85 replies to this topic

#81 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

The OT asked MWO players, regardless of elo, to be decent to new players and act like grown-ups.No one likes to lose, and it's frustrating to spectate with a new player and see all the things they're doing wrong. Still, It shouldn't be hard to askus to remember that we were just as (if not more) stupid when we started and, if we really can't spectate without developing noob-rage, just disconnect and move on to the next match.

Oh, silly silly OT.

Don't you know we can't help but turn your request for civility into a chance to whip out the epeen? We can't just say, "Gee you're right. That's a human being on the other end, and if they're not driving a mech as well as I want them to, I should either offer positive advice or just shut up. I should play my best game and not blame my demise on anyone else, 'noob' or no. Rather, I should think about how I messed up. About what I could have done differently that would allow me to still be in this match and able to do more than complain about someone else's level of play."

Instead, we are going to catalog all the dumb things that new players do, which is unnecessary because (though we will never ever ever admit it!) we did the exact. same. sh*t. when we were new. And that's why it's OK for us to be a*sholes to new players. (One had the mendacity to walk in front of my weapons while I was joy firing...)

No, we can't be blamed for our obnoxious treatment of new players. it's all PGI's fault for expecting me to behave respectfully toward someoneI think I'm better than, when we all know they shouldn't even be allowed on the same map I'm playing on.

#82 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Sigh... So the official answer is not "we are working on it" or "answers will come" or Ui2.0 will fix it.... nah its join the hardcore cheese filled elitist 12v12 drops, and I know its not all like that its just the way it feels compared to the public puging drops. And I hear that these 12 man drops aren't always populated round the clock and sometimes have long wait times.

#83 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 19 August 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Sigh... So the official answer is not "we are working on it" or "answers will come" or Ui2.0 will fix it.... nah its join the hardcore cheese filled elitist 12v12 drops, and I know its not all like that its just the way it feels compared to the public puging drops. And I hear that these 12 man drops aren't always populated round the clock and sometimes have long wait times.

If you are going to compare yourself to a "professional stars", then you would be playing with other "professional stars" in the 12v12 leagues, not in the "amateur" PUG queue. If a professional plays with amateurs, it's because the professional don't give a damn about winning or losing and wants the amateurs to enjoy themselves.

#84 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostFarix, on 19 August 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

If you are going to compare yourself to a "professional stars", then you would be playing with other "professional stars" in the 12v12 leagues, not in the "amateur" PUG queue. If a professional plays with amateurs, it's because the professional don't give a damn about winning or losing and wants the amateurs to enjoy themselves.

How about you try not being a smart *** and go back and actually read and understand my posts before replying its not too hard, my complaint is that new day one people are matched with experienced players with thousands of matches under their belts. And these day one people only have access to pathetic trial mechs while all the experienced players regardless if they are good or not all have access to completed mech trees, mastered mechs and unlocked modules, AKA endgame mechs vs day one trial mechs.

I dont really care if people think i sound all up myself or not (never actually said I was a pro) the point here is that the matchmaker/ELO rankings is completely broken. It is pointless arguing if long term players are good or bad, but it is just very wrong that new people are matched up this way.

As I said before if i didnt have my group of friends with me at the start I probably wouldn't have lasted in this game with the way the new player experience is.

#85 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostI am, on 18 August 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Posted Image

#86 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

First off...allow me to say that I am, by far, the WORST violator of the 'be nice to new players, don't flame them' thing. I get home from work, hop into the game and tend to end up losing the first 8-12 matches in a row. Is that because I'm the WORST player in the game, ever? I'd like to hope not, but I'm sure it's a possibility.

I really think that the problem truly lies in the Matchmaker. The way it's set up to work now, it doesn't foster any sort of learning curve or help anyone get better...it just creates frustration and makes virtually every PUG match an exercise in futility.

And the sad part is, it would be so EASY to fix...or, at least, fix it to such a point where it would actually allow people to progress and play with people that have a similar skill level.

I've read the posts about how the MM works...ELO this, Win/Loss that, blah blah blah. That's all fine and good but there's one thing it OBVIOUSLY doesn't take into consideration that is readily available for it to use.....Unlocked experience trees.

I posted this in another thread, but it applies better here:

Let's say that I unlocked the "MASTERY" tree on Jagermechs. That means, at an absolute minimum, I've been playing the game long enough to grind up 14,250xp to unlock the "BASIC" tree (that's a total of 42,750xp for all three).....then 21,500xp to ulock the "ELITE" tree (total of 64,500 for all three)...and then 21,500xp to unlock "MASTER" (let's just say I only did master for one variant). That's a total of 128,750xp to have MASTERY in a single mech chassis.

If...IF....you average 2000xp per match (and that's pushing it with 12v12 the way the MM works now), that means you have to play 64.375 matches to get there.

I find it difficult to believe that ANYONE can play 64.375 matches and not learn anything at all. For crying out loud, he's got MASTERY lit up on the mech.

So....why is it that the Matchmaker puts people with MASTERY unlocked in their mech into the same games as people that just started the game?

I know this doesn't even begin to touch everything that's wrong with the MM, but consider this: by matching people with similary experience trees into a group (and trying to get the weight classes even, and the weapons loadouts even, blah blah blah), you're going to get a more balanced game AND are going to get less of the "For crying out loud, what the hell are you thinking? LRMs are useless at under 180m and why the hell are you trying to run around a city while zoomed in" comments.

And....here's the big point....as you unlock XP trees, you get put into more experienced groups commensurate with your skill level, etc.

Granted, it's not perfect, but...it'd go a long way toward fixing stuff.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users