Skins Skins Skins

15 replies to this topic

#1 vamp

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Please allow for skining of mechs starsiege allowed importation of jpeg files and full custom skins to be created for any mech. Nothing like being beaten in battle by a mech that carries the logos of your favorite snack food or beverage. Seriously some of the skins were works of art. Please consider.

#2 Steadfast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 767 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

That they may be, but I allways prefer equal chances for everyone without forcing one to use addons like Hit-Box Skins or other stuff.
Sorry to say so, but ... no, just don't.

Take care all
~S~
Daniel

#3 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hell No. Would any mechwarrior worth his salt stride onto the battlefield decked out in a "Lucky Charms" cereal paint job?

#4 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

i think it would be pretty neat. maybe not cannon, but the persons mech they have and theme they have on it is a representation of the person piloting it and would add a bit of depth to it. also.. the thought of piloting a firestarter with just flamers and infernos in a pink pretty pony theme would be really funny and the icy on the cake to just ******* them off just that much more.

#5 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

View Postagent_cooper, on 10 November 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hell No. Would any mechwarrior worth his salt stride onto the battlefield decked out in a "Lucky Charms" cereal paint job?

Only a member of Cranston Snord's Irregulars.

#6 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

View Postvamp, on 10 November 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

Please allow for skining of mechs starsiege allowed importation of jpeg files and full custom skins to be created for any mech. Nothing like being beaten in battle by a mech that carries the logos of your favorite snack food or beverage. Seriously some of the skins were works of art. Please consider.

I seriously doubt you'll see any publicly viewable player skins. Too much moderation needed, and they probably plan on selling you skins for your mech. Maybe you'll be able to do your skins locally at least.

#7 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

Custom unit logos, Mechwarrior 4 style, I'm all for.

Custom paint schemes would be nice, but I could imagine someone finding a way to abuse it. I'd sooner lose it than give munchkins and trolls the opportunity to damage the multiplayer community more than they already do.

Instead, I'd love to see "Camo Packs" released that would grant access to extra paint schemes.

Also, Camouflage patterns that are just basic textures, but allow you to use RGB sliders for Primary/Secondary/Tertiary hues much in the same vein as Dawn of War.

Edited by ice trey, 10 November 2011 - 11:21 PM.

#8 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

View Postice trey, on 10 November 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

Instead, I'd love to see "Camo Packs" released that would grant access to extra paint schemes.

They would be a great example of things to sell for real money-- no tactical advantage, not something you HAVE to have to compete, but I know I would throw down cash for good looking paint schemes, especially ones for specific units.

#9 Glare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts
  • LocationAtreus

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

I, for one, would love to have House Unit camo and parade colors to use on my 'Mech.

#10 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 10 November 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

I seriously doubt you'll see any publicly viewable player skins. Too much moderation needed, and they probably plan on selling you skins for your mech. Maybe you'll be able to do your skins locally at least.

Darn, there goes my plan to paint a big pair of jugs on my Hunchback and distract opponents for a second or two :)

#11 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

One way to stop people from having pictures that are inappropriate, such as nude woman, certain words. is to make it a payed service in so that you pay to be able to load up so many pictures. these pictures are then sent in and approved to use and saved in your online profile so they cant be altered or even saved in a online store for anyone to use.. if that makes sense to anyone

#12 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

Only allow custom skins to be viewable by other people that also have the same skin files installed. Otherwise, it can just be a default skin or whatever.

At the very least you could then have the community release packs every once in awhile. It'd be nice if the developers implemented an in-game system for installing and downloading community skins, though.

#13 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

View PostKudzu, on 10 November 2011 - 11:45 PM, said:

They would be a great example of things to sell for real money-- no tactical advantage, not something you HAVE to have to compete, but I know I would throw down cash for good looking paint schemes, especially ones for specific units.

Yah, I fully expect skins for all the major houses and merc units to be available for any mech in the game. Easy thing to see for a couple bucks here and there.

#14 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - allow custom skins, sort of.
I see it this way - the devs could input a large number of set patterns, each divided into sections of different colors. Players can pick the pattern they like, then use a color wheel to adjust each section. For an example of how this could work, see the game Chromehounds - it had a great paint skin system
As far as house-units and that sort of thing go, we should start out with our 'Mechs in the colors of whatever faction we are part of. Also, I wouldn't object to each Merc Corp being able to at least create a partial paint skin (i.e., cover the leg[s]or arm[s] and allow a player-chosen paint job for the rest of the 'Mech) for its members.

#15 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

I'd like to see skins based on canon units to be released periodically.

And devs, if you're watching, check out Camospecs:

http://camospecs.com/

#16 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

View Postagent_cooper, on 10 November 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

I don't know about the cereal, but according to my copy of TRO: 3025, MechWarrior Terry Ford decorated his Charger with horseshoes and four-leaf clovers.

Aside from that, Lieutanant Paula Stilson decorated her Ostroc with a heart for every lover she's had, and the Bounty Hunter painted his Marauder bright green and covered it in credit symbols.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users