My Suggestion For Clan Player Match Rewards

4 replies to this topic

#1 Colin Thrase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

After searching the forums, I've seen some debate back and forth on whether Zellbrigen should be enforced when clans are implemented, but without knowing the method of implementation, it's hard to make a call on whether I would be in favor of it or not.

Here is what I would like to suggest as a means of having the clan honor system implemented in game:
  • Match Rewards (both XP and C-Bills if Clanners are eligible for that currency) for killing an opposing mech will only be awarded to the first Clan player to hit that mech, unless that mech fires upon the clan players teammates during that exchange (in which case only the clan players who were fired upon are eligible for Kill Assist rewards).
  • For the sake of determining whether an opposing mech is currently engaged in a duel, the targeting reticle should indicate whether that mech is unupposed (green triangle), opposed (red triangle), or opposed but has fired upon the player in question (yellow triangle). A clan player may safely fire upon a Green triangle (and continue until that player dies), or a yellow triangle (at his option), but not a red triangle. Firing upon a red triangle target will result in a Zellbrigen XP or C-Bill penalty, similar to the 'Team Kill' penalty currently used in game. Killing a red triangle would be a more severe penalty than simply firing upon one.
  • There will be no 'spotting assist' rewards for clan players, though clan mechs will still have the ability to relay target information to other mechs (so that your team can find the enemy and monitor status of opponents).
  • Default mode for Clan ECM should be in counter-mode (allowing the Clan player to use his SSRMs on ECM opponents, if applicable). Otherwise it functions normally (and has the same modes available as the IS version)
Obviously there is no way to enforce Zellbrigen upon players, nor would I want to tell people how to play, but I believe it will enhance the enjoyment of the game if the long-time fans saw something in-game that rewarded traditional Clan engagement rules. I fully expect Inner Sphere players to take advantage of Clan engagement rules to their advantage, as they did in the novels.
The system above would make sure that Clan players who "fight dirty" would suffer poorer match rewards as a result. In fact, if I were to play a Clan mech, I would expect something similar to the above and wouldn't be surprised if a "Victory" match results in less rewards than a "Loss" match would have had, if I won that victory by dispensing with Zellbrigen entirely. I'm sure PGI could play with the exact XP and Cash rewards for the itemized accomplishments at the end of a match such that...
  • Clan Victory, adhering to Zellbrigen: Match rewards tweaked to be similar to an Inner Sphere victory (though XP and Cash awarded in different quantities per itemized accomplishment in game)
  • Clan Defeat, adhering to Zellbrign: Match rewards tweaked to be similar to an Inner Sphere loss (XP and Cash awarded in different quantities as above)
  • Clan Victory, not adhering to Zellbrigen: Match rewards tweaked to be similar to an Inner Sphere loss
  • Clan Defeat, not adhering to Zellbrigen: Match rewards even lower than an Inner Sphere loss (if not just 0)
Does anyone have any other ideas for implementation of the Clan honor system, or if not, do you have any constructive criticism for the ideas above?

#2 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostColin Thrase, on 18 August 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

OP Recommendation

Until we see how PGI implements Clan-Tech, we don't know if Clanners hold an edge or not. Until we do, I don't see PGI adding your suggested system.

Remember, this is a business, not just a BT fanboi's wetdream. They're going to want to have what players perceive as relatively fair fights or they lose their money-paying players (I admit PGI struggles with balance issues but that's besides the point really). The niche fans of BT/MW likely aren't enough to keep this going if the game has essentially penalties for being a Clanner with no advantage gained.

Personally, I think PGI is going to take social behavior bonuses and penalties largely out of the equation when it comes to balancing Clan Tech and IS Tech. I suspect Clantech will have some advantages, like extra range (canonical), better Endo, DHS etc.....but the weapons I suspect will run hotter and that's PGI's intended balance approach. So, while your weapons hit from further out, you need to make them count when they land to avoid running too hot.

Is that purely canon per the novels or the game books? No. I do not see them trying to use TT/novel factors purely as their baseline for balancing however, simply because I think to do so is untenable.

Just my pair of C-bills on the subject.

Edited by Lukoi, 18 August 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#3 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

I'd like to see proper "Clan" behavior encouraged in the case of Clan players, because I think it would offer a deeper, richer, and more immersive experience overall. I don't know if this is how I would go about it, but this suggestion is a good place to start to fuel discussion on the matter.

#4 Morhadel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

View PostLukoi, on 18 August 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Until we see how PGI implements Clan-Tech, we don't know if Clanners hold an edge or not. Until we do, I don't see PGI adding your suggested system.

Remember, this is a business, not just a BT fanboi's wetdream. They're going to want to have what players perceive as relatively fair fights or they lose their money-paying players (I admit PGI struggles with balance issues but that's besides the point really). The niche fans of BT/MW likely aren't enough to keep this going if the game has essentially penalties for being a Clanner with no advantage gained.

Personally, I think PGI is going to take social behavior bonuses and penalties largely out of the equation when it comes to balancing Clan Tech and IS Tech. I suspect Clantech will have some advantages, like extra range (canonical), better Endo, DHS etc.....but the weapons I suspect will run hotter and that's PGI's intended balance approach. So, while your weapons hit from further out, you need to make them count when they land to avoid running too hot.

Is that purely canon per the novels or the game books? No. I do not see them trying to use TT/novel factors purely as their baseline for balancing however, simply because I think to do so is untenable.

Just my pair of C-bills on the subject.

I can't find the post right now, its been at least i year since i read it, but paul or garth or russ, made a direct comment to a question about balanceing clan tech. It was along the line of Wanting to make MWO a great balanced game and then introducing the clans and having them totally destroy that balance.

#5 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostMorhadel, on 19 August 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

I can't find the post right now, its been at least i year since i read it, but paul or garth or russ, made a direct comment to a question about balanceing clan tech. It was along the line of Wanting to make MWO a great balanced game and then introducing the clans and having them totally destroy that balance.

Lol lemme know when you find it. Sounds like a good read.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users