- - - - -

Forum Suggestions Polling - Back To School Edition

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Forum Suggestions Polling - Back To School Edition (270 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a Sim-Pit Forum Added?

1. Yes, under Hardware & Accessories (90 votes [33.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.46%

2. Yes, under Fan Art (16 votes [5.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.95%

3. No, use the existing sub-forums for SimPits (38 votes [14.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.13%

4. Voted Abstain. (125 votes [46.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.47%

Would you like to see Faction-specific Merc Corps Recruitment sub-forums

1. Yes, add these Recruitment sub-forums under each House. (152 votes [56.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.51%

2. No, use Outreach only. (66 votes [24.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.54%

3. Voted Abstain (51 votes [18.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.96%

Would you like to see Patch Feedback sub-divided by Bug Type

1. Yes, create separate Functional, Art, Performance and Balance sub-forums. (130 votes [48.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.33%

2. Voted No, leave it General per Patch (100 votes [37.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.17%

3. Abstain (39 votes [14.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.50%

Would you like to see Archiving of General Discussions threads?

1. Yes, threads without a reply for over a month should be archived. (115 votes [42.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.75%

2. No, leave old threads open. (103 votes [38.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.29%

3. Voted Abstain (51 votes [18.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.96%

Would you like to see the International sub-forums placed under Community HPG?

1. Yes, only the languages should be visible on the front forum. (67 votes [24.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.91%

2. No, all language-based sub-forums should be visible on the front forum. (78 votes [29.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.00%

3. Voted Abstain (124 votes [46.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.10%

Would you like to see the Deep Periphery and Kaetetoa merged?

1. Yes, these are redundant. (95 votes [35.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.32%

2. No, each serves a purpose. (52 votes [19.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.33%

3. Voted Abstain. (122 votes [45.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.35%

Would you like to see the Suggestions Polling Rules re-implemented?

1. Yes, in Feature Suggestions (46 votes [17.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.10%

2. Yes, as a new Suggestion Polling sub-forum (40 votes [14.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.87%

3. No, keep discussion and polling mixed and open. (91 votes [33.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.83%

4. Voted Abstain. (92 votes [34.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.20%

Would you like to close the Houses and Clans General sub-forums?

1. Yes, turn these into sections. (57 votes [21.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.19%

2. No, leave these open for posting. (120 votes [44.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.61%

3. Voted Abstain. (92 votes [34.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.20%

Would you like to see Vulgar Words replaced rather than censored?

1. Yes, the filter should use funny and/or lore-based replacements. (181 votes [67.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.29%

2. Yes, the filter should use civil and/or polite synonyms. (5 votes [1.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.86%

3. Voted No, the swear filter should use asterisks. (49 votes [18.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.22%

4. Abstain. (34 votes [12.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.64%

Vote

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Greetings MechWarriors,

We have collected a number of suggestions for the forums and created a poll for some of these changes to see if you would collectively like to see these implemented.

Question 1: Would you like to see a Sim-Pit Forum Added?
Several DIY-fans have mentioned a keen desire to have a sub-forum exclusively for showing off their simulation cockpits and gaming rigs. If yes, a sub-forum would be created for this purpose. If not, SimPit owners will have to continue using the Fan Art and Hardware sub-forums.

Question 2: Would you like to see Faction-specific Merc Corps Recruitment sub-forums?
Several faction loyalists have noted that we have been moving Merc Corps recruitment threads out of the Faction sub-forums and requested Recruitment sub-forums specific to each Faction. If yes, each House (and later, each Clan as well) will receive a Recruitment sub-forum for posting of Recruitment threads for Merc Corps loyal to a particular faction. If not, Recruitment threads will be limited to Outreach.

Question 3: Would you like to see Patch Feedback sub-divided by Bug Type?
Several players keen on Beta Testing have requested further sub-divisions to the Patch Feedback sub-forum to focus in different areas similarly to QA. If yes, the Patch Feedback sub-forum would become sub-divided into Art, Functionality, Performance and Balance. If not, the sub-forum will remain generalized to the Patch version.

Question 4: Would you like to see Archiving of General Discussions threads?
Some players dislike thread necromancy, and would prefer to leave older threads to be archived for reference rather than left open to further discussion. If yes, the CR team will make a routine of moving threads which have not been responded to for over a month into the General Archive.

