- - - - -

Using A Lot Of Same Guns Generate More Heat?

12 replies to this topic

#1 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

It's what a french site claim. Is it true? Is it why my triple ac2 heat so much now?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Yes. We call it "Ghost heat." It's terrible. But it's a solution that targets specific problem weapons while allowing us to alpha strike everything else all we want.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostMak54291, on 02 September 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

It's what a french site claim. Is it true? Is it why my triple ac2 heat so much now?

There shouldn't be a problem with 3 AC/2's as long as you're group firing them. However, if you're at a higher ping, you may run afoul of it.

The AC2 cycle time was increased a smidge to fix the problem, but I haven't personally tested it since - what with my 5ac2 JM6-DD being utterly borked by Ghost Heat :)

#4 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

It's a completely irrational and illogical system, I recommend you read a wiki. Otherwise you'll never be able to piece together how it works. Even I still have a couple scenarios I'm unclear on: If you fired 3 ER PPCs and 4 SRM6s, would you get two separate Ghost Heats or just one? Would you get 7 ER PPCs worth of Ghost Heat? Would you get 3 ER PPCs worth and 4 SRM6s worth? I have no idea.

Long story short, 3 PPCs = start having heat problems if fired in the same half second. Gauss + PPC = No problem. So do that.

#5 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

Yes, but nothing in the game tells you about it, and you have to dig deep in the forum to find out how it works.
I can't believe they actually implemented it without ANY indication in the mechlab or in game.
I mean wtf?!

#6 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

View PostMak54291, on 02 September 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

I suggest to take a look at this section on smurfy: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale there you can know the kind of weapons that take the penalty.

Notice that those in the "linked" penalty system means that if you fire 3xSRM4 and 1xSRM6 the heat will be accounted as you were firing FOUR SRM6. In few words mixing weapons (eg: 2 large lasers and 1 Largepulse laser) will mean that you'll get the heat output of 3 large pulse lasers with that scale.

#7 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

View PostSnowcrow, on 03 September 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

Yes, but nothing in the game tells you about it, and you have to dig deep in the forum to find out how it works.
I can't believe they actually implemented it without ANY indication in the mechlab or in game.
I mean wtf?!

To meet their target demographic they had to introduce sweeping systems that are hidden to the player and 3PV. These things were more important than a tutorial.

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 03 September 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

I suggest to take a look at this section on smurfy: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale there you can know the kind of weapons that take the penalty.

Notice that those in the "linked" penalty system means that if you fire 3xSRM4 and 1xSRM6 the heat will be accounted as you were firing FOUR SRM6. In few words mixing weapons (eg: 2 large lasers and 1 Largepulse laser) will mean that you'll get the heat output of 3 large pulse lasers with that scale.

Don't forget, just stagger weapon types, and you are A-OK. AC/20 + tripple SRM6 = No heat penalty for massive alphas, because massive alphas are what the Ghost Heat system is supposed to prevent.

Edited by Victor Morson, 03 September 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#8 CGB Behemoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 418 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale - use this

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 03 September 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

If you fired 3 ER PPCs and 4 SRM6s, would you get two separate Ghost Heats or just one?
Two.

View PostVictor Morson, on 03 September 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

Would you get 7 ER PPCs worth of Ghost Heat? Would you get 3 ER PPCs worth and 4 SRM6s worth?
The latter.

#10 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

3 AC/2 are the maximum allowed alpha for AC/2 and should not generate ghost heat.

You're looking at a specific bug occuring when firing them separately.

As seen here:

Edited by I C Wiener, 03 September 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#11 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

Game play used to be unplayable if you weren't in an assault or 3d with PPC's.
So they introduced "staking penalty" which has some amazing positive effects on gameplay.
You will have people call it different things, complaining about it serving no purpose.
Don't listen to them, there clueless and have little vision of what was fixed during this process.

The Ac2's got had a bug, skill unlocks of rate of fire is really what put them out of wack and not some invisible anti macro that you can read about on these forums.
Just be happy your not getting hit by 4xPPC+1xGuass all the time and enjoy the mess of 12v12's :)

#12 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostCybermech, on 03 September 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

Game play used to be unplayable if you weren't in an assault or 3d with PPC's.
So they introduced "staking penalty" which has some amazing positive effects on gameplay.
You will have people call it different things, complaining about it serving no purpose.
Don't listen to them, there clueless and have little vision of what was fixed during this process.

The only thing it did is make a bunch of casual players freak out and go out of their way to avoid it by running really bad builds. Don't listen to Cybermech, if you want high alpha builds, just combo Gauss + PPCs or AC/20s and SRMs, or any other number of high alpha setups.

The only thing ghost heat did was get rid of 6 PPC Stalkers, which were bad 'mechs anyway.

The Ac2's got had a bug, skill unlocks of rate of fire is really what put them out of wack and not some invisible anti macro that you can read about on these forums.

3 AC2s is the max you can fire without ghost heat on purpose, the other stuff is a bug. Which is silly. And stupid.

Just be happy your not getting hit by 4xPPC+1xGuass all the time and enjoy the mess of 12v12's :)

.... because you're getting hit by 3x PPC 1x Gauss instead?

#13 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

The main thing that drives me insane about AC2s, the ninja penalty, and Ghost Heat is that it prevents me from using L/RMouse to fire Left or Right side from partial cover. No Macro... just two weapon groups. Anything that screws up something as simple as that is TERRIBAD!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users