• Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

So here's just another thread of FPs problems to throw on the fire. :P

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
AMD Fx 6100 six core 3.3GHz
8gb ram
1 TB hard drive

I know it's not an amazing setup but I can play most games on medium and some on higher settings if I sacrifice shadows which I usually do. But MWO doesn't look too amazing and even on the lowest settings I only get about 35 fps on good maps and >20 on bad maps, even less in first person perspective. Any particular reason this could be happening? If more specs are needed let me know.

#2 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

I get more FPS with lower specs (NVIDIA GForce GTX 470, QuadCore, 8GB Ram), so I guess your problem might be software-caused.

#3 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostBelmail91, on 09 September 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

So here's just another thread of FPs problems to throw on the fire. :P

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
AMD Fx 6100 six core 3.3GHz
8gb ram
1 TB hard drive

I know it's not an amazing setup but I can play most games on medium and some on higher settings if I sacrifice shadows which I usually do. But MWO doesn't look too amazing and even on the lowest settings I only get about 35 fps on good maps and >20 on bad maps, even less in first person perspective. Any particular reason this could be happening? If more specs are needed let me know.

I simply have 2 questions for you.
#1 Do you have an aftermarket cooler? or the ability and or cash flow to install an Aftermarket cooler such as noctua air cooler or coolermaster 212+?
#2 are you willing to overclock your very easily overclockable FX6100? to around 4.0?(massive gains from moderate OC) Id be willing to bet that that would skyrocket your FPS.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 09 September 2013 - 04:31 AM.

#4 Belmail91

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

I would be willing to overclock I suppose but I wouldn't have much money to invest into any cooling system, but then again i've never price checked around. And yeah Meldric I don't get what is with my FPS I run much more demanding games at better FPS all the time.

I also have never overclocked so i'd need a dummies how to guide. D:

Edited by Belmail91, 09 September 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#5 Belmail91

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

Another question I want to ask though. Shouldn't my setup be able to handle this game better than it does?

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

Have you tried deactivating windows' aero desktop (it uses the GPU and its 3D capabilities), also make sure that you have changed your power settings to performance, MWO cant scale the cpu and this can cause FPS drops because the game being DX9 based and heavy on cpu usage.

as for a cooler another one I would look at is this one. I just put this on my 8350 and I'm loving it. its super quiet and keeps the cpu very cool http://www.canadacom...&item_id=055211

#7 Belmail91

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

Alright thanks for the help on the cooler but im still not so sure on the whole overclocking thing.

#8 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

here's a good site to look at for AMD overclocking http://rog.asus.com/...clocking-guide/ Be warned though you can mess things up very quick.

What Mother board do you have in your computer, and memory, and PSU?

#9 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostBelmail91, on 09 September 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

Another question I want to ask though. Shouldn't my setup be able to handle this game better than it does?

yes it should. The game performance had decayed over the last couple of patches. I have a FX6300 and 560ti-OC and its no difference to your framerate. The CPU and GPU are not even on 50% load, but the frame rate is in the range of 20-40 fps. More CPU speed does not ensure more framerate.

Overclocking your rig makes no sense and i would advice against it, because you seems not experienced in this field and it will not make MWO run (significantly) better than it does now.

The only thing to do, is to report the bad performance and hope that PGI will invent a fix to solve this bad performance.

#10 Belmail91

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

It makes me rather upset when I can't play a game because of some silly optimization issues even when my rig can handle it. Kinda how I feel with TW:Rome2 right now. It looks worse than TW:Shogun2 but runs horribly worse...like laughably.

#11 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Have you tried using custom CFG settings for the game? see these two links. I also believe their are power settings for Nvidia cards, not sure where it is though, I would see if any of these help prior to playing with over clocking.

http://mwomercs.com/...d-usercfg-file/

http://mwomercs.com/...ops-with-12v12/

#12 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostGaragano, on 09 September 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

yes it should. The game performance had decayed over the last couple of patches. I have a FX6300 and 560ti-OC and its no difference to your framerate. The CPU and GPU are not even on 50% load, but the frame rate is in the range of 20-40 fps. More CPU speed does not ensure more framerate.

