Community QNA 1 - Ask the questions

98 replies to this topic

#81 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

In the various interviews that have been given by PG and the people involved in making this game it has been mentioned that there will possibly be some form of "avatar" skills.

I am curious about the philosophy that you at PG and such are pursuing in this.

EG; what "skills" should be given strictly to the in-game avatar, and why.

I am also curious on where you draw the dividing line on these skills on what to give the avatar to do and what to give the player to do.

Thanks for wading into our posts and thanks for your time. :)

#82 Dinasis

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

Bryan,

In another, recent thread, the topic of the spawn system came up. I responded as follows:

I'd kind of like to see field commanders be able to choose where to land, say, a Colossus, and then have it be able to provide some sort of defense while sitting there, giving players a firm point to spawn from. On top of that, I'd like to see lances/individuals have the option to use something like a Leopard to swoop in over a specific area and drop in case spawning in the Colossus isn't viable. Both drop points could be chosen World in Conflict-style to give players a fairly-sized area to pick from.

In the spirit of that idea, I'd like to ask how will spawns work in a battle? -- Will we have a central base (when defending) or primary dropship (when attacking) to spawn from? Will we be able to spawn nearby from a smaller dropship if together with a lance or if going lone wolf?

Edited by Dinasis, 12 November 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#83 Reks

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

I only hope this brings the exitement back for Mechwarrior - spent probably way to many hours back in the day gaming and heard through the grapevine that the Clans where assembling again! I guess I have to blow the dust off the joystick and retro fit my scat!

#84 Owl Cutter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

I know combined arms as in Living Legends is probably too ambitious for the initial release, but has it been ruled out as a possible addition some time later on? If not, is the current framework being designed with consideration for such an addition? One of the big things distancing Mechwarrior from the source material is that in canon, battlemechs are rare and special compared to other assets, much like how assault 'mechs are rare and special compared to mediumweights, yet in mechwarrior games you see mostly big 'mechs and very few non-battlemech forces. Will the reboot eventually lead to a MW game that agrees with canon here, or perhaps rewrite the fiction to have 'mechs comprising the bulk of combat assets, or just ignore this discrepancy?

#85 Bad Haircut

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

What kind of items can we expect to see in the “Pay with real money” shop?

#86 Lagros

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Will you have PvE elements on MechWarrior Online?

#87 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

For those of us who want to play as Clanners, are there going to be any options for us, such as Star/Trinary rather than Lance/Company?

#88 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Many of us already have units or "guilds" that we belong to. How easy will it be for us to form our merc company around those existing teams? Can we recruit from players aligned to different houses? Can we play as a team against other organized teams or in npc missions? What benefits will people have in joining a guild that they wouldn't otherwise?

Edited by Seth, 13 November 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#89 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

Q. Will I be able to fully customize my Mechs' load out, decals, paint job, and equipment?

A. You will be able to customize your load out, decals, paint job and equipment. But when it comes to armor, weapons and accessories please refer to the previous question and answer.

Quote above is one from the FAQ. My questions are as follows based on the answer given to the quoted question.

1. What is meant by Loadout in this case? To many people this would mean the weapons armor, etc etc. Looking at the rest of the anser it says to refer to the question above which refers to vehicles. Based on that answer I can only assume that we won't have customization at launch, but would still like a definitive answer on the issue.

2. What do you mean by equipment?

3. What do you mean by accessories?

-end series-

1. As the game starts in 3049 will the technology of that era that has been recovered from the Helm Memory Core also be fully available for use by us?

2. When will we see some actual ingame footage or pictures?

3. What difficulties have you had transferring the mechanics from the tabletop game to a PC game, and what mechanics have you had to change or modify?

4. Since this is a reboot, will history change ingame or do you mean reboot in the same way as a movie franchise is rebooted?

5. Do you believe that you can deliver the game in the timeframe you have posted(Summer 2012)? If so what stage of the development cycle are you in?

Edited by Black Sunder, 13 November 2011 - 07:32 PM.

#90 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

"Keep it to the reboot", fine I ask What is umbrella'ed to the reboot?

