Mektek Is Up To Something

20 replies to this topic

#1 SGT Unther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I was going by the Mektek website and apparently they are planning to release something big. Their main page has been replaced by some artwork and a countdown timer. For those who didn't know Mektek is the company responsible for the MechWarrior 4:Mercs free release and the MekPak unofficial add-on to the game.

http://www.mektek.net/

#2 Eiki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostSGT Unther, on 19 December 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

I was going by the Mektek website and apparently they are planning to release something big. Their main page has been replaced by some artwork and a countdown timer. For those who didn't know Mektek is the company responsible for the MechWarrior 4:Mercs free release and the MekPak unofficial add-on to the game.

They were apparently making a cockpit-style game for on-site entertainment. PGI and MekTek bumped heads about it a while back until PGI realized that they were doing something completely different than MWO and decided "Eh, alright you can do it."

#3 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

mektek is a great company that loves their work. wish they had gotten MW PI. they will go places.

#4 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

interesting. Good find

#5 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Heavy Gear 3, more than likely.

#6 Dakkath

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationG-14 Classified

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Moving to the Off-Topic section.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

View Poststjobe, on 19 December 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Heavy Gear 3, more than likely.

Do you think the company that makes it had hired them to help out?

Because Heavy Gear 3 is in production already.

#8 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostAdridos, on 19 December 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

Do you think the company that makes it had hired them to help out?

Because Heavy Gear 3 is in production already.

Basically, yes. The image on the mektek page is suspiciously akin to two Gears, and they're dropping MW4 to a third party and "moving on to something else" connected to the countdown.

Also, the staff comment "Stuff is about to get Heavy!" in the "What's going on?" thread is a pretty heavy-handed hint.

Edited by stjobe, 19 December 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#9 Magas Corada

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Not gonna lie... But I think I'm going to just lock myself in a room with all these great mech games that just keep pouring out of seemingly no where... I shall yet become a hermit!!

#10 S n a k e

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBFE Wisconsin

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Heavy gear 3? drools... a mektek involved HG game would be epic.

#11 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Just got an Email from MekTek asking for support for a kickstarter project based on Heavy Gear.

http://www.kickstart...-gear-assault-0

I wish them good luck, but I was never a big fan of the Heavy Gear series. Just didn't get into Big Stompy Robots on Roller Skates.

#12 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

MekTek might have done MWO better then PGI! I know Wandering Samurai would have!

#13 karoushi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yes, it is Heavy Gears.

I received an e-mail from them earlier today, I will post it here:

"Dear MekTek Community,

As the founder of MekTek, I am pleased to announce our Kickstarter Campaign for our stompin’ new video game – Heavy Gear Assault – based on the 62nd century award winning franchise Heavy Gear. Heavy Gear Assault is a mech-based e-sports spectacle, featuring fast-paced, white-knuckle action on PCs and mobiles. I’m here asking for your support on Kickstarter, today.

We’ve spent the better part of the past 15 years as an independent mod team developing everything from expansion packs to cheat detectors for mech games. I remember the day we released MekPak3. Do you? It was a rainy afternoon and one of my proudest moments. It was our best MekPak yet and we couldn’t wait to show the community. It wasn’t quite finished but we made the decision to release because the game was under siege by hackers and we had to do something – and we did. Our great community also had its share of incidents such as our greatest April fool’s joke ever – the “source code” incident and then there were those areas on our forum where I never visited – I’m looking at you SPAM. And then there was my brief time going under cover and joining Clan Rainbow – okay let’s not go there. Help us build a great community around our new game.

Our aim is to raise the bar of mech games. Some of those ideas stem from our work on the MekPaks. We had many ideas that we would have loved to put in but we ran out of time back then. We’re focusing on aspects of gameplay that most mech games never dared to explore. One aspect is of course playing as the pilot. We’ve always dreamed of playing as the pilot and being able to climb up into a Gear, initiate a startup sequence, hear the hiss of the airlock as the cockpit closes, and fully immerse ourselves in our very own epic war-machine.

And what about being able to interact with a match as a spectator? Camera ships are cool and all but what if they had weapons? And what if they were destroyable? Many league orientated players enjoy playing in gladiatorial environments where spectators are as much a part of the game as the players. Anyone that has played a mech game knows how fun it is to play in an arena setting where you can hear the roar of the crowd as the buzzers buzz and the horns sound. Anyone that’s played in the Tesla Pods will appreciate my inspiration. In Heavy Gear, this is a professional circuit, where Gear pilots can duel against each other in the high stakes game of gear dueling. Sounds perfect for an e-sports game? Doesn’t it? We thought so too.

We are working heavily with the creators of Heavy Gear to ensure the best possible experience for the die-hard Heavy Gear fans. But we are also thinking about ways to appeal to all mech fans. In September of 2012, our team spent the long weekend playing table top games with Dream Pod 9 in Montreal. We’re totally immersed in the Heavy Gear universe. Reading everything from Gear customization to space discontinums. We’ve spent countless hours studying the vast amounts of Heavy Gear literature available and of course playing the original video games – designed by our very own Creative Director – Jack Mamais. Jacks designed some pretty amazing PC games, including one of the world’s top 5 – MechWarrior2: Mercenaries. And let’s not forget Crysis. Jack plans to deliver an experience that you’ll never forget and he’s done that a few times so you should have no reason doubt. Support us on Kickstarter and help us craft the experience of a lifetime.

