- - - - -

Basic 12Man Formations

6 replies to this topic

#1 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

--simple formation for 12s that requires a bit of trust in the team.
--only have to order main forces movements.
--(slightly more advanced) main force can be split into two groups used for flanking.
--supports and scouts use their best judgement to move themselves accordingly.

Scouts: Fast light mechs

Main Force: brawlers, tanks, flank force, mainly direct fire

Support: Long range direct and indirect fire.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by King Arthur IV, 25 August 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#2 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

Obviously requires good organization to work correctly, but its a good thing for new players to know where there mechs fit in.

#3 Kill Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Your graph is correct but unfortunately it typically goes "and... squirrel".

"All systems nominal, quick everyone scatter"

Sometimes a team (PGI's version of a team) can work together, most of the time not, there's always the Cent that runs way ahead and dies alone or the Atlas that thinks he's going to walk 3000 meters and cap by himself. We actually had a game last night where we had a lance get on the other teams cap, about halfway through they got off the cap and decided they would just fight each other.

A dedicated lobby system would help immensely as far as improving game play but teamwork is OP so we have to do without.

#4 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 25 August 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

Is it just me, or does this look like a Neon Mickey Mouse? :)

Seriously, nice basic diagram and explanation.

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

That's all fine and dandy, but when that force is oriented in one direction, especially on bigger maps like Alpine Peaks, it gets flanked pretty easily.

I'll go try (with my weakling art skills) to diagram thiis.

Nevermind, I'm too weak in the force. And I don't have access to Photoshop.

Imagine all those times on Alpine Peaks that two opposing forces have passed by one another, exchanging hardly a shot, barely even noticing one another, and a zero-casualty encounter cap-win ensues. It happens far more often than I care for. And it is a result of such 'formation'.

There is a reason that lore/canon has four mechs to a lance, three lances to a company, and so forth. Such organization is similar to that of most military forces for over a century now.

It's also lacking in vision, though. But we're kinda stuck with it in the current iteration of 12v12.

Try this: Three lances. One has two scouts and two long-range support mechs. The other two are brawling. One of the brawl lances is heavier, the other faster.

Recon/support lance has a twofold mission. 1-Identify enemy targets; 2-attack identified targets at range with direct and indirect fire support weapons systems.

Fast brawl lance also has a twofold mission. 1-maneuver toward enemy force, so as to draw that force toward heavy brawl lance; 2-attack enemy force in coordination with heavy lance.

Heavy lance has a single mission. KILL STUFF. Do it fast, effectively.

That first lance is the only one that, by design, does not maneuver as a single unit. It's tricky, too. Each scout is paired with a support mech (ideally, a Catapult or Jagermech). In either case, the scout is out forward but within not more than 1.5 times the weapon range of the paired support mech. If it's direct-fire, that's likely AC2 or Gauss. For LRM it's the 1km range plus another 500. The scout is going to have to be FAST, of course, so that it can fall back if/when spotted to within the fire support range of its teammate. At any rate, this lance effective operates as two teams, and in either team the support mech should be directing.

In both of the other two lances, the slowest/heaviest mech should also be the one in charge. The heavy lance's commander should also be directing the company as a whole. He directs the recon/support lance where to get scouts' eyes on, and the two team leaders figure out the routes for themselves. Company commander also directs his own lance and the fast brawl lance where to position themselves initially, in order to be best able to respond once the scouts have eyes on or are in contact. The fast brawl lance commander takes charge of his own lance and directs them in accordance with the company commander's orders.

And so on.

For now, that seems to be the best layout. Again, for big maps, the scouts will most likely want to run near the sides of the map toward the enemy, and to keep their attention focused only in one direction--toward the center. They'll both want to have beagle and/or advanced sensor range module. ECM CAN be a plus, but it can also be a giveaway; we can't turn Guardian OFF, so scouts with ECM want to stay more than 200m away from any enemies unless in contact already.

The scouts need to keep in mind that once outside the max range of friendly fire support, they're on their own. If they're not ready to take on 12 enemies at once, they had better be cautious.

Edited by TheRAbbi, 25 August 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#6 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Spoiler

my basic format gives the freedom to play anything in the general role. since i have not specified how many or what mechs you need in certain roles, your team is free to make their own composition that suits their own play style. This basic formation can be easily master and effective when you apply the "flanking force."
the weakness in ANY formation is getting out maneuvered "flanked", this is why i dont believe this is a specific weakness to this basic formation alone. The key to any formations success is cohesive response time, this is applied offensively and defensively.

your idea is alot more advanced then mine, i plan to make some advanced ones after i do a few more basic formations.
things that i consider more advanced are
--increasing scout range
--splitting main force into more then 2 groups
--setting traps
--snipers set in certain location
--micromanaging scouts movements.
--specific lance composition and weapon load outs
ill leave it at that.

#7 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts