- - - - -

Next Mech... What To Choose. Please Help.

46 replies to this topic

#1 Uridan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

He everyone.

I like playing a well rounded 'Mech, suited for all kinds of situations (mastered hunchback, but wasn't so happy with it (as a brawler). Guess I am not a brawler then). Currently piloting a Cataphract 2X. UAC5, 1LL, 2ML, 10+5LRMs, AMS, 64KPH, Armor 415.

Thinking about trying out something else. Being a non-premium member, I want to consider some advise first.

I think some 'Mech I don't really understand. Jager vs Cata. Jager vs Stalker.

I like the look of the Jager, and it seems to be pretty versatile on paper, but at the same time kinda vulnerable for a heavy 'Mech. Should I pick stalker instead and get a better Jager version?

I wish I could try out all 'Mechs prior purchase, but unfortunately that's not an option.

English is not my first language, so before I go into too many details (which wouldn't make too much sense, being a nooby), I'd rather wait for some vets to give me their point of view.

Thanks a lot in advance. This community really is very passionate about MWO, and very friendly.

Uridan out o7

#2 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Stalkers = lots of lasers and missiles
Jaegers = ballistics and lasers (and some missiles on one variant)

Neither one jump, stalker is way more survivable due to hitbox placement and armor loadout.

Stalkers only hold one module by default, Jaegers 2.

So depends on what you feel like playing which one you should pick next.

#3 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostUridan, on 29 August 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I like the look of the Jager, and it seems to be pretty versatile on paper, but at the same time kinda vulnerable for a heavy 'Mech. Should I pick stalker instead and get a better Jager version?

i took the jager as my third mech i think... it is performing pretty well, if you know how to use it. that means, don't get focused, don't get into brawl with anything heavier than yourself (except it's a LRM-boat).
the jager is much more versatile than the stalker-variants i think. for example with the JM6-A, you can fit nearly any type of playstyle, because of its hardpoints. there is no stalker (except misery) with ballistic slots.
Jager's biggest drawback is that you are forced to use an xl-engine for the most builds to be functional.

conclusion: i love my jager because of versatillity, so i can only suggest to get one ;)

#4 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Indeed, choosing which 'Mech to get next can be tough, and making a bad choice can really set you back as they cost so many c-bills. Instead of advising you on which particular 'Mech you should get next, let me give you a few general tips:

1. Play around with the online "mechlab" at smurfy, and you should be able to get an idea of what you'll be able to do with a 'Mech before you have to spend any c-bills.

2. You may already know this, but when possible, you're going to want to get 3 variants of the same 'Mech so that you can upgrade past the Basic level of Pilot proficiencies. Most 'Mechs become SUBSTANTIALLY better after you've completed the Elite track (which grants you double bonuses for the Basic skills as well).

3. Spectate the hell out of other players after you've died. You may find somebody using a build you'd never heard of or thought to make. When I first started playing this game a year ago, I pretty much limited myself to Assaults. After spectating a few really good Jenner pilots I decided to give them a try and found my true calling.

Welcome to the game, and good luck with whatever 'Mech you decide to run next ;)

#5 Plat

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

hunchback was my first master, i ended up trying light mechs now i have 9 of them, lights are cheaper and funner to play imo

#6 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Stalkers are very durable from the front, so if you want something that can outlast your opponents it's a good bet.

Personally, I like Jagermechs more - ballistics are a lot of fun, and they're as versatile as they look. Jagermechs are vulnerable because they have huge side torsos, although you can help that a bit with torso-twist. However, they are pretty small in general for their size and have high arm mounts that let them fire from behind ridges, both of which are great for durability. They're crazy fun, and pretty effective IMO.

How many Cataphracts do you have, btw? Might be worth it to elite them if you haven't already, particularly because the Cataphract 3D is arguably the best mech in the game right now ;)

#7 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Well, with the current state, lrms get you the most money/xp in a match. If you can use them right. LRM mechs will usually top the chart with both damage and assists, even some kills if lucky. The problem is new ppl dont use lrms right. It is not about firing at the first target you see but one you think you can consistently put damage on! (i.e. mech in the open) I love lrms prolly to a fault, however if you are constantly firing at targets over 800m then your really doing lrms wrong.

edit: in 12 man 1 lrmboat is usually enough if used at all.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 29 August 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#8 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:41 AM

You might want to watch Mack's videos on YouTube. They are fun videos, but I hope you can appreciate his humor.

His Stalker videos are pretty old (pre-Heat Nerf, not with current meta) but he has a lot of them, he also has a few with the Misery Hero Mech, including the one where he agonizes over whether he should buy it.

I think he has only one Jagermech video, it's for the DD and he armed it with 6 AC/2s (which the Heat Nerf messed up), and it's great. His pure enjoyment with the dakka dakka is great.

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

I say wait a week(ish) and see what comes out for september, as a lot of people believe it will be the Orion - a 75 toner that mixes ballistic, energy and missile hardpoints.

That being said if your hard put on jager or stalker, Jager has high arm placement making it a supreme direct fire mech able to pop over a ridge and fire much earlier on than low slung mechs (like the cataph). However it IS a 65toner so cant really go toe to toe in a throw down with heavier mechs, however crafty pilots can generally put a serious hurt on bigger mechs.

The stalker is tiny for a 85ton mech, having the firepower of an assault and being smaller than a catapult makes this lumbering behemoth nasty in its own right, and its one of the more popular LRM platforms however it is extremely vulnerable to lights and jumping mechs.