Overclocking your rig makes no sense and i would advice against it, because you seems not experienced in this field and it will not make MWO run (significantly) better than it does now.

The only thing to do, is to report the bad performance and hope that PGI will invent a fix to solve this bad performance.

Woah Woah Woah, slow the phone down, Myself and others have actually proven just that. That OC the FX series any # of modules vastly improves framerates all around. doesnt need thermal nuclear OC either, say to 4.2ghz ish! just moderate OC will bring min, max and maybe budge the average a bit. but those low dips are what kills your fun. >20fps can get you merc'd in a hurry. Read Page #2.....http://mwomercs.com/...ad/page__st__20

#13 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Ive owned and payed with fx4100 both hit 4.8ghz on air no sweat(had 2 from binn :P ) Fx8120 hit 5ghz in win7 no problem but thermal throttled like mad, reduced to 4.6ghz all 8 threads was about the highest performance point. and the 8350 have had it clocked anywhere from 4.5 to 4.7ghz since the say I bought it on H80 push pull, But vishera is most def the stronger chip in MWO, almost doubling my Min FPS from stock 4100 to stock 8350....than OC pushed way into the sweet spot.

#14 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I've got my 8350 clocked at 4.4ghz rite now with the H80 cooler, It stabilized my FPS and runs nice and cool

#15 Belmail91

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Well perhaps somebody could aid me in small incremental overclocking until I find a good spot?

#16 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostShamous13, on 09 September 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

What Mother board do you have in your computer, and memory (brand and speed), and PSU (make and size)?

More information would help.

Edited by Shamous13, 09 September 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#17 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

If we know what mobo + ram(CL and mhz), PSU, and cooling setup we can most definatly help you stabilize a small OC probably without a voltage bump. ;)

#18 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Before you can begin OC your CPU you'll need to verify your temps now, with stock cooler and stock clocks(and verify heat syncs are free and clear......running a program like prime 95 is the standard goto method these days for stress testing, and Furmark for GPU, but be warned Epileptics should not use Furmark AT ALL!!!!!!!!! A temperature monitoring program is a must for cpu overclocking. Once you can see your individual(cores) and package(IHS) temps in realtime Ocing becomes easy. you will quickly learn your heat ceiling or voltage ceiling without a huge performance air cooler you will not get into the danger zone from Vcore. Heat will be your #1 factor here. 65celcius per core or 71 celcius for CPU package is the redline, avoid this at all costs.(hense realtime temp display req.)

#19 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

You should be getting better FPS.

FX-4100 OC'd to 4.2GHz with an aftermarket cooler (Antec 620) runs 30-52 deg C. I get a consistent 60 FPS but sometimes as low as 45 FPS during busy matches.

My current vid card is a GTX760 4GB. Not overclocked, but has an Arctic Cooling aftermarket cooler. I have 16GB RAM (1600/12800) Even the GTX560 SC I just replaced (on the same build) gave me 35-60 FPS.

4-6 GB of RAM is more than adequate for the game (I do photography and the 16GB RAM helps during rendering/conversion)

#20 Belmail91

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 09 September 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

You should be getting better FPS.

FX-4100 OC'd to 4.2GHz with an aftermarket cooler (Antec 620) runs 30-52 deg C. I get a consistent 60 FPS but sometimes as low as 45 FPS during busy matches.

My current vid card is a GTX760 4GB. Not overclocked, but has an Arctic Cooling aftermarket cooler. I have 16GB RAM (1600/12800) Even the GTX560 SC I just replaced (on the same build) gave me 35-60 FPS.

4-6 GB of RAM is more than adequate for the game (I do photography and the 16GB RAM helps during rendering/conversion)

Then what's the problem? I rolled back my drivers off of the beta ones and thought it might be an issue as it was with another game but no such luck sadly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users