Hbk...4H Or 4Sp?

18 replies to this topic

#1 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

I am currently in the process of eliting the HBKs. So far, I've completed the basic tree of both the 4H and 4SP. And now I'm torn, because I have to sell one (only got 4 slots, of which all the other are occupied). I really like them both, the 4SP is a bit more durable, while the 4H can do more peak damage.

Which one do you guys like better, and why?

#2 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

View Postzagibu, on 01 September 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

I am currently in the process of eliting the HBKs. So far, I've completed the basic tree of both the 4H and 4SP. And now I'm torn, because I have to sell one (only got 4 slots, of which all the other are occupied). I really like them both, the 4SP is a bit more durable, while the 4H can do more peak damage.

Which one do you guys like better, and why?

This is hard to answer because they're both solid. The 4H can have more pinpoint damage with a proper build while the 4SP lacks the hunch problem. If the hunch is coming off too easily for you go with the 4SP but if that isn't a problem go with the 4H. In the end, which one do you like better? For me, I actually prefer the 4H over the 4SP mostly because I like the firepower of the AC and the raw pinpoint damage. The 4SP, despite it's popularity on the forums, is actually one of my least favorite hunchbacks believe it or not. However, the 4SP is the most popular hunchback variant for a reason. It truly is solid. Which one gets you better results? I would base it off that/fun factor.

#3 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

Thank you. I think I'll keep the 4H, because it allows for more varied loadouts than the 4SP. Your thread with Hunchback builds is excellent, btw., thanks for that, too.

#4 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

I'd just buy more mechbays.
1 mechbay costs 300 mc. The least mc you can buy is 1250 for 7 bucks..
That gets you 4 mechbays. Each bay costing you 1,75 dollars. I mean come on it's basically nothing.
But that's just me. I love my hunchbacks and will never part with them.

Edited by Snowcrow, 02 September 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#5 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

You can't live off of just 4 mechbays. I suggest biting the bullet and buying some MC to get some mechbays. Both HBs are excellent.

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

The 4SP is the overall better mech, due to its "reduced weaknesses".

However, I'm having a blast in the 4J (not a typo)... playing it more like the 4P (again, it's not a typo).

The 4H was much better for me late in its time (I had made it a more dedicated energy boat), but I had more fun in the 4G though... (yes, no typos with the 4H+4G variant references).

Edited by Deathlike, 02 September 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#7 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostReslin, on 01 September 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

If the hunch is coming off too easily for you go with the 4SP but if that isn't a problem go with the 4H.

Little tip: Except for a small sliver on your back the entire hunch counts as front right torso. Move all but like 2 of the armor points to the front of the hunch for a bit more survivability.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostSug, on 02 September 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Little tip: Except for a small sliver on your back the entire hunch counts as front right torso. Move all but like 2 of the armor points to the front of the hunch for a bit more survivability.

Reslin already knows this, it was the first thing I taught him about his Hunchback when he got it. It works wonders. I run an XL in mine and love it.

#9 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I would suggest keeping the 4H.

The 4SP is a very solid mech, and I have logged a lot of miles in mine. But, after mastering all 5 HBK variants, playing them all very extensively, and experimenting with just about every HBK load-out under the sun, I recently sold my 4SP because I realized I was never taking it out - I would always rather take one my hunched varieties. The hunchlessness of the 4SP definitely helps with survivability, but the hunched varieties offer a bigger punch - more overall damage potential - and more variety in terms of load-outs. I've had my best matches (both in terms of fun AND scores) in my hunched HBKs, while the 4SP has always been very solid but not astounding for me.

For example, the 4J (2 10-missile hardpoints) can mount any 4SP load-out... except better. It has an additional energy hardpoint, and the 10-tube missile launchers let you run LRM builds more effectively.

Anyway - I'm also a big fan of the 4H in particular right now. I avoided it for the longest time in favor of 4G. But, I just had my best match ever in a 4H running XL275 (I know, crazy), 5 ML, and 1 LB10-X. 1040 damage, 5 kills, 7 assists. Never put up those kinds of numbers in my 4SP.

#10 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostKoniving, on 02 September 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Reslin already knows this, it was the first thing I taught him about his Hunchback when he got it. I

It was more of an ambiance tip. A tip for the thread.

#11 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

I am now leveling the 4P, and I must say, it is my favourite Hunchback so far. With 10 additional DHS you can fire those 9 med lasers all day without overheating, if you don't fire them all at once.

#12 00Grifter00

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

My biggest regret in this game, was selling mechs. When I did break down and buy mech bays, My hunchies were the first mechs I repurchased.

#13 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Nah, I don't really need more than 4 mechs. Already, one of the four is hardly ever getting any action.

#14 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

For competitive play, I bring a 4SP designed for Light-killing/reserve work (2 Streaks, 3 Medium Pulse Laser, 1 Large Laser). Other than competitive play, it stays in my hangar while I run around with a 4G/H with AC20s/LBX and Medium Lasers. Just more fun overall with the ballistic Hunchbacks for me.

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'd recommend buying more mech bays. Chances are you'll regret selling mechs.

#16 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Nah. I generally regret only few things in life. And I don't need more than 4 mechs.

#17 wikkedj

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

I've filled elite on the 4P, 4SP and 4J, just for reference, so I'm not an expert by any means. I started my 4J as an LRM boat, but I didn't care for the playstyle...plus I'm not very good at it. I LOVE playing mid-range brawlers, so my 4J is not set up pretty much the same as my 4SP. I think it really comes down to if you like using missiles or ballistics better? I don't own the ballistic hunchies because I'm now working on elite for the cataphract chassis and lord knows there's enough ballistics there to keep me happy.

PS-Like others have said...even as a casual player the first thing I did was spend a few bucks on more mech bays....I cant justify selling the mech back for the fraction you get.

#18 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Don't forget hunchback engine cap is now 275.
Very hard to fit an ac in with the 275 though.
That said it really is a choice between lasers and missiles or ballistics heavy with laser support.

I love my 4sp with 5 ml, 2 ssrm 2s, beagle, ams and a 275 engine the most right now. But love my 4h too.
So yeah ah, spend $7 on the game.
Less than a movie ticket. Gets you 4 mechbays (and 2500 gxp on a double xp conversion weekend).

I think you'll regret other choices.
The nice thing is there will be no reason to buy more until you've finished 4 more mechs, so you'll get your $7 worth. And you've probably already gotten $7 worth.

Edited by DanNashe, 19 September 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

I can see why he would feel that way (not wanting to buy mechbays)
In fact, I do not have to imagine much cause he already said why:
but there are a few other reasons to:

He may not have the money right now
He may be one of those who gets one thing and sticks with it rather than variate (about what he said)
He may be a small fish in a tank using rubber waldos to type to us and thus not... wait what?
He may simply not feel the need (now) for more mech bays
He may simply not feel the need (ever) for more mech bays
He may be a Martian coming to test us for radiation poisoning
He may have an alt-account where he puts his money in, and not need the mechbays for this account
He may be a she - which may or may not have any impact on the realities of this conversation
He may or may not be a figment of my imagination (or I his?)
He may actually be satisfied for the most part with what he has
He may..... I seem to have lost track of the other ideas, but I am sure you get the point :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users