#30 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

No worries, I know you will do it proper justice. I'm pretty jazzed to see it done better yet obviously still true to its original design.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users