29 replies to this topic

#21 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

I find the 2X to actually be pretty fun. I run an ERLL and 2 ML with an XL245. I've a positive K/D on it (13/5 between 14 matches).

#22 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

Am just the 3500 xp short of 3 basic unlocks of the Ravens now. So, the 1 basic skill. If I understand the skill system correctly, it works as follows:

Unlock 3 basics to unlock that elite
Unlock 3 elites across three of same weight class to unlock master

The question I have on this at this point is the Master skill then joined between all light mechs or just the 3 light mech categories you worked on to get it open?

#23 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Unlocking Master makes it available to any Variant that is eligible.

You could get 3 Jenners next do Basic in all 3, sell 2 of them, drive that one up to Master.

#24 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

Part of the problem is that not every weapon/mech is viable. It's hard to make a tutorial that explains to new players, "Never ever buy a RVN-4x unless you like a challenge or are mastering your 3L." People would see that and go "What the hell, why would you put this in a tutorial, if you know it's broken, just fix it." I mean, PGI even admitted a few months ago that the RVN-2/4x were bad, Garth said they would be getting a buff (it never materialized, though).

If you balance the game, you balance out the new player experience. If flamers were worth their 1 ton, then it wouldn't be a problem if a new player loaded up the game and threw some flamers on a mech, it's balanced already so they'll be able to find their niche and do well if the flamer is what they want to use.

#25 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

I am fine with some mechs being expendable. For example: I will be keeping my 3L because, ECM if extremely nice to have. I have a plan for the 4x, but the 2x will be scrapped eventually to give me back the bay slot. I don't need a non-jump jet capable light mech with not ecm on it. It serves no purpose, besides a xp grinding mech to open the Raven Unlocks.

The 4X has a niche, though, not nearly as useful of one as the 3L. The 2X one is kind of punishment for those people that did something wrong.

Generally speaking, bays will determine if I get rid of a mech. And truthfully, There may not be a real reason to do it, they don't seem too expensive overall. Note: I am not too worried about spending the 15 or so dollars on average a month. That is what I would pay any normal MMO.

A tutorial would have to give far too much information to a new player to be useful. I figured my original reason for posting this thread was to catch any new player that may have been reading through to kind of warn them what may trip them up.

I have my plan for path at the moment, Ravens through elite, Commando or Spider through elite, Locus to Elite. Then master them. At that point, I can worry about the next weight class, I want to work on. The only thing I need to do is find a good guide on what is good of the gxp items. I am guessing Target Retension and 360 targetting.

Edited by Macbrea, 26 August 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#26 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

GXP... ahhhhh... there is a good one.

Never spend GXP on anything but Pilot Lab > Pilot Tree unlocks!

Number one module is Seismic Sensor!

Target Retention and 360 are only useful for missile boats really

Advanced Zoom is nearly useless

Once you pay the CB for a Module it upgrades itself when you get the Advanced Skill unlocked.

DERP EDIT: You can convert unused XP from a Variant to GXP using MC.
1 MC = 25XP -> 25GXP
You can only do this if you own the Variant!
Read that last line again!

XP Conversion goes on sale once a month or so then you can convert 50xp for 1 MC.

Edited by scJazz, 26 August 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#27 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

This basically happened to me when I first came back from hiatus (I was originally in closed beta, but shortly after it went open beta I had to stop playing due to PC problems, eventually got a new laptop though and her I am) I came back, one of the standard dragons was on sale for MC and like a chump I bought into that, and joyfully ground away my cadet bonus (Which I had no idea what that was at the time as they ninjaed it in when I was gone) trying to find a configuration of dragons I liked and picking up a extra dragon.

Long and short of it cadet bonus out the door, $7 worth of MC (ish) out the window and a firm case of buyers remorse all around due to the dragons massive beergut clashing badly with my preferred playstyle (Seriously someone give that thing a tummy tuck). Unfortunately this is a all to familiar story for many newer players, MWO is a game where you can be excited to play and that eagerness to play will burn your biscuits if no don't know anyone who plays (and this gives out these vital hints) and don't spend hours slumming around the forums. (Oh did I mention the 5-8 second hint that MIGHT show up during your loading screen? there is that too.)

#28 Jenovah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

don't forget-- cap accelerator is nice to have on lights as well. Cap accel+seismic are the two I almost always run.

#29 Szegedin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Target Info gathering sounds handy for lights as well, - I'm always stuck waiting for the damage map to load so I know where to target my pinpricks.

#30 Kazly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

You get a free day of premium time as well, which will help some with the xp and cbill accumulation.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users