Answered

5 replies to this topic

#1 Gaudium

• Pip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

One of my friends went to download the client from the website, this very one, and apparently had some issues with it when he attempted to create an account. It would give him an error, but wouldn't keep the error report displayed long enough for him to see. He thought it was due to the fact he put in a Yahoo account name, since it accepted his Google e-mail account, but when he received the downloader client and tried to run the program, instead it gave him MyPC backup and Optimizer Pro? You guys might want to check your systems quick and make sure you're not piggybacking malicious files... sadly, now he won't even touch this game anymore, which sucks that he got a virus in the first place and that he won't be joining this game.

So I got a little bit more info on what happened to hopefully help clarify the situation. Apparently when he ran the downloader, the site directed him to download another program that it labeled as 'a recommended add-on' that it required for the graphics, called VAF player, then suddenly MyPC backup, Desk365, and Optimizer Pro was placed on his machine. So strange, when I downloaded the client myself, not that long ago, I didn't have to deal with any of that.

Edited by Niko Snow, 29 August 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

The most likely thing: your friend's system is already infected with malware that re-routes his browser to download more malware.

Have him get AV-software(several optimaly) from a trustworthy source and run repeated checks on his system.

#3 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

Aye, no-one else seems to be reporting anything similar to this happening, so its very likely his computer was already infected. Get any decent anti virus software installed and running and have them scan for virus's and Malware often!

#4 Gaudium

• Pip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thankfully, he was only affected by DormIQ PUPS, though he did have an unhealthy amount of spyware on his machine as well, but we were able to clear that up with a combination of Anti-virus + Anti-Malware programs. Still though, DormIQ pup can affect legitimate sites. Not that I'm saying you guys don't know what you're doing, but I still think it'd be prudent to ensure your site hasn't been compromised, particularly when downloading the client, even if what you guys say was true, which, I'm not discounting that possibility in the least, just a strong advocate on the 'better-safe-than-sorry' figure of speech.

#5 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

no need for the passive-aggressivness ... if there were something of this magnitude wrong with the site or mwo-patcher there'd be dozens, if not hundreds of threads like this in mere hours.

Your friend needs AV-software + firewall, how anyone can navigate the internet without that is beyond me ...

#6 Gaudium

• Pip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Ironwithin, I wasn't being passive-aggressive I was making a suggestion and being sincere when I said I don't doubt their technical prowess. Also you don't read very well do you as I stated he cleared up his machine with a combination of AV + AMW, still you can get viruses/pups with both. However this issue is pretty much resolved, it'll be the last time I comment on this, mods, feel free to lock this thread at any time or even delete it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users