The lack of clan tech and you

23 replies to this topic

#1 Tterrag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

I'm sure that there had been discussion about this and that each person had given it some thought but I'd lije to have a chat about the inner sphere tech less range, sometimes heavier, generates less heat usually, and usually overlooked I'd say but all in all I don't personally think that it will be that big a deal to not have the clanner tech on fact I believe that the builds will be more interesting

#2 Xantars

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSome were in house Stiner Space

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Can Tech we dont need no stinking clan tech. House Stiner makes the Finest mechs possible so we dont need no stinking clan tech

#3 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'm a 3025 player myself. I appreciate the balance more, since Double Heat Sinks crush the relative effectiveness of ballistic weapons.

#4 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

View PostUncleKulikov, on 13 June 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

I'm a 3025 player myself. I appreciate the balance more, since Double Heat Sinks crush the relative effectiveness of ballistic weapons.

Fun to see that, as i always thought that clan double heatsinks throw the balance more off as any clan wep/mech.

View PostXantars, on 13 June 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Can Tech we dont need no stinking clan tech. House Stiner makes the Finest mechs possible so we dont need no stinking clan tech

We see who jumps on the clan bandwagon first when they're here...

#5 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

View PostXantars, on 13 June 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

What's House Stiner? :(

Edited by pursang, 15 June 2012 - 03:25 AM.

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

Clan tech is not interesting. You can make a mech that is fast, carries balanced loadout and excels at everything.

Inner Sphere tech makes you think: "Is it better to have the PPC? It will make me run hot, hmmm... maybe I should switch it to a medium laser and compensate by making the LRMs better and adding a bit of armour. Or maybe...", simply, there is no way you could make a perfect mech excelling at everything and that makes it a lot more fun to play with both in the field and in mechlab.

Edited by Adridos, 15 June 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#7 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

Well the point of Clan tech was always the shock value about these hitech badguys from space and the struggle of the IS powers to overcome them which they eventually do. Its almost a WW2 scenario. The **** hit Pearl Harbor and other places acorss the Pacific. The US struggles against a veteran military force whose aircraft is faster and more manueverable than ours and is caught flatfooted to start with. Little known but I believe it was Montgomery or one of the other British commanders who called the Americans "Our little Italians". However over the space of years and struggle, our military soon far outclassed anything the Japanese could throw at us. Our industrial might put theres to shame starting the war with less than ten carriers and ending it with 48, while the Japanese I think started with 7 and only built one during the war. Why does this matter? The Clans were the IS's Japanese invaders complete with their own honor system. If the war would have continued, the IS's industrial might and the sheer fact that technology improves during wartime(despite the opposite happening in the SWs), once more "allies" got involved, the industrial behemoth of the IS really kicked in, they would have juggernaughted the clans back into the Periphery, despite a now slight edge in tech.

#8 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostKael Tropheus, on 15 June 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

Well the point of Clan tech was always the shock value about these hitech badguys from space and the struggle of the IS powers to overcome them which they eventually do. Its almost a WW2 scenario. The **** hit Pearl Harbor and other places acorss the Pacific. The US struggles against a veteran military force whose aircraft is faster and more manueverable than ours and is caught flatfooted to start with. Little known but I believe it was Montgomery or one of the other British commanders who called the Americans "Our little Italians". However over the space of years and struggle, our military soon far outclassed anything the Japanese could throw at us. Our industrial might put theres to shame starting the war with less than ten carriers and ending it with 48, while the Japanese I think started with 7 and only built one during the war. Why does this matter? The Clans were the IS's Japanese invaders complete with their own honor system. If the war would have continued, the IS's industrial might and the sheer fact that technology improves during wartime(despite the opposite happening in the SWs), once more "allies" got involved, the industrial behemoth of the IS really kicked in, they would have juggernaughted the clans back into the Periphery, despite a now slight edge in tech.

Sigh, I won't comment on the American Horn Tooting, yawn.

As for the IS industrial Might kicking in, it may have, in time, but once the Clans had "liberated Earth, and restored the Star League" then ALL the Clans would have been in the IS. Remember only 7 came in the Invasion, Ten stayed at home and One is unaccounted for. I think the Clans would have has their prize, secured it and expanded their territory long before any factory in the IS could have done enough of anything to stop them. Take out Hesperus 2, Take out Coventry and Steiner is done for. Take out Iran and Iran Metal works and the FWL is crippled and on the verge of going under. If it wasn't for the need to select a new IlKhan the IS would have been reduced to a few worlds fighting a Bush War with the rest of them conforming to the Clan way. After 3 or 4 Generations even the bush wars would end and peace would settle over the IS, until the Not Named returned to overthrow the Clans.... but that's another story.

