12 replies to this topic

#1 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm just getting into Cents, and find the A fun, but looking at the D, the differences seem to be minor. Cent-D has an extra Ballistic slot in the arm, 1 less Missile and module slot, but can mount stupidly large engines. Seems like there's little reason to keep both of them around once you master the chasis (or simply ignore one entirely if you get an Wang).

Are there any effective builds you can build on the Cent-A that you can't replicate on the Cent-D? Is that 3rd missile slot really that useful? I'm having trouble finding a good build that uses it without sacrificing mobility or the ballistic.

#2 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Some people are very dedicated to that 3rd missile slot. Unless you are, take the D. I'm going t pick one up again soon. I can live with the 2/3 missile in order to get the speed option and the ability to load 2xAC5 or AC5+AC2 for suppressive fire.

#3 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

The cent D makes a very good zombie mech with standard engine, 2 Med lasers, 16 to 18 srms... and maybe a machine gun. With ammo placed in the left torso with case, you'll take forever to go down. Legs are becoming favorite targets on cents so ammo placement in them is not recommanded.

The cent A excels as a very fast medium. Dual srm 6 , two Med lasers, and machine guns for the greatest speed, or an AC/5 for some extra punch. Place the biggest XL you can afford and start wrecking with hit and run tactics.

In either case, just a reminder, hit / to open your missle doors if running srms. The delay with em closed is a ***** to compensate for at close range.

#4 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

I use The Cent D as a light mech killer when loaded with XL340 LPL(CT) and 2srm6 with artemis.....a zombie on speed(110KPH).......Or 1 ac10 2ML(CT) and 1srm6 w Arti. XL300 does wonders and does 100KPH to hide behind meat shields. To go full zombie, u stay away from XL engines....and Use the A chassis for 3X SRMS but by the time you have mastered the chassis you can afford to live a little and spice(speed) things up with XLs....

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 13 August 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostDracol, on 13 August 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

The cent D makes a very good zombie mech with standard engine, 2 Med lasers, 16 to 18 srms... and maybe a machine gun. With ammo placed in the left torso with case, you'll take forever to go down. Legs are becoming favorite targets on cents so ammo placement in them is not recommanded.

The cent A excels as a very fast medium. Dual srm 6 , two Med lasers, and machine guns for the greatest speed, or an AC/5 for some extra punch. Place the biggest XL you can afford and start wrecking with hit and run tactics.

In either case, just a reminder, hit / to open your missle doors if running srms. The delay with em closed is a ***** to compensate for at close range.

Wait, you need to open the missle doors? Ugh, that explains the delay.

#6 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I use the Cent-D for the XL engine (XL 300) to go fast for Return to Base, chasing a light and to get behind assaults and some heavies. The Cent A or AL for that matter I run a STD engine (250 or 220 I think?) to give me some durability to stay in the game longer by trying to take damage on the left and then the right.

I use to run out ahead in 8v8 with the D and snipe with the Gauss, disappear and then find a light or two or maybe a straggler medium or heavy. Or to Cap for Conquest or maybe start a Base cap to get some of the other guys to turn around. With 12v12 that's changed, more like a quick responder/support and also again try to get behind unnoticed or while some assault is too busy for me in my Cent.

#7 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Because ballistics are too heavy, the mechs aren't comparable.
Take a D for a 340 plus xl plus 2 m lasers and two srms.
Take an A or an AL if you want more firepower and survivability, but a slower 275 std engine.

(A is 3 srms, 2 ml,, al is 4 ml, 2 srms).

In other words, the D and the As are like comparing jenners and blackjacks, they're just not the same kinds of mechs.

Edit: eliting mechs is incredibly important. So in the long run, plan on buying 3 cents anyways if you like them. The question is which of the 4 to pass on.

I skipped the D because I feel if I'm making a fast medium, I want jump jets, ergo, I have trebs for that. But you may not have a spare 50 million cbills :-). All 4 cents are good is the good news.

Edited by DanNashe, 13 August 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#8 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

The only thing about the cents missile doors, is the fact that when open, they are no longer shielding the pods. you will find they explode and are disabled much sooner......(I've gotten pretty good at opening and closing them as I need them)

#9 _demir

• PipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

The D has more ballistic slots and can use up to a 390 engine, while the A has more missile slots and can use a 275 engine.

Personally, if I want to run more than 1 ballistic, I bring a jager or k2 catapult. Unless you put 2 mg or 2ac2's in there, you're not going to be able to fit anything else without sacrificing on engine

The D can be fun with a huge XL engine in it, but your loadout will suffer if you go over a 275XL, and it'll cost you about 16-17 mil once you're done (not including any modules). Best loadout on a maxed D is 2mg, 2mlas, 2 ssrm2 --- it goes 139 kph w/ tweak

Fun, but I did eventually sell my AL and my D --- I only play the A these days.

Edited by demir, 12 September 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#10 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

It comes down to the pilot, mates, whether the CNT-9D or -9A is better.

#11 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

I've mastered the cents, using the A, AL and D. At first the A seems tempting when you forgo the obvious AC10 and use SRM6s with Artemis, but the chassis only has 10 tubes. Fireing 2 volleys of SRMs at the high speeds, that Centurions move with is not very effective.
The AL however was a very good one. I used 2 PPCs and 2 MLs on this model with a 275XL and 17 DHS. You can do a lot of damage with this guy. It's a close second best for me.
The D however is just a little bit better. I can use it both for hunting light mechs as well as striking/supporting my heavier colleagues. It runs significantly faster while not sacrificing anything noteworthy for it.

The build I optimized after many hours working on the cent is this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb35a9757b94cc2

I can't find any other Cent build performing similarly well. The ammo is optimized this way, because your right arm is hard to protect. On any Cent you want to shield only with your left arm. Shielding your torso with your arms is easy, but it gets your right arm destroyed very quickly, so you have to actively work on keeping it alive as long as possible. Its destruction is inevitable though, hence it's best to carry another ton of SRM ammo to keep running with the SRMs and MLs.
With the LB10x and this speed of nearly 110kph you will be the bane of the light mechs, while you can use the SRMs in conjunction to do some damage to assaults too. Assaults don't have the speed to defend against you, so these are easier targets than heavy mechs. Be careful of LRM volleys.

#12 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

I use the fact of the cent Ds large engine cap as its advantage. 360XL is the sweet spot for me and I treat it as more of a fat scout/light hunter. The Cent A is the beefy brawler with the usual laser/srm6 combo ignoring the ballistics.

#13 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 19 September 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

I've mastered the cents, using the A, AL and D. At first the A seems tempting when you forgo the obvious AC10 and use SRM6s with Artemis, but the chassis only has 10 tubes. Fireing 2 volleys of SRMs at the high speeds, that Centurions move with is not very effective.

wrong. the 9-A fires all 18 missiles in one volley despite only having 10 tubes on the model. with Artemis, it's like a big blob of hurt darting toward the enemy. provided the damage registers properly, that is. >_>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users