Finally Getting Into The Game

72 replies to this topic

#41 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostPriahpus, on 01 September 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

I tried the trial ctplt a1c. I have to admit, I have much more fun getting up and close with the slow moving atlas RS.

Guess I'm the kind of person that enjoys heavy armor and up close figthing.

Maybe I stick witht he atlas? Getting good at it. getting matches where I get 3-4 kills with 500+ damage done. key (for me at least) is to stick with a pack of mechs.

Those kind of stats sound like you are doing well. What is your Atlas config? If you are enjoying it and you are doing well then perhaps you should just get 2 more Atlai and Elite or Master some of them.

#42 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostscJazz, on 01 September 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Those kind of stats sound like you are doing well. What is your Atlas config? If you are enjoying it and you are doing well then perhaps you should just get 2 more Atlai and Elite or Master some of them.

I thought about that as well...

Trying to see if I can mess with the hunchback and convert it into something more long range... thoughts?

HBK-4J

The atlas looks like this AS7-RS(C)

#43 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostscJazz, on 01 September 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

AS7-RS© Like Gauss Sniper Only Not

Based on what you linked to us as being your Atlas RS. Using UAC5 instead of Gauss since GRs are about to get nerfed and the weapon that will replace it is a UAC5. The ML and SSRMs are just there for light defense. BAP included for faster targeting info which should help you pick the right spots to shoot. It isn't optimized, just gives you the feel of the UAC5+2PPC.

I think you should try the Atlas config above. Twice the effective range of your Atlas.

HBK-4J Lurmer
Too much ammo in your HBK. Ammo in wrong spots. Too slow. Needs more Medium Laser and the TAG is in the wrong location. Not enough armor.

Remember... if you are not running out of ammo during at least some matches (I average 1 in 10 in my Catapult A1) then you have too much! I left one ton free for either ML, DSHS, or more ammo if you do add more ammo it should go in Center Torso.

#44 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostscJazz, on 01 September 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I think you should try the Atlas config above. Twice the effective range of your Atlas.

HBK-4J Lurmer
Too much ammo in your HBK. Ammo in wrong spots. Too slow. Needs more Medium Laser and the TAG is in the wrong location. Not enough armor.

Remember... if you are not running out of ammo during at least some matches (I average 1 in 10 in my Catapult A1) then you have too much! I left one ton free for either ML, DSHS, or more ammo if you do add more ammo it should go in Center Torso.

Thanks bud!

I just tried the TAG with the LRM10s. I just end up too close in the fight constantly. I don't think I was meant to be a long range kinda guy. how does that BEP thing work? I added that in too (just got rid of lasers to see how it works) and can't figure out how to activate it or anything.

#45 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostPriahpus, on 01 September 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Thanks bud!

I just tried the TAG with the LRM10s. I just end up too close in the fight constantly. I don't think I was meant to be a long range kinda guy. how does that BEP thing work? I added that in too (just got rid of lasers to see how it works) and can't figure out how to activate it or anything.

BAP just works... you don't need to do anything with it.

Sounds like you might be suffering from W+M1 Syndrome. Press W to move forward, press Left Mouse button (M1) to fire. Ending up right in their face. I wouldn't be surprised at all since that is what happens to nearly every new player.

If this is the case then you DO NOT WANT a Cataphract right now. It is a Sniper.

Try the HBK some more... try not to get right in everyone's face. Give the longer range Atlas a shot although it is acceptable to get in peoples face with that one :)

I'll repeat for third time for emphasis... try not to get all up in their grill... kay? You might be a natural brawler but we won't know until you learn to control the range of the fight.

#46 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostscJazz, on 01 September 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

BAP just works... you don't need to do anything with it.

Sounds like you might be suffering from W+M1 Syndrome. Press W to move forward, press Left Mouse button (M1) to fire. Ending up right in their face. I wouldn't be surprised at all since that is what happens to nearly every new player.

If this is the case then you DO NOT WANT a Cataphract right now. It is a Sniper.

Try the HBK some more... try not to get right in everyone's face. Give the longer range Atlas a shot although it is acceptable to get in peoples face with that one :)

I'll repeat for third time for emphasis... try not to get all up in their grill... kay? You might be a natural brawler but we won't know until you learn to control the range of the fight.

it's just that when I don't get too close, I don't get a lock on for missiles. or they are hidden/concealed behind cliffs etc.

really trying this missile thing... I got my butt kicked by LRMs in the last match with the hunchback

#47 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Dude what range are you fighting at?