Question 5: Would you like to see the International sub-forums placed under Community HPG?
Some forum-goers have indicated that the International section of the sub-forum takes up a great deal of front-page space, and have requested that the section be placed within the Community HPG to reduce the real-estate occupied. If yes, only links to the individual languages will be visible on the main forum. If not, all International Recruitment, Guide, and Off-Topic sub-forums will remain linked from the main forum.

Question 6: Would you like to see the Deep Periphery and Kaetetoa merged?
The Jettisoned sub-forums have allowed us to place non-constructive threads away from other threads across the forums, as an alternative to removing them from public view, which prompted accusations of censorship. If yes, as some players believe these separations are redundant, these sub-forums can be merged as one. If not, K-town and Deep Periphery will remain separated by Non-Constructive and Somewhat Offensive threads.

Question 7: Would you like to see the Suggestions Polling Rules re-implemented?
We previously experimented with Polling rules to prevent biased polls in the Suggestions sub-forum. Some players have indicated a desire to see these polling rules return either entirely on the Suggestions sub-forum or within a Polling specific sub-forum. Otherwise, these rules will remain repealed and Suggestions will remain open to both polls and discussions.

Question 8: Would you like to close the Houses and Clans General sub-forums?
Some players have indicated that the General Inner Sphere and Clan sub-forums discussions can be moved to BattleTech discussions to reduce redundancy, and converted into sections to focus on the individual factions. If voted down, these areas will remain open for general IS and Pentagon World discussion.

Question 9: Would you like to see Vulgar Words replaced rather than censored?
Some players have noted that the CR team is experimenting with the Swear Filter system by replacing vulgar words with something less offensive. Some have indicated that they appreciate the funny ones, some have indicated that they prefer to "soft" synonyms, and others have mentioned that they would rather vulgarities just be censored. Which would you rather us use?

#2 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

This is the kind of thing we would like to see more of. Being asked what we want with several options and a chance to discuss.
Well played PGI.
Several Topics I would like to see this format for.
  • Whose House uses which type of Weapons. (ex. single shot AC20 vs Several shot AC20)
  • Which House has an advatage in what Technologies.
  • Which House Favors which style of Combat (Lances Balanced 3lights 3mediums,3Heavys,3Assaults, or some other standard format) (ex. Stieners prefer heavier compositions.)
I realize the results would be non-binding, but would still make for fun constructive conversation.

#3 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

If the vote passes to archive general discussions thread, there needs to be a mechanism in place to make sure threads that are important but don't necessarily get posted in very often don't get lost (like this one http://mwomercs.com/...x-localisation/ ). Maybe a button added to closed and moved threads that lets you request they be readded to the active thread roster, or just better stickying.

I'd actually like an option to turn off the censor. I've not been in elementary school for a couple decades now, I can handle a few people using bad words on the internet every now and then; sometimes they're appropriate when someone is expressing anger or just wants to add emphasis. For that matter, it'd be worth suffering all the people who overuse vulgarity merely to get the forum software to stop censoring word combinations that aren't profane or obscene in the slightest. I understand that some people are very sensitive and that's fine, you can leave the filter in for them, but I think that if most of your playerbase is mature enough to play a game where you kill people, they can handle someone using strong language now and then.

#4 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

I would like the option to read any and all posts without censorship, I am a big boy and and certainly do not need protection from words.

vulgar words that is...

#5 DisasterMedic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Just focus! The PGIlliance said they'd waltz through Goonrenity Valley and we choked them with those words. We've done the impossible and that makes us mighty. Just a little while longer and our angels are gonna be soarin' overhead rainin' fire those arrogant cods so you hold. YOU HOLD.

#6 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

Anyone have a list of lore-based curse words?

#7 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostLordSkippy, on 31 August 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

Anyone have a list of lore-based curse words?

It's Battletech, we'll just steal the ones from Battlestar Galactica and act surprised when they file for copyright infringement.

#8 Gregory Owen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 31 August 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Thread recovery could be carried out by report. If enough people want it up and the conversation remains constructive we can certainly consider restoring such threads.

The word filter is global and triggers on submitting, rather than a layer applied to the text as your suggestion on that front would require. There's only so much I'm able to do with the boards admin tools. We do, however, take in such suggestions on the website & forum board for consideration in future web development.