I could ask about the game itself but we don't have much information since you are still in alpha stages.
I could ask about the Universe itself but it seems like you are willing to stay within the Canon which Mr Bills (line dev of Catalyst) breathed a sigh of relief.

So what can I ask about? I've read the FAQ which answered some but left other questions sitting there awaiting more than the "at this time" answers.

Yes, this is where our plan for the Inner Sphere comes into play. All players in Merc Corps will be fighting for control over various border planets. The state of these planets is persistent.

There is one thing I can ask. In this FAQ answer about a persistent enviroment this was your answer.
I notice you said border planets, but not anything else. In theory could the Davions have the ability to fight straight to Luthien and conquer it? If not how will you enforce such a design?

Will there be a Role Playing server versus a regular "I shoots it with my lasers" server?

Will merc units be able to subcontract other merc units?

What if a House falls? Say a lot of Davion players just rip the Capellans a new one and take all the worlds, will you let that happen?

It has been said that one real day will equal one game day. Aug 10 here will be Aug 10 in game. So for those that miss out on the big events, Big T or Luthien for example, will there be a way to play old moments for nostalgia sake?

#91 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

1. I know the original trailer had a Warhammer in it, so will the reboot have the un-seen, re-seen or will the 12 not be seen at all?

2. Do your developers like Cake or Pie?

#92 Tierloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:11 AM

Units in the past have used the game to provide a training ground for structure inside the unit. Things like Trial of Entry, Trials of Position, etc. This required the unit to host a locked server that they could run field ops in. In other games, I have not seen a way for a unit to drop arbitrarily into a map or game without actually having a match. The unit would want full control over the settings of the engagement.

Will MWO provide a method for a unit to run dedicated field ops so these types of operations are still available to the pilots?

Will MWO present hosted solutions that can be run by the players, or will pvp engagements be strictly hosted by a "battle.net" or equivalent matchmaking?

#93 Nill Zenath

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

I think a lot of the questions being aske, while interesting, are off topic.
My questions:
In rebooting the Mechwarrior game what was the game designers rationale for the year 3049 being chosen?

Does this reboot of Mechwarrior open the possibility of new technologies and mechs not cannonically present in the tabletop game?-Are we to regard this reboot to be of just the game franchise or the fictional setting?

Edited by Nill Zenath, 14 November 2011 - 05:45 AM.

#94 BoldarBlood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

1. Do you plan to have a hard monetisation like the one in WoT or a soft one like in LoL?

2. Is the persistant starmap gameplay compareable to the one of Multiplayer Battletech 3025?

#95 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

What is the nature of your relationship with IGP?

How did it begin?

Who is it run by and how did they get ahold of you?

#96 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

1) How many servers will there be? Will it be a single massive server? Or will there be multiple servers?

2) If single server, will players from other regions be able to join? (EU, Russian federation, Asia/Oceania?) What about ping/latency issues?

#97 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

Thank you for taking the time to sort through our questions!

I can not tell you how excited many of us are about the reboot.

Two unrelated, but interesting to me.

1. I have an unrelenting burning love (not the kind you go to the doctor about) for the unseen/reseen. In a perfect world, since they are represented so heavily in all the 5 major houses, all of them would be included in the release. Sadly, this is a highly imperfect world and that probably will not happen.
QUESTION: Will you use project phoenix art to steer around any intellectual property issues?

2. I realize this is a reboot--and at the same time, it is human to consider all the MW games that have come before, and ponder what features "worked" or should be included and what should be different.
QUESTION: What did you like about the mod Mechwarrior: Living Legends that you thought should be borrowed for MWO?

Cheers, luck, and good fortune!

#98 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

My top questions
1) How is targeting being handled? And what is being done to prevent the alpha strike that has everything hit one location?
2) How the mech customization being handled? Variants only, limited custom, full custom?
3) Is there going to be a virtual economy? Parts rarity, certain mechs only easily available to certain factions, etc
4) Are mech able to be permanently destroyed- you'll have to pick up a new chassis instead of repair?
5) Will we be able to salvage parts instead of just their value in cbills?

#99 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

This thread is now closed! Thank you to all those who contributed questions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users