#48 TheNose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Have you read this guide?

I would suggest you downgrade your SRM6 to SRM4, cause you have a 5 and a 4 tubes pod on that chasis.

#49 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

with the LRMs I k

View PostscJazz, on 01 September 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Dude what range are you fighting at?

with the LRMs I try to stay as far as I can (800-1000)

brawling with the atlas, I try to get up in their face and hit them in the head or back

View PostTheNose, on 01 September 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Have you read this guide?

I would suggest you downgrade your SRM6 to SRM4, cause you have a 5 and a 4 tubes pod on that chasis.

explain little better? I don't understand whatcya mean

#50 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

That was a great guide btw. some good setups in there I might try with the GR and all

#51 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostscJazz, on 01 September 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

HBK-4J Lurmer

Would another atlas mech work with a profile like that? so I can have 2 atlases to get closer to the master skills?

#52 Lan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostPriahpus, on 01 September 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Would another atlas mech work with a profile like that? so I can have 2 atlases to get closer to the master skills?

Yes and no. All Atlas have energy, ballistic and missile slots. The number of each differ. Let me illustrate.

Jazz suggestion:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...16fca7f40cb4e30

AS7-K (Jazz)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...04a2b684a980e56

AS7-K (PPC's exchanged with LLAS for better cooling, better HSR reliability and no min range)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...002150a4bf9505e

AS7-D-DC (Jazz)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6af94040201d0be

AS7-D-DC (Variant with a totally different loadout to illustrate the power of brawling)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1c4a6daf45dbfac

AS7-D (Jazz)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4adec5cbd351fc7

AS7- D (Another variant)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a919b42b58c9504

The Atlas Playbook (A guide)
http://www.mechspecs...hp?topic=1586.0

The MechSpecs Atlas board
http://www.mechspecs....php?board=22.0

Good luck, there are a fantastic number of possibilities and loadouts to fit any pilots playstyle. As a Atlas pilot, specially when the weight limit comes in, your role is pivotal for the team. Noone has the armor the Atlas have. Spend it wisely.

PS: I tend to avoid PPC's at the moment because of HSR issues. This may or may not be true for all pilots but I find the PPC's do not register hits properly. Pulse and standard lasers appears to hit more reliably, likely due to the fact they deliver damage over time and constantly test as opposed to ballistic which test to hit once only.

Edited by Lan, 02 September 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#53 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

With lrms range there are two considerations. 1) How good is the lock and 2) How far away is the enemy. To answer number 1, I generally never fire my lrms as soon as I get a lock. I wait just a little bit and see if the lock goes away. (Remember that someone on your team needs to keep LOS on an enemy in order to maintain a lock, which everyone can use.) Once the lock lasts for a bit, then I will fire lrms. If you see a red eyeball on an enemy that you have targeted, do not fire any more lrms at that target. Once all of your lrms have either hit or missed, switch targets and repeat. Also, look for the tag symbol. If you see a little red + next to the triangle, your lrms are more likely to hit that target, so lrm away. Try to maintain lrms on a single target until that target is either destroyed or so badly damaged that someone else can finish them off. (Legged, no weapons left, center solid red.) As for number 2, your lrm maximum range is 1000m. But, your target isn't stationary and lrms take time to hit. As soon as you fire lrms, your target hears and sees the incoming missile warning. At maximum range they have a fair amount of time to get behind cover or get out of range. Also, the enemy is 1000m in a straight line, but lrms travel in an arc, so they must travel farther to get to a target. Once they travel 1000m they blow up, which may only be 900m in a straight line. So, determine what kind of mech you're lrming. If it's a fast mover try to get them around 600m. They will have less time to react and won't be able to get out of range before the first wave arrives. Also, try to target enemies that are the closest to you, especially if you see one heading straight for you. Which actually brings up a third point. The most effective lrm boats carry TAG, BAP and some kind of short range defense. My Stalker 5M has 5 lrm5s+ artie, 4 mplas, tag and bap with 1800 rounds of lrm ammo. (I'm still playing with the ammo numbers).If you see an Atlas DDC bearing down on you once he's within 750m, TAG him and rain lrms on him. If he chooses to continue keep firing lrms and once he's in range fire your point defense. You will take him out easily thanks to the combination of lrms and tag. You will be surprised at how easy this is with TAG. Without it, you are relying on friendlies to cancel his ECM.

#54 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

View PostLan, on 02 September 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

Yes and no. All Atlas have energy, ballistic and missile slots. The number of each differ. Let me illustrate.

