How Is The Ylw

37 replies to this topic

#1 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Considering buying it since the sale is on, would be my first hero. I have pheonix on the way but nothing to grind cbills till then. I already own all other 3 cents so I have all the trees unlocked anyways. The main turn off is the hard points, not very spread out and doesn't seem to allow for much. The lasers would most likely be medium or pulses the ballistic could probably only be an ac20 or dual UAC/AC5, so lack of builds it kind of a turn off since I could probably do any build the same or better on the non hero cents I have. Thoughts on this mech?

#2 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Just picked it up on Friday and so far I'm loving it. My favorite mech is the Hunchback 4H that I run with an AC20 so its pretty similar but having the autocannon in the arm is handy for those hill side fights. Its also got the fabled Centurion ruggedness (which is new to me as it was my first Cent).

You're right that there isn't a whole lot to do with it though. Its basically bigger (xl) engine or swap the the AC20 for a pair of UAC5s... Anything else can be done on the other variants. Regardless of that fact its fun and with some smart piloting you can get some good scores and c-bill earnings.

#3 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

what to say, one trick pony, but it's a very good trick. If you have other cents you know that playstyle which i find is a special one in comparison to other mechs. But if you obey to cent rules (cover, move and twist) you can have some good moments.

Btw I have both, YLW and the X-5 and that cicada is one of my favorite mechs and really is fun. I have to admit, i didn't try it post SSRM nerf, but it definitely a good cicada (if you like these mechs).

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

It requires a lot of finesse. It's like being a katana-wielding ninja as opposed to a knight in full plate armour. When it goes right, you'll do very well. When it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong.

The downside is the lack of variety, as you point out. However, if you stick with the mech for a while, you'll perhaps experience a cool zen-like state where you really start to master the strengths and weaknesses of the mech. For example, it has a bigger max engine size than the CN9-A and CN9-AL, and it has much better torso twist. So while my favourite build for the YLW is a gauss + 2 medium lasers, which you can already pull off with the CN9-A and CN9-D, the Yen Lo Wang is much better in a brawl due to the torso twist, while being equally good in a ranged fight. The torso twist really does make you a ninja, allowing you to use the shielding left side of the torso to its maximum potential, while almost always being able to keep your aim on the enemy, even if you're dodging and weaving, and running in circles.

I don't regret buying it, and I certainly prefer a YLW over an X-5. With it being on discount, it's currently a much better choice than other hero mechs. If there was a discount on both the YLW and the Ilya Muromets or Misery, the choice would be harder. But why wait 2-3 months and see if there's a discount on the hero mech you want, just to save 5 bucks?

Hm. I'm pitching this sale as if I'm getting a commission.

As an alternative, get the Sarah Jenner instead, if you don't have it already. Giving money to PGI is cool, but giving money for cancer research is cooler.

#5 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Ninjas don't use the katana they used the ninjato a shorter straighter sword.

#6 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 18 August 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Ninjas don't use the katana they used the ninjato a shorter straighter sword.

I'm going to assume that this was a ironical joke and say 'well done' :P

#7 William T Riker

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

If you want a fun autocannon arm mech, get a BJ-1. It only goes 93 kph max with speed tweak but it has jjs and a much much harder to hit autocannon arm with a much higher profile for jump shots.

Edited by William T Riker, 18 August 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

The Yen-Lo-Wang is a surgeon's scalpel.

In the hands of the masses, a short knife of minimal use, as likely to cut yourself as something else. In the hand of a skilled artist and expert? Capable of amazing things, and fantastic precision.

The biggest flaw is so many people overlook or skip what makes it special. The AC20. Yes, the Gauss has better range. Ac10 better ammo consumption. Ac2, 5 and UAC bettr cycle rates. But none drop 20 pts INSTANT damage to one location with the precision of the AC20. If you want to run other guns, save your money and use a normal Centy. The YLW has only one true use, to flank the enemy and bring that ac20 to their weak spots. The only real questions are whether to use Medium Lasers, or Medium Pulse, and whether or not to use an XL or not.

