Can We Get A Scale Comparison For The Project Pheonix Mechs?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I want to buy project Pheonix I REALLY do...
but 80 bucks is a fair sized chunk of cash (Ill buy overlord or nothing) and after the craptaro incident, I'm disinclined to pay for mechs sight unseen.

So can we just get some screenshots of all 4 mechs standing next to an atlas?
If the scale looks reasonable (ie, shadowhawk not tall as atlas, thunderbolt not gigantic, etc.) I';ll buy it in a heartbeat. The game is at a point now where when its fun, its REALLY FUN, and when its not fun its pretty 'meh'.

Before anyone starts in about how there is no scale problem, and everything is exactly the size its supposed to be because of density and construction and blah blah blah....
That's a load of crap, I know a fair bit about 3d animation and modeling and its really obvious whats going on they are reusing alot of skeletons and anims, thats why the kintaro also handles like a heavy as well as being sized like one. Resizing skeletons is a lot of work in most engines (unreal does a fantastic job with it, but I dont think crysis does) so basically they aren't willing or are unable to put the time into properly build out the new skeletons and are just cobbling them together from previous mechs. THEN they are not bothering to test mechs properly before releasing them.

In most game development projects I've worked on "Scale Adjustment" or "Scale Verification" is a step in the asset pipeline. So either they forgot to add that step, or whoever is in charge of that step is asleep at the wheel.

They should have realized the Goldenboy was a complete train wreck inside of 3 matches, so clearly they aren't testing product before release.

Edited by Gandalfrockman, 18 August 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

This is a leaked video of what the Locust's size will be:

Here is the Shadow Hawk:

#3 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I hope the locust is built on some already completed flea skeleton, if it comes out the size of a jenner-cicada with its pitiful armor it will be completely pointless and the forums will implode.

If the mechs are already completed then they can do as you say and post a comparison screenshot. Or you know a series of videos as that would really help boost sales. If these scales are right...

#4 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Q: How many hardpoints does unicron have?

A: over 9000, but he instantly overheats and shuts down if he fires more than 4 of them at a time.

#5 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 18 August 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I hope the locust is built on some already completed flea skeleton, if it comes out the size of a jenner-cicada with its pitiful armor it will be completely pointless and the forums will implode.

Currently I'm expecting it will be Jenner/Cicada sized... But I'll play it anyways... If it proves true though maybe PGI can toss us a bone and give a special badge to those who master big Phoenix Locusts... Or clown paint... clown paint could be fun....

#6 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

I believe that the Locust will be about the size of the Commando or the Spider or maybe slightly smaller. The Shadowhawk and Thunderbolt should be roughly the same size as the Centurion. The Battlemaster I presume will be about the height of the Awesome.

#7 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Battlemaster unveiled.

#8 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 18 August 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I believe that the Locust will be about the size of the Commando or the Spider or maybe slightly smaller. The Shadowhawk and Thunderbolt should be roughly the same size as the Centurion. The Battlemaster I presume will be about the height of the Awesome.

That's quite an optimistic estimate, considering the disastrous scale of recent mechs, I'd rather wait and see. The real problem I have with the mechs are hard-points and tonnage.

20 tons is uselessly light, a single AC/20 shot will cripple the Locust. 55t you're getting somewhere, but currently mediums usually melt from PPC/Gauss. Another 65t heavy, with a wide torso(wheres my 75t Orion!). 85t Assault, a better Awesome, possible contender of the Stalker(unlikely).

Edited by Stingz, 18 August 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 18 August 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Battlemaster unveiled.

The video is blocked in my country. :P

#10 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND its gone.
My thread has now been banished to upcoming features where no one will see it, support it or talk about it.
So much for my vain hope that PGI gives a crap about my $80.....

#11 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 18 August 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

My thread has now been banished to upcoming features where no one will see it, support it or talk about it.

What are you on about upcoming features is fairly active, and I'm sure more information will come, it will if they want more sales.