Excellent stuff!

#55 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostPriahpus, on 01 September 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

very cool, thanks!

ton of helpful people here. People aren't helpful towards new players like this in other games.

much appreciated guys

You can find your share of trolls.

Consider seriously the Hunchies. I drive an HBK-4G(F) with an AC20 and 3xMLas running a STD 215. My highest grossing mech. Highest damage gotten is 800 points.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 02 September 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#56 Flitzomat

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

Good post by mailin!

And to add to scJazz: I´d say a Catapult with its agility is best between 180-500m.

Last thing: The modules sensor range and target lock of course have a huge influence when playing a LRM boat.

#57 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostFlitzomat, on 02 September 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

Good post by mailin!

And to add to scJazz: I´d say a Catapult with its agility is best between 180-500m.

Last thing: The modules sensor range and target lock of course have a huge influence when playing a LRM boat.

By target lock, I think you mean Target Decay. If that's the case, I wholeheartedly agree!

#58 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

View Postmailin, on 02 September 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

With lrms range there are two considerations. 1) How good is the lock and 2) How far away is the enemy. To answer number 1, I generally never fire my lrms as soon as I get a lock. I wait just a little bit and see if the lock goes away. (Remember that someone on your team needs to keep LOS on an enemy in order to maintain a lock, which everyone can use.) Once the lock lasts for a bit, then I will fire lrms. If you see a red eyeball on an enemy that you have targeted, do not fire any more lrms at that target. Once all of your lrms have either hit or missed, switch targets and repeat. Also, look for the tag symbol. If you see a little red + next to the triangle, your lrms are more likely to hit that target, so lrm away. Try to maintain lrms on a single target until that target is either destroyed or so badly damaged that someone else can finish them off. (Legged, no weapons left, center solid red.) As for number 2, your lrm maximum range is 1000m. But, your target isn't stationary and lrms take time to hit. As soon as you fire lrms, your target hears and sees the incoming missile warning. At maximum range they have a fair amount of time to get behind cover or get out of range. Also, the enemy is 1000m in a straight line, but lrms travel in an arc, so they must travel farther to get to a target. Once they travel 1000m they blow up, which may only be 900m in a straight line. So, determine what kind of mech you're lrming. If it's a fast mover try to get them around 600m. They will have less time to react and won't be able to get out of range before the first wave arrives. Also, try to target enemies that are the closest to you, especially if you see one heading straight for you. Which actually brings up a third point. The most effective lrm boats carry TAG, BAP and some kind of short range defense. My Stalker 5M has 5 lrm5s+ artie, 4 mplas, tag and bap with 1800 rounds of lrm ammo. (I'm still playing with the ammo numbers).If you see an Atlas DDC bearing down on you once he's within 750m, TAG him and rain lrms on him. If he chooses to continue keep firing lrms and once he's in range fire your point defense. You will take him out easily thanks to the combination of lrms and tag. You will be surprised at how easy this is with TAG. Without it, you are relying on friendlies to cancel his ECM.

Good advice. I've been trying to stay as far as I can. didn't think about it like that....

now I'm looking at setting up something like that, but why not bring lrm10s and instead of mpl, use ERPPC so you have the discretion to start hitting him from a further distance with the PPC while he is closing in on you.

Something like this. (this is with mpl instead of ERPPC)

STK-5M

#59 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostPriahpus, on 02 September 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Good advice. I've been trying to stay as far as I can. didn't think about it like that....

now I'm looking at setting up something like that, but why not bring lrm10s and instead of mpl, use ERPPC so you have the discretion to start hitting him from a further distance with the PPC while he is closing in on you.

Something like this. (this is with mpl instead of ERPPC)

STK-5M

Because the Heat Scaling (aka Ghost Heat:The Magnum Opus) would cause that design to fry if it tried to fire all those LRMs at once. If you don't fire them all at once what is the point of firing them at all? AMS, movement, losing lock, etc would mean most of the missiles would miss if they were not fired as a group.

Check out this table
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

That is the listing of the Heat Scaling penalties. Firing 5 LRM10s you would think only does 20 heat with the penalties it is 30.42.

#60 Priahpus

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

ahhh I see. I don't really understand the ghost heat. I read about it (penalty for firing same type weapons at once?) but yeah... let me look at that table.

would have been some fine firepower right there though lol

so I don't see any way of having a magnitude of same type weapons (bunch of LRMs) without getting penalized for it.

Edited by Priahpus, 02 September 2013 - 10:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users