30 replies to this topic

#1 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

So I've been playing with 3 monitors lately, and with today's patch the view now is quiet interesting (warning the images are 3840 x 1024 and quite large).

This is 3rd person in a JM6-DD (I love the Dakka on the left shoulder, never knew that was there)

Posted Image

This is 1st Person view.

Posted Image

#2 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Nope, that's not an advantage at all. No one could possibly abuse that.

#3 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Violent nerd rage in 3... 2... 1...

Myself on the other hand love the pics.Very jealous of your set up. I had planed to do this with the computer I built 2 years ago but I haven't had the funds.

#4 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

If I'd been drinking something (and if the pictures hadn't taken so long to load), I would have done a spit-take... that is just absurd. That's an enormous advantage over the traditional view.

#5 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostMackman, on 20 August 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

If I'd been drinking something (and if the pictures hadn't taken so long to load), I would have done a spit-take... that is just absurd. That's an enormous advantage over the traditional view.

Its also stretched over 3 monitors.

#6 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostGroovYChickeN, on 20 August 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

And?

The increase in vision is far beyond what's afforded in 1PV. And since PGI made such a huge deal about "no for reals guys its totally balanced by various factors", this is important, because it throws the whole balance back out of whack. It affords an enormous advantage over both 1PV players and players in any mode without 3 monitors.

Yes, some degree of hardware-related imbalance is inevitable: But this amount is just stupid.

#7 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostGroovYChickeN, on 20 August 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

It isn't stretched over 3 monitors, it's using a wider FOV and putting sections of the screen on 3 monitors to make it closer to normal FOV on monitor one.

#8 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

View Postwirikidor, on 20 August 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

So I've been playing with 3 monitors lately, and with today's patch the view now is quiet interesting (warning the images are 3840 x 1024 and quite large).

This is 3rd person in a JM6-DD (I love the Dakka on the left shoulder, never knew that was there)

Posted Image

This is 1st Person view.

Posted Image

View PostMonky, on 20 August 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

It isn't stretched over 3 monitors, it's using a wider FOV and putting sections of the screen on 3 monitors to make it closer to normal FOV on monitor one.

Yes, its stretched across 3 monitors. That is what Nvidia Surround is.

#9 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostGroovYChickeN, on 20 August 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Violent nerd rage in 3... 2... 1...

Myself on the other hand love the pics.Very jealous of your set up. I had planed to do this with the computer I built 2 years ago but I haven't had the funds.
Proof that 3PV is pay to win.

lol

#10 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Need a single monitor comparison picture to really judge how much extra vision it provides.

#11 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostFunkyFritter, on 20 August 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

Need a single monitor comparison picture to really judge how much extra vision it provides.

Agreed. You can get a rough estimate by looking at the edge of the UI. That would roughly be the edge of the center screen.

#12 Kryuus

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Try that in a Raven 3L or mech that has a wide-window'd cockpit. I have 3 Monitors myself and I can view roughly that wide inside the cockpit as long as there are windows where you have walls.

#13 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Yup, no advantage here, just the same as seismic sensors, etc. etc.

#14 rocket Magnet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

No developer in their right mind is even going to give a second thought to idiots like yourself (AND ME!) who have more money than sense and has a triple monitor setup when it comes to balancing their game, the population of players who have this "advantage" is so small why bother.

I would have used the cataphracts to demonstrate this issue the Jager's have tiny first person views at the best of times.

edit: I would also like to know what your fps is like, I've had to drop back to a single monitor as no matter what graphical settings I use when in triple I get 15-20fps. I get 80-100 on a single with fully maxed settings.

multiedit: hell I'll go get some screencaps of the ilya and atlas cockpits now at 6040x1080

Edited by rocket Magnet, 20 August 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#15 Panboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationDublin Ireland

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

btw guys ya don't Need 3 monitors to set your POV that wide, you can do it on one. You'll get this weird Fish eye effect but it can be done. And if Quake players of old are anything to go by it will be playable if your willing to put in the effort to get used to it.

#16 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

links dont work for meeeh SAD FACE

#17 rocket Magnet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

As promised, I'm hoping these boards will auto timg images, otherwise a moderator can do it because :effort:, So while it is an advantage on the atlas, 3pv is an advantage no matter what your resolution.

I've found triple monitors to be a great experience in many games, but they sure arent a great experience in this one and sure aren't an advantage the developers need to spend any kind of time worrying about.

ilya 1pv
Posted Image

ilya 3pv
Posted Image

atlas 1pv
Posted Image
atlas 3pv
Posted Image

#18 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

View Postwirikidor, on 20 August 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

I tried to take an identical shot from my single 1600x900 resolution. No Jager though, so this is the best I could do. I added coordinates if anyone wants to try it themselves.

Posted Image

Edited by Jman5, 20 August 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#19 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

That is absurd, so much for flanking and trying to sneak around. Do you get proper target indicators for enemies/friendlies who appear far off to the side, even?

#20 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

is this what having spidy sense is like ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users