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostStingz, on 18 August 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

That's quite an optimistic estimate, considering the disastrous scale of recent mechs, I'd rather wait and see. The real problem I have with the mechs are hard-points and tonnage.

20 tons is uselessly light, a single AC/20 shot will cripple the Locust. 55t you're getting somewhere, but currently mediums usually melt from PPC/Gauss. Another 65t heavy, with a wide torso(wheres my 75t Orion!). 85t Assault, a better Awesome, possible contender of the Stalker(unlikely).

As a matter of fact, it can take exatly 1 AC20 round without getting a component destroyed, assuming you put at least 11 armor on the ST. Add a ML to that, then you are dead.

#13 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 August 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

As a matter of fact, it can take exatly 1 AC20 round without getting a component destroyed, assuming you put at least 11 armor on the ST. Add a ML to that, then you are dead.

Which is why correct scaling and future speed cap increases is crucial for the locust/flea

#14 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

I like how Mech Scaling is now a meme born from MWO.

#15 tayhimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 334 posts
  • LocationAn island

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

[size=6] [/size]BIG THINGS ARE COMING IN... OCTOBER??? :rolleyes:

#16 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 August 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

The video is blocked in my country. ;)

Youtube search tengen toppa gurren lagann transformation.

#17 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Posttayhimself, on 19 August 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

BIG THINGS ARE COMING IN... OCTOBER??? ;)

BIG THINGS ARE COMING IN... OCTOBER 2014???

#18 Devils Advocate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 636 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Kintaro sized locusts. Bring em on.

#19 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 18 August 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALSO, it's where the thread belongs man. :) My bet is that after the Golden Boy debacle, they're rethinking the new mech sizes. Not sure exactly what that means, but I can't imagine them doing something quite that bad. Much of the sizing makes sense from a "mass" standpoint--the Awesome and cent and treb are wide from the front, but very thin from the side--but not at all from a gameplay standpoint. My guess is that they'll try to keep the "mass" sense with some hitbox and geometry adjustments to help with the gameplay. I hope.

#20 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 18 August 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

I want to buy project Pheonix I REALLY do...
but 80 bucks is a fair sized chunk of cash (Ill buy overlord or nothing) and after the craptaro incident, I'm disinclined to pay for mechs sight unseen.

So can we just get some screenshots of all 4 mechs standing next to an atlas?
If the scale looks reasonable (ie, shadowhawk not tall as atlas, thunderbolt not gigantic, etc.) I';ll buy it in a heartbeat. The game is at a point now where when its fun, its REALLY FUN, and when its not fun its pretty 'meh'.

Before anyone starts in about how there is no scale problem, and everything is exactly the size its supposed to be because of density and construction and blah blah blah....
That's a load of crap, I know a fair bit about 3d animation and modeling and its really obvious whats going on they are reusing alot of skeletons and anims, thats why the kintaro also handles like a heavy as well as being sized like one. Resizing skeletons is a lot of work in most engines (unreal does a fantastic job with it, but I dont think crysis does) so basically they aren't willing or are unable to put the time into properly build out the new skeletons and are just cobbling them together from previous mechs. THEN they are not bothering to test mechs properly before releasing them.

In most game development projects I've worked on "Scale Adjustment" or "Scale Verification" is a step in the asset pipeline. So either they forgot to add that step, or whoever is in charge of that step is asleep at the wheel.

They should have realized the Goldenboy was a complete train wreck inside of 3 matches, so clearly they aren't testing product before release.

Yeah I think your right about Scale. The Quickdraw and the Victor look almost exactly alike in height and width and their movements are almost identical. I think this is why a 60 ton QD has the same movement profile as an 85 ton Victor.

As for the Pheonix Package, I have a feeling we are going to see the same thing. Locust might be new but from the look of the models, I think we might get the Hunchback skeleton for the Shadow Hawk which is a great thing. I also think we are going to get the Awesome Skeleton for the Thunderbolt as I can't think of any other reason for the concept art to be that wide. This is really bad. Lastly I think we will get the Victor skeleton for the Battlemaster which will be fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users