We know some of you might be accustomed to salty language be it on other places online or in everyday life. (You certainly don't want to hear me after I've stubbed my toe.) At the moment, however, in spite of not being rated as an online experience, we are aiming to have a fantasy science fiction action entertainment offering that is friendly and open to both young and old MechWarriors. In short, we don't want to be a place where young sibko learn language that can be viewed as vulgar or abusive. Those who don't mind such vocabulary have a multitude of ways they can enjoy such otherwise while still playing MWO.

all I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH, we're marketing it to kids, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

#9 Salient

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 538 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Why would someone make a sim pit for a third person game being marketed towards world of tanks players?

Also I dont see how this poll is even relevant, since only the vocal minority are on the forums, and the vocal majority doesnt vote. So just do whatever it is you've ALREADY decided to do, and stop insulting us by making it seem like we have some choice in the matter.

Would you like an Ice Cream?
1) Yes!
2) I'm lactose intolerant... sorbet please!

Edited by Salient, 31 August 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

The word filter is global and triggers on submitting, rather than a layer applied to the text as your suggestion on that front would require. There's only so much I'm able to do with the boards admin tools. We do, however, take in such suggestions on the website & forum board for consideration in future web development.

We know some of you might be accustomed to salty language be it on other places online or in everyday life. (You certainly don't want to hear me after I've stubbed my toe.) At the moment, however, in spite of not being rated as an online experience, we are aiming to have a fantasy science fiction action entertainment offering that is friendly and open to both young and old MechWarriors. In short, we don't want to be a place where young sibko learn language that can be viewed as vulgar or abusive. Those who don't mind such vocabulary have a multitude of ways they can enjoy such otherwise while still playing MWO.

If it's a limitation of the forum software, it's understandable then- I'm used to Vbulletin, PHPbb and a few others that let you customize that, and thought you guys might have something similar. But given that the game doesn't have an ESRB/PEGI rating, I don't blame you. I do try to remain well-spoken, which is part of why I like being able to swear every now and then, and being able to hear it from others; they're very useful words for when you feel very strongly, after all.

On an unrelated note, I'd love to have General Discussion back. ;]

#11 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostDisasterMedic, on 31 August 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

Just focus! The PGIlliance said they'd waltz through Goonrenity Valley and we choked them with those words. We've done the impossible and that makes us mighty. Just a little while longer and our angels are gonna be soarin' overhead rainin' fire those arrogant cods so you hold. YOU HOLD.

OMG!

I was just watching that Firefly premiere while you were posting this lmbao!

#12 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thread recovery could be carried out by report. If enough people want it up and the conversation remains constructive we can certainly consider restoring such threads.

Sooo.... No, to freedom of speech. yes, to censorship... doesn't sound right to me.

#13 Naja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 187 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostAbivard, on 31 August 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Sooo.... No, to freedom of speech. yes, to censorship... doesn't sound right to me.

Freedom of speech is all well and good, but there's hardly anything wrong with censoring curse words, they aren't editing the content of what you're saying, and if removing curse words does significantly alter your argument, I would argue it wasn't a very well thought out one to begin with.

I myself don't even notice bad language. I'm Australian after all, I think Jim Jefferies' tones down the language for American audiences, but I fail to see how it's an infringment on your rights to disallow swearing.

Mountains, molehills, etc.

inb4 PGI white knight, #bringbackgeneraldiscussion

Edited by Naja, 31 August 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#14 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

The Sim-pit forum suggestion got me lol.

#15 Big Giant Head

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Locationingalaxyfarfaraway

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Here it goes...

#16 Khan Warlock Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Grey Wolves Den

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

It does seem slightly laughable to start a poll to see what the demographic you no longer see as your core player base wants. Because your going to do what you want to do irrespective of which way we vote.

#17 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

Could we just get our damn Faction recruitment subforums? My regiment and our fellows dislike trying to compete with/against the great merc corps out there- we are different from the mercs and players who want a House-dedicated regiment have a hard time slogging through pages of posts to find the different Faction regiments among the mercs in Outreach.

#18 CSPshala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I was under the impression that we're a vocal minority, and polls outta here are "unrepresentative of the player base".

#19 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

The 'uncomplicate the forums and return general discussion' poll option seems to be missing.

#20 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

It would be nice to have more than 10 block quotes per post.

Other than that, if you're going to let people edit their posts after the first the minutes they're posted, you shouldn't archive them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users