To Kill A Spider...

43 replies to this topic

#41 Mystctgr

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

So let me get this right, i go so fast that i get a lag shield? I have jump jets that will send me over most any thing in the game? I can load up two LL, and MGs, in the lightest frame mech in the game, OR the cool ppc spyder i seen today. I know all this is true i have seen it many time's in fact i stood with about 8 other mechs in a match and took 2 mins to kill one off. This is just {Scrap}, if you want to go fast get all the bennies of jumping and speed/lag shield and still have a full load out i guess the spyder is the way to go. Geez i could of saved a ton of money just buying three of them and leveling up. Ill make sure i tell any one that ask's thats the way to go...

#42 Wascot

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

You're going to be disappointed when (if?) it gets fixed as your survivability will drop like a rock once hits actually register properly. Always amusing to see a full spread of lasers hit a spider moving in a straight line, but nope that's a miss. No amount of aiming can compensate for that kind of armor!

#43 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostMystctgr, on 17 September 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

So let me get this right, i go so fast that i get a lag shield? I have jump jets that will send me over most any thing in the game? I can load up two LL, and MGs, in the lightest frame mech in the game, OR the cool ppc spyder i seen today. I know all this is true i have seen it many time's in fact i stood with about 8 other mechs in a match and took 2 mins to kill one off. This is just {Scrap}, if you want to go fast get all the bennies of jumping and speed/lag shield and still have a full load out i guess the spyder is the way to go. Geez i could of saved a ton of money just buying three of them and leveling up. Ill make sure i tell any one that ask's thats the way to go...

The "full loadout" you're referring to is a single large energy weapon (LL), and your choice of one or two MLs, or four MGs. Hardly terrifying.

The 5D could theoretically mount dual LLs in the arm, but would have to sacrifice some armour or speed to do so.
The 5K and 5V have their energy hardpoints in the CT, so no PPC for them, nor any dual LLs.
The 5K is the only one that can mount MGs, and it cannot mount more than an LL as per the above.

So no, you cannot "load up two LL, and MGs".

The one thing the Spider doesn't have is a strong weapons loadout - the 5V has the lowest number of hardpoints in the game with just two energy hardpoints (both in the CT, where there's just two free crit slots), and the 5D takes second place with its three energy hardpoints. Then actually all the Commandos come in with their four hardpoints mixed between energy and missile, and then the 5K brings up the rear with its single energy + 4 ballistic hardpoints.

Edit: I also have to point out that the Spider isn't "the lightest frame mech in the game" - the Commando is 5 tons lighter than the Spider, and soon the Locust will be here and it will be 10 tons lighter than the Spider. The Flea, if it ever shows up, is also 10 tons lighter than the 30-ton Spider.

The Commando can mount two LLs (it's quite an effective load-out), but no Commando variant has ballistic hardpoints, so no MGs. And of course Commandos have no jump jets.

Edited by stjobe, 18 September 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#44 Blakevich

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm still a relatively new player, only been in MWO for a month, but I've noticed a few things when running around in my Jenner. The main thing that has helped me be an effective light pilot is alcohol. My best game on any chassis was when I was so shottered I couldn't stand. Two kills, eight assists and 594 damage. I don't even know what happened or what map I was on.

On a more serious note, I tend to like to go wide around behind formations and harass them from the rear. I don't avoid groups but do what I can to make them shoot each other and break off from the main engagement. There have been multiple times when a hunchback or atlas fed one of their friends and AC 20 on my account. This generally lowers my survivability quite a bit, however.

To reinforce an above point. The number one counter against lights is team-mates. When I'm in an assault, I try to glue myself to my lance because I've ruined too many assault pilots days to want to fall victim to a Jenner pack.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users