My opinion? Like the weaker guns, other Cents can Zombie. Only the Wang can pack an AC20, 2 Medium Pulse AND still do 106 kph (with Speed Tweak). That speed is a large part of what makes it such a precision tool. IT can't go toe to toe. Even with a Standard Engine, you will lose your main gun, and be next to useless, almost instantly. With the XL300, you run the battlefield and can exploit weaknesses, and most importantly, escape when you find yourself in an untenable position. With that speed and some use of cover you can do what the Zombie Wang cannot, and actually USE all 28 shots for your ac20.

Don't do like the lemmings and leave your left torso and arm naked. Use them. The left arm has a shield for a reason. It's there to absorb 32 pts of damage that would have hit your torso. Flaunt that left arm, and then ram your right arm up their ****** and give them a Pontiac 100 colonic.

Are you man enough to embrace the The-One-True-WANG
?

Then ask yourself this:
Posted Image

Well, do ya, punk?

#9 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Kids these days, with their big guns and XL engines...

Posted Image

Zombie wang will eat your brains in the end!

Edited by Alistair Winter, 18 August 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#10 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

YLW is my favorite mech in my garage, period. I've had more consecutive success with it than any other mech. I used to do the 'Zombie Wang' thing but eventually decided to give the 300XL a try in it and was instantly amazed. Endo-Steel, DHS, Ferro-Fibrous, 300XL, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, and that AC/20... mmmm. It's also got one of the best (if not the best) torso-twist ranges/speeds in the game. I've been able to chase down lights and pop them square in their rear center torsos (or side torsos when they're carrying an XL, which in lights is almost all of them) for a satisfying kill I doubt they saw coming.

In the end the only real choice for the YLW is do you want to go for the zombie effect with a standard engine or the fastest AC/20 in the Commonwealth with an XL? Either is viable but I've had far more fun with the XL.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostRisko Vinsheen, on 18 August 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

YLW is my favorite mech in my garage, period. I've had more consecutive success with it than any other mech. I used to do the 'Zombie Wang' thing but eventually decided to give the 300XL a try in it and was instantly amazed. Endo-Steel, DHS, Ferro-Fibrous, 300XL, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, and that AC/20... mmmm. It's also got one of the best (if not the best) torso-twist ranges/speeds in the game. I've been able to chase down lights and pop them square in their rear center torsos (or side torsos when they're carrying an XL, which in lights is almost all of them) for a satisfying kill I doubt they saw coming.

In the end the only real choice for the YLW is do you want to go for the zombie effect with a standard engine or the fastest AC/20 in the Commonwealth with an XL? Either is viable but I've had far more fun with the XL.

you welcome!!!
:P

#12 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 August 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

you welcome!!!
:P

:D As stated in the other thread this came up in I made the 300XL decision on my own. Didn't even know at the time it was a popular thing because I hadn't considered XLs in a Centurion before then.

#13 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

I bought mine today and i'm loving it. It's been some time now since i started enjoying the Centurion chassis and i always like the medium class. A few weeks ago i started to think about buying a Wang, but because of my currency i would have to spend a lot and i wouldn't get it. When i saw the sale i was immediatly happy cause i knew i would be able to get it for half the price (because of the MC packages) and today i finally got it. I've been running almost the same build through the basics and i can't complain about it. It's just awesome to finally have my first hero mech and from a chassis i enjoy. That AC 20 is just lovely when it hits.

One thing i have to say, though... using that AC 20 for all this time i got the see the real hit registration problem. Man, it is f*** unbelievable. You see clean hit landing and not causing 1/3 of the damage. You see the animation from explosion at mechs as near as 50m from you and they still get no damage. You can even see the enemy mech shaking, but your reticule don't turn red. The worse are spiders... I recorded a meeting with a SPD today and he was legged. When he saw me he turned his right side to me and used his JJ. As he was in the air i aimed at the upper part of his leg and i saw it hit clean and the reticule turned red. I thought "that's it. Game over for you". But i was wrong. As i checked the upper right side of my screen i saw his..LEFT TORSO turn from full armor to clear yellow armorless.

