Swapping Out One Srm 4 Artemis For Ams?

7 replies to this topic

#1 GordanFreeman23

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Im currently running Hunchback 4SP with 4 Medium Laser's and two SRM 4's with Artemis. Would it be wise to take out one SRM and replace it with an AMS?

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

What speed does your mech go?

How good are you at avoiding missile fire when it does happen?
Slow enough to feel the extra missile-only defense would make up for your weapon-loss?

I would experiment with it - only mechs I own that I mount AMS on are my Atlas and Cataphract.

Do not have much experience with the Hunchback, but I did not feel it was worth it for my Centurion...

#3 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

I believe that if you can run past 80 km/h, missiles shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you're aware of the map and where the missiles are coming from.

In slower mechs that run at around 60 km/h, its not like they have much of a choice when it comes to evadng missiles.

#4 GordanFreeman23

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

I go 84.2kph and I do hide behind something if I get the chance too, I guess I really don't need it then. Thanks for the feedback! :)

#5 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hey Slip, check this website out if you're looking for build help:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

That lets you build 'mechs and then click the Share link, and paste that in the forums. That way we can see exactly what's on your 'mech, and help you edit it from there.

EDIT: You should be able to run all that + the largest engine + likely even more stuff without sacrificing for that AMS; something is definitely wrong with your build, so if you do post it, I'm sure we can help.

Edited by Victor Morson, 20 September 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#6 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

i wouldnt do that, ams is more important on slow mechs

#7 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

between 80-100 is iffy territory for AMS. I prefer to keep it, particularly in mechs that may end up brawling with no easy cover available (over 100 you can simply outrun missiles, under 80, you need AMS).

I'll echo the question about your build, you might be able to do away with something else, like a little leg armor (most mechs can drop half a ton of that, and folks don't leg hunchies in general). Also, why not simply dump artemis? I find it not very useful on SRM4s, and that should free up at least 2 tons.

#8 Simberto

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

Also don't forget that AMS helps your team. I think if you can run AMS, you probably should. It's not that heavy, and if you got a group of 5-6 guys with AMS LRMs start crying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users