Locked To 60Fps When Two Monitors Are Connected.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

This thread is here for 2 reasons
1. To see if anyone has any ideas for resolving this.
2. In case anyone has the same issue, hopefully they'll try searching and find this.

2x7850 HiS boost cards.

With one monitor connected, it rocks along at ~120fps or so, dropping in some maps (or some really specific places. I noticed two things

1. I was locked at 60fps no matter what (vsync, etc.)
2. All my twitch streaming was super choppy.

After starting a new thread here on mwomercs about it, getting some great suggestions, the issue still persisted. After reloading windows a few times, removing my second video card, etc., I finally tried without my second monitor connected. The second monitor was attached to the motherboard's on-board video controller. My FPS was back! I could stream without issues! Woo! I tested with the second monitor attached to the radeons, same thing. Very strange. Haven't yet found a way around it unfortunately, but I'm working on it. The two monitors are dissimilar resolutions - one is 1920x1080 and the secondary is 1680x1050. Secondary monitor just had a web browser, xsplit (or OBS), and pandora running. If anyone has any thoughts on the subject I'd appreciate your input.

#2 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

first time heard of this issue

but suggest installing the 13.8 Beta drivers from AMD

http://support.amd.c...iw_win8-64.aspx

try to adjust the Eyefinity setting since you are running X-Fire mode with the 2 cards

try running Crysis 3 with similar settings and see if the fps is locked to 60

i have seen users with 4 to 5 displays running at the same time with one being the one displaying the windows screen all reported smooth gameplay

#3 GrimlockONE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

No issues running the game. This is the only one I have that locks at 60FPS. My system is capable of pushing it harder and I am happy with consistent 60 frames, just curious as to why this game locks without vsync.

I have dual monitors, one displays the game and the other I use for TS3 and OBS for Twitch streaming.

#4 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Confirmed.

I have an nVidia GTX 660Ti driving my main monitor.

I also have a crappy Radeon driving two side monitors.

When you launch, if the side monitors are enabled I am limited to 60FPS, whereas with the side monitors off I get 100+

I am guessing that the 60FPS figure is significant. It is not the refresh rate of the side displays (Mine run at 75hz), I think it is the refresh rate of the main monitor. If your main monitor supports > 60Hz refresh rate, try adjusting that.

In the end though, it does not really matter that much. If your monitor is 60Hz, then you are not really going to see any improvement beyond 60FPS.

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I just went through a thing of replacing my second video card so I could get the second monitor off the main video card: At no point did I have some inadvertent framerate limit. I believe I got a fps boost doing this (the placebo is strong with this one), and I think I'm seeing confirmation of talk about having a PhysX card big "enough" to go with the main card (a GT640 is not enough to keep a GTX680 fed.) I could get moar fps then my refresh … in the training grounds, before and after moving that monitor over.

I don't know what you two are doing …

#6 MandaloreWise01

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

When playing with clone monitors, would it have the same problem as him?

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Are you playing in Full Screen or Windowed Mode for both setups (1 monitor vs 2 monitors/GPU)?

Which connections are being used? HDMI Monitor/computer? HDMI/VGA? etc.

nm

Here is another player with the same issue.

http://mwomercs.com/...46#entry2703646

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 August 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#8 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

that thread is open by the same user

anyway can anyone confirmed if this is only game causing the trouble or affected by hardware

#9 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Bummer, limited to 60 FPS on dual monitors. There are people who can barely achieve 30-40 FPS on one and you whine about this.

#10 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I did some research and experimentation on this over the last couple of days.

The trigger is definitely two monitors and not two GPUs.
The mechanism that is limiting the FPS is Vsync - when limited, if you tick the vsync option in MWO you get no change, but if not limited and you tick vsync, you get exactly the same limiting.

However, I am not sure it is affecting the min frame rate at all.
I did some FRAPS tests, and whilst my max framerate obviously increased in single-monitor mode, the min framerate was still the same.

It seems that all that is happening is that the game is being capped to 60, but seeing as anything over 60 is gravy, you should not be losing much.

The caveat being of course that vsync may well introduce input lag, which appears to be possibly happening with MWO.

On the plus side, with vsync enabled you should get nicer screen recordings (nice fluid motion as there is always a frame on the 60/30 FPS mark, plus no tearing), which once nvidia shadowplay launches, you may well appreciate :)

#11 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 29 August 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Bummer, limited to 60 FPS on dual monitors. There are people who can barely achieve 30-40 FPS on one and you whine about this.

Not whining, it's just something I noticed. I went on a google fiesta and kept coming up with vsync - I simply created the topic so if someone else searched regarding the problem it would save them some time. I wasn't complaining, simply trying to help others. A little common courtesy never hurt anyone.

#12 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Potential variable - I'm running Windows 8 Pro (have to, testing for viability of deployment at work. So far - no. not viable at all.)

Ok, to attempt to address all the above
1. It happens in *all* the below configurations.
- Main monitor (120hz) connected to the crossfire array, secondary monitor on another card.
- Main monitor (120hz) connected to the crossfire array, secondary connected to the crossfire array.
- Main monitor (120hz) connected to the crossfire array, secondary connected to motherboard HDMI (intel hd4000).
- Main monitor (120hz) connected to the crossfire array, secondary connected to a USB to HDMI adapter.

2. Issue persists when second screen is
- Powered off
- Disabled in control panel
- Mirroring primary display

3. My reason for a secondary monitor is as follows.
- Pandora running on it
- Teamspeak sometimes running on it
- Preview of my Twitch stream

4. The issue affects the following
- Twitch streaming - if I have a secondary monitor connected, the stream is really choppy, seems to feel about 15-20fps, even at the lowest res I can stream at. Issue persists when using the Pro version of xsplit, OBS, and flash encoder.

5. 60fps lock seems to affect other games as well (tried counterstrike source, far cry 3) - though, if I stream twitch while those are locked at 60fps, it streams smoothly.

It didn't affect playability, but it caused issues with FRAPS recordings and twitch streaming. Game chugs along smoothly, but anything grabbing frames takes a big poo.

Is there any clarification I can offer? Any other questions? My apologies for my delayed response - I wasn't getting notified that people were responding. I've now subscribed to this thread.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users