17 replies to this topic

#1 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

UPDATED
Latest patch: June 17th, 2014

What is the difference between SRM6 SRM4 SRM2 with and without artemis post-Buckton Fix?

Hopefully this video from VMC will answer these questions for you!

Edited by Dyrael, 30 June 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#2 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

I managed to find this video useful. Next time you do a comparison like this though, be sure to tell use what the distance between the mechs are, as I couldn't really make it out in the video.

#3 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Good point! It is ~250m for the first and ~270 for the 2nd. WIth the new SRM flight path you get the same spread no matter the range so I didn't mention the distances in the video.

#4 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

I think it would've also been useful if you had made the SRM counts equivalent to see how fast they killed. I.E. 2x SRM6, 3x SRM4, and 6x SRM2 (if there even is something with 6 missile hard points). Though I guess that's kind of another matter.

#5 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostDraconis March, on 05 September 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

I think it would've also been useful if you had made the SRM counts equivalent to see how fast they killed. I.E. 2x SRM6, 3x SRM4, and 6x SRM2 (if there even is something with 6 missile hard points). Though I guess that's kind of another matter.

Interesting idea! Next time they change SRMs and I make a video I'll look into doing that. Going to have to buy an A1 again...

#6 Bonckers

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

I have been using artemis on a 4sp Hunchback and I love it. I am using srm6 + artemis and I can tell you that my missile fire is much more focused, especially at longer ranges. Worth it if you can afford the tonnage and cost (at least for the srm6).

#7 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

SRMs are great against all opponents on testing grounds ;-)

But on a live server they hardly ever register against a moving target...

#8 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

2x6 vs 3x4 vs 6x2 is interesting, but it'd also be interesting to see linked-fire vs chain-fire so see if there's any difference in the patter size.

I'd also be interested in seeing some tonnage-based comparisons. For instance, what is 2xSRM4 vs 1xSRM6+Artemis like? Both of those are 4 tons, the 4s have 2 more missiles so more damage, but does the tighter pattern on the Artemis make up for that loss, ie do more missiles hit the same location meaning more concentrated damage.

#9 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 28 October 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

SRMs are great against all opponents on testing grounds ;-)

But on a live server they hardly ever register against a moving target...

This is absolutely true. They need to fix the hit detection for SRMs, like yesterday. I've been posting about it in the Patch Feedback thread pretty much every other week with each new patch.

It's been broken for a LONG time.

#10 Ramla

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma 14.4/100 games

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

I took another approach at visualizing this.

I shot two tons of ammo up into the river city night sky with two SRM6, and took screenshots of each volley when they were just about to reach max distance and explode. Zoom level was maximum (no PIP). Out of these screenshots I combined spreads of a total of 120 launched SRM missiles with and without Artemis. I discarded screenshots that seemed to be mistimed by checking the cooldown counter.

Blue represents vanilla, red artemis and purple is overlap of the two. Maybe the gif version is more obvious.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Kalam Mehkar

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostRamla, on 01 November 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I took another approach at visualizing this.

I shot two tons of ammo up into the river city night sky with two SRM6, and took screenshots of each volley when they were just about to reach max distance and explode. Zoom level was maximum (no PIP). Out of these screenshots I combined spreads of a total of 120 launched SRM missiles with and without Artemis. I discarded screenshots that seemed to be mistimed by checking the cooldown counter.

Blue represents vanilla, red artemis and purple is overlap of the two. Maybe the gif version is more obvious.

Nicely done with this. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. And to the OP as well with the videos. Good stuff all around.

#12 Sketchy McBeardo

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

This is great. Thank you for doing this work guys.

I've been running my 4SP again for the first time in ages. SRMs have been weird for a while, so I haven't been using them much. But it's been fun to get in the old Hunchie and use that torso twist to shoot the things I am running away from. :)

I swapped out my SRM6s+Artemis for SRM4s+Artemis and it *feels* more effective, but this gives me more information to work with. It could be more effective for my personal play style and not mechanically. But the faster reload time, and the increased heat efficiency (from the two additional DHS I can fit in the mech) allow me to play more effectively as a support/hit & run Medium.

#13 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

I found this video to be VERY informative, thank you.

#14 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Updated in light of the "Buckton Fix" changes to SRMs. Enjoy!

#15 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Nice vid :-)

Could do with some more tests with repeats and at different ranges.

Here are the numbers of your vid in a matrix
Artemis Launcher volleys SRMs time
art 6 7 42 25
6 8 48 28
art 4 10 40 27
4 12 48 34
art 2 15 30 29
2 17 34 32

Edited by Red Line Pilot, 30 June 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#16 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

To be honest that srm2 kill faster than srm4 is a bit of lackluster. Maybee it is a problem of averaging. But if this is the case, than something needs to be done anyway.

#17 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

View PostRed Line Pilot, on 30 June 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Nice vid :-) Could do with some more tests with repeats and at different ranges. Here are the numbers of your vid in a matrix
Artemis Launcher volleys SRMs time
art 6 7 42 25
6 8 48 28
art 4 10 40 27
4 12 48 34
art 2 15 30 29
2 17 34 32

Interesting.. ..you could sacrifice a few seconds to reduce ammo dependance which could be used for additional firepower. Although this would gimp your alpha-tunity. And 3 seconds can be a LOOOOONG time..

#18 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:59 AM

View PostGhostdog256, on 28 October 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

I have been using artemis on a 4sp Hunchback and I love it. I am using srm6 + artemis and I can tell you that my missile fire is much more focused, especially at longer ranges. Worth it if you can afford the tonnage and cost (at least for the srm6).

Likewise... I use SRM's in a lot of my mechs (favourite weapon really) but the chassis, weight and number of missile hard points dictates whether i use artemis or not. For example don't bother with it in lights the weight penalty is too great. I prefer to fill the hard points with as many missiles as possible first only adding artemis if you have tonnage to spare.

It is mainly useful when shooting from near maximum range at less than 120m or so i'd rather use more missiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users