11 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Want to double check my facts before I potentially squander millions of cbills.

I have the Basic tree filled on 2 Ravens (2X and 4X) and so the plan is to acquire a 3L. I believe that once I complete the Basic tier on the 3L, I will unlock the next tier. I also believe that I will need to repeat this process with 2 other mechs (say Spider and Jenner) in order to unlock the final tier.

So my question is do I need to actually buy all the skills in the 2nd tier, or is it enough to unlock it? Hopefully this makes sense. Typing this at work while pretending to work and also pretending I am paying attention to the MS video I have going in the background :wub:

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

All you ever wanted to know on the topic with examples!

http://mwomercs.com/...cies-explained/

#3 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostscJazz, on 31 August 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

All you ever wanted to know on the topic with examples!

http://mwomercs.com/...cies-explained/

Doh! I saw that thread but thought it was talking about the skills themselves not how to unlock them etc. Thanks for the headsup. I was a bit confused, and now I need to go crunch numbers and think on how to proceed. Waffling on selling the 4X to help finance the 3L or keep it and work on the Elites on it.

Again thanks for the info and not, despite my deserving it, flaming me into a puddle :wub:

#4 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

It is a very frequently asked question.

So much so that I actually have that link saved on my handy dandy answering New Players notepad.

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostscJazz, on 31 August 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

It is a very frequently asked question.

So much so that I actually have that link saved on my handy dandy answering New Players notepad.

Well I do appreciate it. Stuck at work so can't load up the game to look it up there, and it was bugging me on selling vs waiting etc etc.

Well off to find out if I already liked your ATD 46 question or not...already been thru the thread, but have to support the nice people or else the *transmission garbled* will take over!!!

**edit** I hadn't but did. :) For what it's worth, I read that as if you quit while alive, you don't get any match rewards but if you die you do. I took it as a way to combat people ragequitting or trying to avoid a death but still get credit if they won etc.

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 31 August 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Earl White

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

So do you need to keep all 3 variants in your garage to get the elite skills? Or can you unlock all the basic skills on one variant, sell it then buy another variant and unlock them on that one etc.

Also the internal heatsinks on mechs variants are different, does it mean that certain mech variants have better heat efficiency overall than others?

#7 Finletter

• Pip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostEarl White, on 31 August 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

So do you need to keep all 3 variants in your garage to get the elite skills? Or can you unlock all the basic skills on one variant, sell it then buy another variant and unlock them on that one etc.

Also the internal heatsinks on mechs variants are different, does it mean that certain mech variants have better heat efficiency overall than others?

You can sell them once you have 8/8 basics, but in order to unlock Master (and also to unlock the 2x Basic bonus) you *need* to unlock 3 mechs of the same type (light, medium, heavy, assault). If you have other mechs you can advance, then go ahead and sell; but if you don't, you won't be able to "maximize" the bonuses.

Internal heat sinks are just for the stock loadout. Yes, some are more efficient than others, but installing a bigger engine (if it's under 250 rating), upgrading to Double Heat Sinks, and/or adding more heat sinks can all improve the efficiency of any mech.

The most important part of heat sink efficiency is that the DHS included in the engine (up to the first 10) operate at 2.0x efficiency, whereas any that aren't included in the engine's weight will operate at 1.4x the efficiency of a regular HS.

#8 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostEarl White, on 31 August 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I see you didn't bother reading my link.

GJ!

#9 Earl White

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostscJazz, on 31 August 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

I see you didn't bother reading my link.

GJ!

The link did not answer my question, not to mention it had some incorrect information (such as trial mechs earning xp).

#10 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostEarl White, on 31 August 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

The link did not answer my question, not to mention it had some incorrect information (such as trial mechs earning xp).

Trial Mechs do earn XP. You just can't spend it.

You can Buy Variant A, do Basic, Sell it, Buy Variant B, do Basic, sell it, Buy Variant C do basic, and then run it up to Elite if that is your desire. If you already have 2 other Variants of the same weight class at Elite you can also run Variant C and the other two mechs up to Master.

#11 Earl White

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostscJazz, on 31 August 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Trial Mechs do earn XP. You just can't spend it.

You can Buy Variant A, do Basic, Sell it, Buy Variant B, do Basic, sell it, Buy Variant C do basic, and then run it up to Elite if that is your desire. If you already have 2 other Variants of the same weight class at Elite you can also run Variant C and the other two mechs up to Master.

The question was answered already by Heskolt above ^

What exactly do you mean by, you do earn xp "but can't spend it" where does the xp go exactly? Does the xp suddenly appear if you buy the same mech as the trial version?

#12 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostEarl White, on 31 August 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

The question was answered already by Heskolt above ^

What exactly do you mean by, you do earn xp "but can't spend it" where does the xp go exactly? Does the xp suddenly appear if you buy the same mech as the trial version?

Yes... for instance the Catapult A1 (C) is a Champion Trial Mech right now. All the XP you earn while using it goes into the pool for the Catapult CPLT-A1/A1(C). Champion mechs share the XP pool with their Originals. You could pilot the A1(C) earn 14,250xp for it but not be able to spend it and then finally having finished your Cadet Bonus with 8m CB buy the Catapult A1 or A1(c) (requires $$$ for the champion). Having bought it you can spend all those built up XP instantly and finish basic instantly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users