#9 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

As long as we are fighting Only Inner Sphere units, we don't need Clans tech on our mechs, the new IS tech is good enough.

#10 Ferretboy

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLongview, WA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

Sometimes the "less" advanced, advanced technology is better. An example from history, The Russian SKS vs. the AK-47, Both developed about the same time using the same round, the AK has select fire, the SKS is Semi-Auto. The SKS is more accurate out to 400 yards, and has a less complicated construction. Sure the AK-47 is better, but, ask a Vietnam War Vet which was more feared.

#11 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

Pre-clan tech is what i am used to as i began playing BT before they invented the clans.

#12 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostTterrag, on 13 June 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

I'm sure ---- it won´t be that big of a deal to not have the clanner tech, in fact I believe that the builds will be more interesting

i´d go that far to say: there is not so much of a difference (gameplay wise) if everyone uses tech1 stuff or everyone uses clan-tech...
it´s all in the heads xD
i know thats not 100% true, but imho clantech is overrated... it´s only "kewl" if u pwn IS teched ppl with a clanmech... hope you get my point, i´m too tired for good english expressions atmo :blink:

View PostCarl Wrede, on 15 June 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Pre-clan tech is what i am used to as i began playing BT before they invented the clans.

and that of course ;)

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 15 June 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#13 Draelren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 191 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

3050 next year. Clan tech. Deal with it.

#14 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostAdridos, on 15 June 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

Clan tech is not interesting. You can make a mech that is fast, carries balanced loadout and excels at everything.

Inner Sphere tech makes you think: "Is it better to have the PPC? It will make me run hot, hmmm... maybe I should switch it to a medium laser and compensate by making the LRMs better and adding a bit of armour. Or maybe...", simply, there is no way you could make a perfect mech excelling at everything and that makes it a lot more fun to play with both in the field and in mechlab.

^This!

I agree 100%. I like that inner sphere tech requires choices and trade offs. I like that mechs are built to fill specific roles and require appropriate tactics. Clan tech is the equivalent of easy mode. This was balances in TT lore by the idea that the clan drives to use the fewest mechs possible, but in MWO I will be interested to see how they balance it. (6 clan vs 12 IS maybe?)

#15 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

The weapons are basically the same: the restrictions are the same for everyone. The "more basic " technology will force players to learn/relearn the basics -manuver, heat management, target selection. It is sounding to me that too many folks are looking to clan tech to avoid having to use or develop effective combat skills. I know that many have no background in the earlier IS, but the techniques that work with one set of technology will be successful with another. I hope that the continung calls for clan tech do not simply mean "I want weapons that will let me blow you away before you can reach me." If that is so then one has completely misunderstood the meaning of the clan lifestyle!

#16 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

We will crush the clans when they arrive with the help of mead!!!!

#17 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostDraelren, on 15 June 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

3050 next year. Clan tech. Deal with it.

well...hm...what to say... i think you didn´t get the point of this thread here... believe me when i say, most ppl who stated in THIS thread will deal pretty fine with clan tech :D

View PostVasces Diablo, on 15 June 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

Clan tech is the equivalent of easy mode.

nuff said...

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 15 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#18 Lt muffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

IS 'Mechs with clan tech are a fearsome sight.

They were built to use bulkier and heavier weapons, so the upgrade to smaller and lighter designs allows for them to mount more armor, more heat-sinks, and larger engines.

Clan Mechs with IS tech suck badly as they are depended on the clan version of endosteel and ferrofibrous to have enough free weight to mount their weapons, give them the IS versions and they have less spare crits to mount the bulkier IS weapons, go without endosteel and they wont have enough free tonnage to mount the heavier is weapons.
(this isn't including the downgrade from XL engines or any of the other clan goodies)

Edited by Lt muffins, 15 June 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#19 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 15 June 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

Clan tech is the equivalent of easy mode.

quote for truth.

I cut my teeth CBT by buying the starter set, and a brand new copy of TRO 3025. CBT at level1 tech and basic pilots plays so much like chess. Maneuvering actually mattered, heat management mattered, mech roles mattered. Then the clans came... :/

#20 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 17 June 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

I cut my teeth CBT by buying the starter set, and a brand new copy of TRO 3025. CBT at level1 tech and basic pilots plays so much like chess. Maneuvering actually mattered, heat management mattered, mech roles mattered. Then the clans came... :/

No effing kidding. While the Clan lore isn't horrible, the tech makes Battletech less fun...at least the jump in tech it introduced.

Things had to progress, but some things really take away how well the board game played and trivialized a lot of things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users