The Light Spam Is More Annoying Than The Assault Spam

18 replies to this topic

#1 Gunivar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

While Assault Mechs can provide an unfair edge to a team that is lucky enough to have many more of them compared to the current enemy team, they are easy targets and weaving in and out of cover can be very effective against them.
Lights are on the other hand can't be out maneuvered.
Thanks to poor hit detection and lack of general ability to actually just get crosshairs on the damn things, they can cause more problems to a team than two assault mechs would in a weight-balanced game.
I would much rather fight a team of Assault Mechs than a team with packs of Light Mechs.
(I play Cent, BTW)
(Edit, MWO In a Nutshell:
)

Edited by Gunivar, 24 August 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#2 Robertthedread

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Funny but 4 atlas's not scary. 4 lights working together will tear a team apart. Lights can take twice to three times the hit a atlas can so, yeah, they are rough.

#3 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Drive a streak boat.

#4 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

At the current time, with hit detection issues rampant, I do find It easier to take down an Atlas than a couple circling sneaky Jenners. But, like all things that have been considered overpowered before, the day of the un-hitable light will see it's day and die. Plus, being forced to deal with this, while frustrating, taught me some new tactics and forced me to learn new aiming and weapon grouping tactics to deal with the lights.

#5 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostEcrof, on 24 August 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Drive a streak boat.

Yes, but after she SRM nerf they aren't nearly as effective against anything larger than a light. Their damage was reduced and even SRM6s, whitch DO have enough power to be viable against a large mech, are more like a shotgun than a scalpel and it's hard to do their damage to individual parts of a mech, even with Artemis. (I have played with SRMs a lot) Of course, you can never be ready for every single eventuality in this game and shine in every one. Beasts at long-range combat tend to get owned up close, close range mechs get trashed on big open maps, etc...

Edited by Mcchuggernaut, 24 August 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#6 Robertthedread

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

I agree, I just think its funny that for most people an atlas is an easy kill and you think nothing of it, but killing a skilled light and you are jumping up and down yelling at the screen LOL

#7 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostRobertthedread, on 24 August 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

killing a skilled light and you are jumping up and down yelling at the screen LOL

I know, right? I get one and I'm thinking: "That was sooooo satisfying!".

#8 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

That's why the new weight balancing system for groups will have a minimum and a maximum weight. It should reduce the problems a bit.

#9 Robertthedread

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Funny but I never did think about minimum weights, just max weights, but I did see one 12 light mech team once. They were everywhere and just smoke us faster than anything. It was funny, frustrating, but mostly funny. lol

#10 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Wanna kill lights? Then drive one for awhile. When you become competent, you will know how to blow them apart, where they hide, how they line up to strafe, etc. Plus, it is way more exciting to run a commando or spider through a crowd of laser boats than to do it in an atlas. You might actually pick somebody off and live to tell about it...if you're lucky.

#11 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Thats why i run my quickdraw 5k with 6 medium pulse lasers and an xl360 and no jumpjets.. Its tough enough to take on multiple lights while deals up front damage to leg those mechs quickly and fast enough to keep pace with them. I can Kill 3 light mechs myself before the 4th one brings me down. I consider that successful.

Edited by Sable, 24 August 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#12 Szegedin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

I predominantly drive a Jenner 7F - and second Geodeath's comment.

I recently bought a Highlander 733C and despite being a rotten assault pilot in general - one thing I'm decent at is hitting lights with the AC20. I don't make a habit of firing at them, but every once in awhile when they're the only targets or are starting to circle...

All that time in a Jenny may have taught me something about taking them down.

Otherwise the best medicine for lights is other lights, so hope you have some on your team. Dueling and chasing enemy lights with my 7F jetting, spinning and snap firing its small pulses as we weave in and out of opposing firing lines is the best fun I've had in MWO thus far.

Edited by Szegedin, 24 August 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#13 Gunivar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

We don't have to ensure we have Assaults to beat Assaults.
We don't have to ensure we have Heavies to beat Heavies.
We don't have to ensure we have Mediums to fight Mediums.
Why should we get penalized just because the match maker decided to not give us many lights, while giving the other team several?

#14 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

You have problems hitting Light Mechs? HSR does the job too good imo.

#15 Oktoglokk

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

When the last mech alive on the enemy team is a fresh Atlas, I smile.
When the last mech alive on the enemy team is a Spider, I frown. We're going to be here for a while and if it's Conquest and we're not ahead on cap we'll probably lose, even if there's half a dozen of us.

If I ever get caught dueling a medium, heavy or assault mech alone, win or lose it's satisfying.
If I ever get caught dueling a light mech alone, win or lose I feel frustrated and unsatisfied.

#16 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostRobertthedread, on 24 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Funny but 4 atlas's not scary. 4 lights working together will tear a team apart. Lights can take twice to three times the hit a atlas can so, yeah, they are rough.

only if everyone forget streaks or an AC/20. Both drop lights in no time.

#17 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Medium lasers and streaks are the anti-light.

I have been playing lights (Jenner) for two days now, (Medium/Heavy since OpenBeta) and can tell you right now that streaks and medium lasers are a PRIME light deterrent. 6ML Blackjack? "No thanks, I'm out." LRM boat or 2ppc-1gauss sniper? "Wheeeeee NOM NOM NOM".

That said, I understand the frustrations (thanks Spider pilots, giving lights a bad rap) of those being nibbled apart by un-hittable lights. All I can say is keep a balanced build and don't allow yourself to get separated. Lights tend to roll in packs and that's downright scary...

--billyM

#18 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

We can actually blame the Raven 3L for a lot of this. It drove other lights to extinction for months, causing a lot of people to play heavier chassis, such as the DDC, just so they could jam them and then return fire with 3 streaks of their own.

PGI hasn't learned much I guess, since HSR is in a terrible state for fast movers right now.

#19 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Postgeodeath, on 24 August 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Wanna kill lights? Then drive one for awhile. When you become competent, you will know how to blow them apart, where they hide, how they line up to strafe, etc. Plus, it is way more exciting to run a commando or spider through a crowd of laser boats than to do it in an atlas. You might actually pick somebody off and live to tell about it...if you're lucky.

This.

Anytime you can't crack the shell of something new, use it. You learn its capabilities and its weakness.

Adam Steiner said:

Cross training is the way to victory. Specialization leads to defeat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users