The Point Behind Missiles

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ormindo Finth

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hullo all,

First of all I'd like to mention that I started mechwarrior with Mercenaries and didn't play multiplayer much.

I've always loved AC/20's due to the nice feeling of firing that kind of things, and usually went with an AC/20 and a few medium lasers.

Today I bought my first mech which kinda fit me (Highlander 733C). I've started messing its loadout a bit, and after reading the forums, I see a lot of people use streak SRM or SRM on this chassis. However I don't (and never did) get the point of missiles. When am I supposed to fire SRMs ? Only time I used missiles in Mercenaries was when I went with an LRM mech (like a catapult). Otherwise I'd just put more ACs or lasers.

So with that Highlander, should I just use SRM as I would use an LBX (shotgun-like) ?

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

That is more or less what they are there for... BLAM! The cockpit shake SRMs cause can be pretty intense and the damage is pretty nice as well. You could use SSRM2s on your Highlander for smacking down light mechs.

Still if you are comfortable with more big guns and prefer playing that way then go for it. Use the entire left side of your mech as a shield :)

#3 Edson Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Missiles are vastly different here and you need to boat them to be effective.They are the weak end of weapons, but have their uses especially as support.

Streaks are great weapons, mostly against lights but an excellent weapon overall. It's it the sure-hit homing missile.

The SRM is just dumb fired missile, straight-forward launched in volleys. Looks more like rockets than missiles to be frank. They are to be fired are very short ranges to avoid spread and under their range limit, because they explode after that.

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well, you can't just take more autocannons or lasers instead of missiles due to hard point restrictions.

You don't have to take them of course.... But I would (and do).

Advantages of missiles?
LRM's: long range, guided, handy when firing into a brawl so you don't need to worry about friendly fire. On my 733C I run 3 lrm5 launchers, putting out decent ranged DPS for suppression purposes.
SRM's: Very high date to tonnage and slots. They do spread damage, but consider that a single SRM6 launcher is pushing 12 damage for 3 tons and 2 slots. Very short ranged (the self destruct at 270m) but three of these hit almost as hard as 2 ac20 rounds at a fraction of the size and weight. SRM's are outstanding brawling weapons.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostOrmindo Finth, on 01 September 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Hullo all,

First of all I'd like to mention that I started mechwarrior with Mercenaries and didn't play multiplayer much.

I've always loved AC/20's due to the nice feeling of firing that kind of things, and usually went with an AC/20 and a few medium lasers.

Today I bought my first mech which kinda fit me (Highlander 733C). I've started messing its loadout a bit, and after reading the forums, I see a lot of people use streak SRM or SRM on this chassis. However I don't (and never did) get the point of missiles. When am I supposed to fire SRMs ? Only time I used missiles in Mercenaries was when I went with an LRM mech (like a catapult). Otherwise I'd just put more ACs or lasers.

So with that Highlander, should I just use SRM as I would use an LBX (shotgun-like) ?

SRMs would be ideal in a brawler situation. Since you're unlikely to reach that situation as many are, they use Streaks. Streaks are typically a convenient anti-light weapon that is good for scaring off and chasing enemy lights away from you so that you can focus on more important things.

If you use a streak, back it up with a BAP.

Personally I prefer LRMs on my Highlander to soften my enemies at range before getting close to take them out.

This is kind of an oldie, but here ya go. It's got like 2 matches or so. In the first one I get 4 kills. I'm carrying lots of LRMs, 1 medium laser, 1 tag, and 1 AC/2.

Edited by Koniving, 01 September 2013 - 08:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users