I'd Like To "stick" Mwo (Newb Stick Inquiry)

26 replies to this topic

#21 Blyze

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostEyeDie I, on 30 August 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

i have an old thrustmaster top gun stick with a mark2 wpns controller and rudder pedals from my mw2 mercenaries days that i cant attach to my comp anymore,i dont know how to with windows7 and no game port.

You need something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...s-/261267773820

Posted Image

#22 Icedman

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I love my joystick in left hand... set twist on the joystick to mech legs and throttle to HAT switch up and down. Mouse for torso/arm movement and groups 1,2,4 and zoom (for me). I use joystick trigger for 3, which is generally missiles on my mechs.

Seems to work nicely.

#23 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thought I'd provide a bit of an update to my progress:

About a week after using the analog Throttle, I guess the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. In roughly 350 matches so far, I've brought my KDR up from the cesspool of barely .1 to .33 in a week (technically a little less, as I didn't play over the long weekend.) While I'm certain part of this is the improved accuracy and reaction of the new controller, I'm also sure part of it is finally getting a modecum of field situational awareness, position, strategy, etc Keep in mind too that aside from running duos with my buddy, all of my matches have been PUGs. No telling where I might be if I managed to get into a fairly well-run 4-man Lance with voice chat.

Soooo, conclusion: for me, the flight stick/throttle was a definite improvement. Very pleased thus far, and now I very well may look into a more robust controller.

#24 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

You are coming along very well. Gratz on the .33

#25 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

The force is strong in this one...

I may be the only one out there, but I use a full HOTAS set up. I was using a Saitek X45 until my rudder rocker broke (not mad, it was a 10 year old stick) Now I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my X52 Pro. I find that using the stick, while slower, allows for better precision. I also like the fact that SST software allows me to program macros for pesky things like Gauss rifle charge up and simultaneous PPC fire. I bought the X52 Pro for $169, but you can get the X52 for about $100. I went for the pro because of asthetic and because the construction is metal (no more broken rockers). I think there is a user.cfg floating around the forums that enables you to increase the gain to make the joystick faster and more mouse like, is that correct?

#26 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'm also looking at the X52 Pro. I'm sure with a little practice I might be able to negotiate aim/torso with a stick rather than a mouse. Most of my mechs are trending toward heavies (and potentially assaults) currently, so the ability to twitch-turn isn't as crucial as it might be in a Jenner or Spider.

I'll keep my eyes open for that .cfg file, thanks for the tip! ;)

#27 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

The nice thing about the X52 series is that there is no rudder rocker. The rudder channel is a joystick twist. So you can either have the twist represent the legs, or you can have it represent the actual torso twist. (I haven't decided which way I will put it, I may just end up confusing myself). With the X45 I was able to program every button I needed to the sticks. Both set ups allow for six functions for each button (3 modes and a pinky shift) My hands never left either stick to do anything except type in chat. (I plan on setting up macros for common things I type too) I also run heavies and mediums (lights make me carsick ;) ) and I put up decent numbers and I can take out lights trying to circle strafe me, so I don't know that it is that huge of an impact on the stick. It IS noticeable though, so if you are used to mouse movement, it will take some getting used to. I fortunately started the game on my stick so I only know that movement. Anyway, if you actually get the X52, let me know, I'll post my SST profile so you can see how I program the stick. BTW, for what its worth...I swear by Saitek joysticks. I have been playing computer games and flight sims since....well since 1 GB of HD space was a lot...And even further back when...well when there were no hard drives and my flight sims fit on a 5.25 in disk.. Point is I've been through a lot of joysticks and ALL my Saitek stick last a long time. They are well worth the investment.

Edited by MnDragon, 05 September 2013 - 03:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users