#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

New players, please be aware:

When you are in 3rd person view, a big red flashing beacon hovers above and behind your Mech.

It attracts enemy attention. If your lance is attempting to stealthily flank around the enemy, that beacon will likely tip off the enemy, ruin the strategy, and end up with most of the enemy team's fire focused on you and your team mates.

The big red beacon also marks you out as probably a less experienced player - potentially an easy kill - and therefore is something of a munitions magnet.

You can stow your Noob Beacon by hitting F4 and going back to first person view.

In first person view, you will also benefit from other very useful pilot **** such as a mini map showing the locations of your team and the enemy, weapon and ammunition readouts, and more.

Edited by Appogee, 21 August 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

I was playing last night. Funny story.

I was flanking a Victor, trying to draw its attention away from a mech it had begun to wail on. UAC/5. Bang. Bang. Bang. Slow firing, yes, but each shot was a precise hit despite 600 meters and a target moving perpendicular to myself. "He's ignoring me," I bark into the comms for my lance mates. Twin LB-10xs + UAC/5. P-pow BANG! Ignored. "That mother-f's ignoring me!"

Meanwhile I am in a brown Muromets against grey and white. There are 11 enemies within eye sight of me 90 degrees to the right but they are all shooting some stalker that crested over the hill. I turn my attention back on the Victor who has now legged our light. I got to draw his attention to save that light (because I get a HUGE cash bonus for saving his metal butt! WOOT!!!).

I pressed F4. The third person beacon comes out. The light goes blip, blip, blip.

At least 8 mechs suddenly started shooting at me. Right arm, left arm, right leg, all gone almost instantly. "You've got to be f-" headshot. Dead. "...kidding me."

Trust me, you can draw some attention with that. It's not good attention.

#3 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 August 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

At least 8 mechs suddenly started shooting at me. Right arm, left arm, right leg, all gone almost instantly. "You've got to be f-" headshot. Dead. "...kidding me."
Trust me, you can draw some attention with that. It's not good attention.

Goddamit I laughed so hard that I almost wet myself :D :angry: :rolleyes:
But yes, everytime I have seen one of those drones, that ******* have died immediatelly when he have showed himself. Kinda "whack-a-mole"-game ingame.

Edited by VXJaeger, 21 August 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#4 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostVXJaeger, on 21 August 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Goddamit I laughed so hard that I almost wet myself :D :angry: :rolleyes:
But yes, everytime I have seen one of those drones, that ******* have died immediatelly when he have showed himself. Kinda "whack-a-mole"-game ingame.

Ummm... I've only played 4 matches so far with 3POV patch. In every one I've paid special loving attention to anyone who had that thing turned on. So did my team.

It appears that the Community has solved the 3POV issue by overly judicious applications of firepower.

Use it and you die!

Haz a niec dai o/

#5 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostscJazz, on 21 August 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Ummm... I've only played 4 matches so far with 3POV patch. In every one I've paid special loving attention to anyone who had that thing turned on. So did my team.

It appears that the Community has solved the 3POV issue by overly judicious applications of firepower.

Use it and you die!

Haz a niec dai o/

Yes, I've used it only once and died somewhat 4s later after drawing attention from 3 PPCG-snipers and a LRM-boat.
I've never before been vaporized so fast :D

#6 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostVXJaeger, on 21 August 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Yes, I've used it only once and died somewhat 4s later after drawing attention from 3 PPCG-snipers and a LRM-boat.
I've never before been vaporized so fast :)

You know... it is funny in a way. The Players are so pissed off about 3POV that a feature implemented to help newbs learn how to pilot their mech results in immediate fiery death. So immediate that they never even have a chance to accidentally slam into a building.

#7 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I think that no matter Bryan or Paul think of 3PV's usefulness, it would be bigger PGI's interest to implement HC-mode. Just to protect new gamers, to whom 3PV is most helpful, it should be brought. Old farts don't use it anyway 'cause it's just too dangerous to give away your position to everybody on 1km radius.

Edited by VXJaeger, 21 August 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#8 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

I don't think encouraging new players to team kill is good. Yelling at new players in game to turn it off would be bad as well. Tell them how to turn it off and why would be better. Encouraging them to take advantage of the red mark of death is good too. But you really shouldn't confuse them with telling them TK is okay.

#9 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, encouraging new players to team kill isn't a great idea.

Especially since intentional teamkilling can be reported and punished. Also it's just not cool. if they clearly don't know what they're doing, politely let them know that being in third person view can potentially give away their position behind cover. Let them learn when it's a good time to use it and when it's not. It does have its uses, if you know what you're doing.

Raging at a new player when they likely don't know better isn't going to help matters.

#10 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostJestun, on 21 August 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Please be aware new players - you should shoot anyone who has a silly flashing beacon regardless of what team they are on.

They are giving away your position if they are an ally and must be punished!

********. Stop promoting stupid fragmentary, destructive ideas. You're reported.

Newbies: there's a lot of rage against 3PV right now, and you should know that. If you have a problem with someone TKing for any reason, please try to cap a screenshot, remember the name, and use the "report" button in the forums or send an email to support@mwomercs.com detailing the incident. TKing is never OK.

The rest of the information here is good: try to use 3PV to figure out how your mech moves, but hit to 1PV (F4) when you start engaging so that you and your team don't give away position or draw fire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users