Ddc Pilot Think About Going Light.

15 replies to this topic

#1 StoneGullet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, FL

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

I am an Atlas DDC pilot through in through. I love to brawl. But after playing the trial Spyder I started to kind of like being a light. Looking to maybe buy a light just not sure which one to go for. I wouldn't mind a speedy harasser. That sounds like it would be fun to annoy the other classes.

Edited by StoneGullet, 12 October 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#2 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

spiders are cheap but the XL engine isn't.

I learned real quick if you aren't using the biggest xl you can stuff in it, you're to slow and faster lights will eat your lunch.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 12 October 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#3 StoneGullet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

I want a mech that is good at harassing and being overall annoying to heavier mechs.

#4 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 12 October 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

I learned real quick if you aren't using the biggest xl you can stuff in it, you're to slow and faster lights will eat your lunch.

Not necessarily. I feel perfectly comfortable with an XL225 in my Spider 5D.

Spider has obviously the best mobility and smallest hit profile, but you might wanna hold off for a bit, considering the royally underarmed Spider 5V.

Jenner is obviously the most powerful Light, seconded by Commando, but both of them have quite large torsos so if you get hit in the face by an AC20, don't be surprised. Also Raven is cool, 3L is a royal pain in the rear, but the other two variants are slower and all of them have giant Raven legs, so play sneaky.

#5 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostStoneGullet, on 12 October 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

I want a mech that is good at harassing and being overall annoying to heavier mechs.

That basically sums up the spider, with its buggy hit boxes its extremely annoying for larger mechs.Though in a few days we get the Locust, which is the cutest mech ever to roll off a cuddly assembly line - however spider still has the cool fact of of WINGS. (seriously watch its back when your in 3rd person jump jetting)

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Jenner F. Goes fast, delivers plenty of damage, requires skill to pilot well.

Plus, you can be proud not to be relying on exploiting the Spider's broken hitboxes ;-)

#7 StoneGullet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

Not into exploiting bugs. I only have played maybe 5 games on the trial Spider.Whats the deal with the Locust? HOw is that going to fit in with the lights?

Edited by StoneGullet, 12 October 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#8 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

When you start harrassing a heavy, they start calling out for lights to come help them. Also, speed is life for a light when running around heavies. So max XL engines are kind of a must.

I prefer Jenners. All three variants play about the same, which is nice for getting the EXP for all of them. Ravens are good, too, but play differently from the Jenners and from each other; but two of the Ravens are very slow for lights, even with max engines, until you get speed tweak (after which they are only a little bit slow).
Jenners and Ravens can harrass heavier mechs and can also spar with other lights.

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostStoneGullet, on 12 October 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Not into exploiting bugs. I only have played maybe 5 games on the trial Spider.Whats the deal with the Locust? HOw is that going to fit in with the lights?
It will be 20kph faster, smaller, and with less firepower.

Many of us are interested to see how that pans out. If hit detection isn't fixed, it could end up a worse version of the ''almost invincible Spider'' problem.

(I have no problem with Lights being hard to hit. That's their competitive advantage. But when I do hit them it needs to register reliably. Incidentally, my best mech is a Jenner F, so I'm not an anti-Light bigot!)

Edited by Appogee, 13 October 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostStoneGullet, on 12 October 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Not into exploiting bugs. I only have played maybe 5 games on the trial Spider. Whats the deal with the Locust? HOw is that going to fit in with the lights?

The spider's hitboxes are bugged a bit, but it does make the mech survivable.

No one knows where the Locust will fit in. It will be the fastest mech available, but it will have less armor than a commando, so no one's really sure.

#11 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

If you go Locust and you zerg swarm, it is utterly deadly. The thing goes 170kph with speed tweak and max engine. But Locusts live on numbers. I tried a stock locust and lasted 3 mins (longer than I thought) and did 24 or so damage. Having said that I am a so so pilot, but luckily in an ELO where I am happy, and there is a fair bit of co operation.

Honestly, I think the days of the lone Jenner behind enemy lines are waning rapidly now. I find I have to stick with the ball now more and more. And I am losing arms regularly, which never used to happen with Jenners before. All in all my first impression is that life is going to be strenuous.

And welcome to the light side. Enjoy going mach 2 with your hair on fire.

#12 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Piloting a Locust is hysterical and incredibly fun, but stay away from light hunters with streaks. You'll be legged in seconds. They're fast, but they don't have the Spider's micro hitboxes. Anyone piloting a Streakmando 2D will be painting their Locust kills on the side of their chassis.

#13 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Go ahead. Get your MG boating Spider or Locust.

My Streaktaro is waiting. And pretty soon, my Streakhawk will be waiting too.

Edited by NRP, 16 October 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#14 LoveLost85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostStoneGullet, on 12 October 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

I am an Atlas DDC pilot through in through. I love to brawl. But after playing the trial Spyder I started to kind of like being a light. Looking to maybe buy a light just not sure which one to go for. I wouldn't mind a speedy harasser. That sounds like it would be fun to annoy the other classes.

since your a ddc pilot, your probably used to not worrying too much about lrms, so id suggest you pick a light with ecm also. otherwise you might get trashed your first few drops and say fkit to lights

#15 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

i have every light except for ravens and locusts (plan to get a locust friday) and i can say this for sure:lower actuators are a huge boon with them you can fire almost backwards without them you have to sort of even out before shooting most of the time and it is a lot more precise

another thing is that the 35 ton lights (jenner and raven) are now slower than commandos,spiders,and locusts and that helps make the commando a viable option (plus they're cheap)

#16 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

another option is a cicada they are basically large lights they are as fast as a 35 ton (151 max) but they carry a few more weapons and you can arm the 3M with an LBX and ecm and its one of the most fun mechs in the game (i used an XL 300 to do this leaving it at only 133 KPH) and you can save some weight by taking the armor off the arms since they are small and have no weapons (aside from the X-5)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users