#10 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

Try the Jenner. You will be surprised at how much fun it is.

I've been disappointed with Jagers. They die too easily. Cataphracts are far superior.

Stalkers are great for dishing out damage and staying alive. However, I hate moving that slowly so, now that I've Mastered them, I never play them.

#11 Uridan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

Currently I am following the advice to watch youtube videos. Could have thought about that earlier B)

Actually I don't like the idea of having to fit an XL engine on a viable Jager setup. On the other hand, I always wanted to try out some MGs :D

Are MGs any good? Besides, riding a ballistic platform sounds quite dangerous, considering critical hits and ammo explosions <_<
Plus, you can run out of ammo. Then again, it sounds better, has lower heat generation and better reach.

There are so many 'Mechs to choose from, and I only have 4 'Mech bays... oh boy, loads of things to consider here :unsure:

Some principal things to decide: Getting me another cataphract and keep spending xp on pilot skills, or get another 'Mech.
I only have 1 ctf-2x right now, 26k XP I can't spend on anything yet.

Thinking about, what the cataphract is lacking (for me), I think I come to the conclusion, that I want to be 'powerful' at all ranges, in one 'Mech, putting on the pressure, being deciding factor of how the battle flows. Sounds kinda assault-ish, I start thinking :blink:

If I try to outfit my cata to cover all ranges, then I don't do enough dmg. (Setup given in my original post)
If I brawl, I die quickly, since everyone and their moms are sniping these days, and I barely get support. And sniping is not really something I like. I rather flank, or something less boring.

Should I go assault? Try out light? (btw. MWO runs at 20-30 FPS on my rig, sometimes lagging too, so I thought riding a light 'Mech could be too risky, being that 20FPS don't really support twitchy gameplay. Maybe I'm wrong here?)

Why would someone go Highlander instead of Atlas? Or Jager instead of Catapult?

I think, as soon as I found one 'Mech that suits my stile, I would roll with it, slowly accumulating C-Bills and try out other 'Mechs I'm interested in. Really too bad you have to buy a 'Mech in order to try it out. Trial 'Mechs really don't count. Terribly outfitted in general.

Opinions, ideas? I'm all ear.

As always, thanks for your support.

Uridan out o7

Edited by Uridan, 30 August 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#12 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

FPS is too low for Light mechs.

You have thrown out so many options that it is hard to give clear advice. Jager, Highlander, Stalker, etc. Your current Cataphract design is equally confused including a one of each weapon layout. So confused that I've had to delete my post like three times already. You really can not be effective at all ranges.

Plain truth... since no matter what the choice is you really must have 3 of them the only reasonable choice right now is... stick with Cataphracts. Without getting Elite in any mech it really is impossible to judge just how well it performs.

Anyone have some Brawler/Mid Range builds for Cataphracts handy? I'll try to put some together shortly although I admit I'm biased. I sold all my Cataphracts except for the 3D because I only pilot mechs with JJs. That right there might be a good reason to stick with Cataphracts since it appears that you have never used Jump Capable mechs.

#13 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

The CTF-1X is best as a classic brawler. AC20 and 5xMedium Lasers. I like a standard 255 engine - but you can have a valid - if hotter - build with a standard 275 or 300.

The CTF-3D is best as a jump sniper. GR and dual (ER)PPC - std 275 maybe. Not my taste - but it is popular.

The CTF-4X is a versatile multi-ballistic support platform - dual GR, quad AC5 (std 255) or 2xUAC5, 2xAC5 (XL255)

The Ilya Muromets costs real money... but "Chainsaw" - 3xUAC5, 2xML and an XL280 is a classic build

There are loads of options listed (and discussed and rated) at mechspecs.com

#14 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Stick with Cataphracts.

The 3D has been the best heavy in the game since it was released, and it is important to get the basic and elite skills, as well as the master module slot for your mechs.

Always best to finish one mech type before moving on to another.

Edited by Roughneck45, 30 August 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#15 Uridan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 30 August 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

The 3D has been the best heavy in the game since it was released

Could someone please explain what makes the Cataphract the best heavy 'Mech of MWO?

#16 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

The Cataphract 3D not Cataphracts in general, that one specifically.

2 Ballistics
4 Energy
Jump Jets
Not allergic to XL Engines

That sums it up rather neatly.

#17 Uridan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostscJazz, on 30 August 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Not allergic to XL Engines

What do you mean by that?

#18 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostUridan, on 30 August 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Could someone please explain what makes the Cataphract the best heavy 'Mech of MWO?

The placement of the ballistic hardpoints ensures that you can mount the largest ballistic weapons. Same for the energy hardpoints, evenly spread across the mech.

It can take JJ's, the only cataphract capable of doing that.

It is at max tonnage for it's weight class, so you have the most to work with.

Edited by Roughneck45, 30 August 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#19 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostUridan, on 30 August 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

What do you mean by that?

Most people mount XL's in a phract to maximize the firepower. The torsos are not so giant that it is an instant death sentence, like it would be in a hunchback or atlas.

#20 Uridan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 30 August 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

It is at max tonnage for it's weight class, so you have the most to work with.

Could that be a general argument for always picking the max tonnage 'Mech of its weight class?
e.g. Atlas best assault etc?

That's a point I never understood. Why pick a low tonnage 'Mech... That being said, I picked a Cataphract only by accident and not by tonnage :D

Edited by Uridan, 30 August 2013 - 09:38 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users