If you decide to buy a Wang, be carefull with smaller targets

#14 Fishbrane

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

The Yen Lo Wang is my best mech. Run an XL300, 2 MLAS, 1 AC20. It has a K/D of 3.53 over 158 games. I've got 15 hours logged in the mech.

I won't write a long winded spiel about how to use it. You'll just have to practice, but I will leave you with one bit of advice.

Aim at a specific part of the enemy mech and hit that point with every single AC20 round. You've only got 21/28 shots (3/4 tons of ammo). 21x20 = 420 potential damage if you do not miss. Do not miss. If this means waiting for a better opportunity to shoot, then you wait. Twist the torso, soak up some damage with your left arm, scratch your private parts. Whatever. But don't waste shots just because the gun is off cooldown.

If there is any doubt about your AC20 shot, use the medium lasers instead. Really lean on the medium lasers.

To drive the Yen Lo Wang you must have DISCIPRINE!

#15 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

YLW is great, just protect the gun arm and use M Pulse Lasers, not regular lasers becuase you usually lose the gun and M Pulse have good punch on damaged mechs.

YLW was so good the Pretty Baby had to be garbage. Everyone whined P2W when the YLW came out.

#16 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 August 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

YLW is great, just protect the gun arm and use M Pulse Lasers, not regular lasers becuase you usually lose the gun and M Pulse have good punch on damaged mechs.

YLW was so good the Pretty Baby had to be garbage. Everyone whined P2W when the YLW came out.

Ah yes, I remember those P2W days...boy am I sure glad they were right! (not)

But yes, the Wiggity Wang is a fantastic mech and my favorite Hero mech ever, both lore and game wise. Too many stories I can tell of how good this mech is.

#17 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Its been a while since someone has said the Misery is a P2W mech.
I wonder if they'll start up again when the phoenix mechs hit the field.

#18 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

THE YEN LO WANG IS EFFING AMAZING!

However I am surprised no-one hears has any love for the rapid fire dual uac 5 wang
It technically has 2 ballistic hardpoints in that arm, and dual uac5s can lay in a continuous stream of pain while your torso twist and incredible speed keep you out of their firing arc.
I prefer it to the ac20 wang.
Loadout as follows: YEN-LO-WANG

#19 Chiun44

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

The Wang is my favorite mech by far.

The opposition will target that right arm immediately - the AC20 allows you to spiral in from a counterclockwise circle showing your left shield arm, turn in fast, fire, swing your torso away, give it ~ 3.5 seconds and then start lining up that next shot.

If you are always facing your target with your CT, you lose the right arm FAST. Or your CT. I'm not a huge fan of always facing my target for that reason. No AC2s, and that's my concern with AC5 and UAC5, even AC10. Any time I've run with Gauss, I lose that Gauss way too fast.

The AC20 gets a LOT of kills - it's a great mech finisher. Med pulse lasers work better if you have the weight because of the short firing time letting you get the torso rotated out.

I've gone the route of standard engines for the Wang zombie as needed - it means you get to hang around longer, but makes it impossible to go to pulse lasers if you still want 89 kph. You go XL, you can do a LOT, but I like the survivability of standard and you get to zombie.

I've had many missions end with one leg, only CT and head left, with no armor left anywhere, but still up plugging away with those 2 med lasers.

You go lights out on a mission, you can get 900+ damage. Personal best is 6 kills without dying, but I've also done 700 damage with only 1 kill.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 August 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

also, do to beam duration, M Pulse are MUCH better for strafing.

View PostGandalfrockman, on 18 August 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

THE YEN LO WANG IS EFFING AMAZING!

However I am surprised no-one hears has any love for the rapid fire dual uac 5 wang
It technically has 2 ballistic hardpoints in that arm, and dual uac5s can lay in a continuous stream of pain while your torso twist and incredible speed keep you out of their firing arc.
I prefer it to the ac20 wang.
Loadout as follows: YEN-LO-WANG

because I can do that combo, better, in other Cents?

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users