Our game will be free for everyone to play but unlike the other guys - we don’t plan on hoarding away all the tools used to build our game. In-fact, as a premium player, you’ll be able to download everything from our map editor to our dedicated server technology. We plan to embrace community involvement, not control it. And we realize we can’t make this game as great as we want to without the support of the mod community. That is our roots after all – and we never plan to forget it.

In 2009, we opened our Studio HQ and setup a local office here in Saint John. It hasn’t been easy getting started as an independent studio. VCs and big publishers all seem to think that players just want another Call of Duty or Halo. But what about the mech games? Not so much – according to the suits. However, the times – they be a changing. It’s the mech game revolution folks. And who better to participate than MekTek? Many members of our team have been around since the beginning – including me! For those of you that may remember that heart pounding experience of the original DOS mech games – that’s the experience I want to create, as the producer of Heavy Gear Assault. I won’t quit until I can relive that moment.

We work as a local and remote team with members from around the globe in more than 14 time zones. We are an independent group working as hard as we possibly can to deliver on our promises and our dreams. Speaking of promises, we haven’t abandoned the MechWarrior4 community either. In-fact we continue to work behind the scenes to find sustainable solutions for the MechWarrior4 community. It hasn’t been easy. We anticipated some level of support from those in control of the MechWarrior franchise but instead we were asked to shut it down. You’ll be the first to know if anything changes regarding MechWarrior4.

Thanks to our experience developing MechWarrior, Assault Tech, and so on, we were able to prepare a prototype of Heavy Gear Assault in just 3 months – using Unreal Engine 4. Our current prototype was warmly received by both the press and the public at GDC this year. We had a chance to meet original Heavy Gear fans from all walks of life. Seeing that same kiddish smile only a mech fan can have – on the face of players worldwide, keeps us up at night, burning the mid-night oil, to build the best possible gameplay we can.

Please help support us today on Kickstarter – we’ve already proven our salt with you the community. We’ve also raised well over $100,000 to produce Heavy Gear Assault on HeavyGear.com but we need much more support in order to build the kind of mech game you’ve only dreamed of playing. Show your support today and help us build Heavy Gear Assault. I promise full transparency and regular updates regarding our development progress.

Thanks for your support,
Vince ‘VAM’ McMullin
President & Founder"

Edited by karoushi, 20 May 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#14 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

I lost all interest in mektek's project when they announced it was an arena only e sport kinda game.

#15 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostSGT Unther, on 19 December 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Yes indeed good sir! Posted info here for ya!

http://mwomercs.com/...vy-gear-mektek/

View PostTempered, on 23 May 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I lost all interest in mektek's project when they announced it was an arena only e sport kinda game.

Also its not, it will launch with a single player now! Featuring the war of the alliance. I was kind of disheartened over coliseum only as well, but then I remembered how amazing MekTek is, and how awesome heavy gear is, and how badass being a gladiator was in Solaris! Now its gets even better mate!

#16 Meta Trebuchet

Clone

• 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 20 May 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

MekTek might have done MWO better then PGI! I know Wandering Samurai would have!

View PostTennex, on 19 December 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

mektek is a great company that loves their work. wish they had gotten MW PI. they will go places.

Resurrecting a dead thread to quote for truth.

MWO would have been amazing if anyone but PGI got it.

#17 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Here I will just come out and say it Mektek was and still is just a bunch of hackers. They started out hacking the source code for MechWarrior4 Mercenaries and made there first mod=(Merc Shield) which at the time was supposed to cut down on the trainers-aimbots-Speedhacks-Altered variant files-etc. Some in that same group (Mektek) founded the NBT mod (DarkPhoenix)(EvilCOW) and sold the hacks on a website to fund there mods and league. Lets give these groups some credit they did make great mech and game mods but they totally screwed the community except for a few chosen groups as far as rebuilding the once grand MechWarrior community overall. I would not trust either mod groups to be honest there dishonest x100 compared to PGI.

Edited by PappySmurf, 29 August 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#18 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 28 August 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Here I will just come out and say it Mektek was and still is just a bunch of hackers. They started out hacking the source code for MechWarrior4 Mercenaries and made there first mod=(Merc Shield) which at the time was supposed to cut down on the trainers-aimbots-Speedhacks-Altered variant files-etc. Some in that same group (Mektek) founded the NBT mod (DarkPhoenix)(EvilCOW) and sold the hacks on a website to fund there mods and league. Lets give these groups some credit they did make great mech and game mods but they totally screwed the community except for a few chosen groups as far as rebuilding the once grand MechWarrior community overall. I would not trust either mod groups to be honest there dishonest x100 compared to PGI. Posted Image

You seem rather delusional

#19 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 28 August 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

You seem rather delusional

???? Im not the one who bought into a founders pack and now want to support more company's that never kept there promises??? So who is the *****??? and delusional????? :) :)

#20 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 20 May 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

So true it hurts :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users