7 replies to this topic

#1 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

I did try to search for this, but was unable to find a single thing about it. It has been said that this game will, mostly, be about PvP, but there was enough of a hole left open for me to be able to hope for a PvE campaign with my friends. That being said, I was just looking at MechWarrior III game-play footage on YouTube, and it brought to memory how the Operations, Campaigns, and Missions in this game were handled, and I know I would love to have a setup just like that for any potential PvE campaigns, or even planned conquest PvP campaigns. Would it be possible for an element commander to use maps and intelligence available to them in-game to plan missions, perhaps to even use a drone to fly over the mission area, recording the entire track for review later, for planning and orders to go out to MechWarriors who will be executing these missions?

I know it might be too much, but I would still love to see something like this.

#2 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

I dunno, I like this idea. Get "outdated" maps like you occasionally had to deal with in MW3 if a fly-over was impossible. Yeah, if these guys want to do a SP/PvE thing, this would be a good idea. Bravo.

#3 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Sounds complicated, but I like it. The pre-battle briefings and debriefings were always well done and aesthetically pleasing - it really felt military. This feature should be carried over to MWO.

#4 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

View Postethnic minority, on 10 November 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

Sounds complicated, but I like it. The pre-battle briefings and debriefings were always well done and aesthetically pleasing - it really felt military. This feature should be carried over to MWO.
I was actually thinking about those in command of the various units building and delivering the briefings themselves, to their officers in order to beat the opposition. With a decent planning and plan-delivery capability, commanders could cover the major bases and then get into the battles themselves, lead from the front, as certain silly MechWarriors on this forum really want. "I won't follow someone who won't lead from the front!" Sorry, deja-flashback! I would prefer to be leading from the front, as well, but I would like to get my Command & Staff together, first, and go over the Operations, Campaigns, and Missions layout for each Lance or Company.

#5 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 10 November 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

I was actually thinking about those in command of the various units building and delivering the briefings themselves, to their officers in order to beat the opposition. With a decent planning and plan-delivery capability, commanders could cover the major bases and then get into the battles themselves, lead from the front, as certain silly MechWarriors on this forum really want. "I won't follow someone who won't lead from the front!" Sorry, deja-flashback! I would prefer to be leading from the front, as well, but I would like to get my Command & Staff together, first, and go over the Operations, Campaigns, and Missions layout for each Lance or Company.

only if the player commander's voice is as awesome as the one in mw3 :)

Edited by ethnic minority, 10 November 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#6 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, EM, I would like that, too. My Dad has a pretty deep voice, and I always wanted to inherit his. Unfortunately, though I've been told otherwise, especially with my ability to sing, I personally believe I sound like a chipmunk on crack, hehe. So, when I go to deliver orders, I'm sure there will be some laughter, hehe.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 10 November 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#7 KitLightning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

A similar system as used in Battlefield for the Commander would be very welcomed from my view. It was more or less what I cherished the most in that game, though I was a frontline CO if acting as such, guiding the team from a Helo :)

In a Pre-Ops situation, the CO should be able to draw the battle as wanted with the abilitity to set up waypoints for the deployed assets. If intelligence of hostile forces would be available those should surely only be seen if a drone had been purchased and deployed. Also the feedback should only be a suggestion of what is fielded to enhance the immersion and not make it too easy to counter. Also a function to save different battleplans deffinentely should be available, since there will usually be more than one plan taken up during a battle in my experience. Battleplanning by pen and paper is okay along with some photoshopping but the latter gets tiresome after a few dozen plans and Tacitum is dead, that was a little site where you could upload your images to and setup waypoints and save the plans accordingly :D

Actively on the battlefield it would work as in BF, where initially the CO just would have a map displaying the friendly forces along with the waypoints for the squads, and a Drone could be available for deployement every 5-10 minutes and either a fly-over with a drone-plane or a deployable C3 unit could be insterted on specified pathes or sectors on the map during the game. The waypoints for the Squads should work as in BF too where you can repath the waypoints or delete them if obsolete.

#8 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:41 AM

Let me go one step further, Kit. Once a plan is selected by Higher and it goes to the individual elements, the ground commanders can change things as need-be, can delete or move old waypoints, etc., and, should any 'Mech fall, especially the ground commander of any element, they can delete the plans altogether so any battlefield intelligence collected will not include their maps.

I am loving how this is shaping up... now, if we could just have this much fun with it in-game, that would be the icing on the cake.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users