- - - - -

How To Lock Look And Torso Together ?

8 replies to this topic

#1 James Pryde IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

hey, I signed up when I first heard about this game, but having tried it, I was a bit confused with the Torso and the walking direction controls

is there a way to lock the two together, so its similar to mw4 ?

Thanks

#2 ShockATC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

You mean Torso and Legs move and face the same direction? No! You cant.

#3 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

There is no way to do that in-game. You can lock the arms to the torso, but the tank-turret-style torso can't be circumvented.

There are controls that allow you to center your torso to your legs or your legs to your torso. I would recommend having those keys bound to something near your movement keys while you are getting the hang of piloting.

#4 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

There is a key that turns your torso to match where your legs are pointing and a key to turn your legs to point where your torso is pointing. But these are keys that do this once at the time you press them. However, there is no setting that locks your legs and torso as far as I know - and doing so would severely restrict your piloting and tactical choices and could never be recommended.

There is a setting to lock your arms and torso together, which is on by default, but many 'Mechs benefit from having it unlocked to give you greater field of fire, more defensive choices and, for advanced users, the ability to fire at two enemies at once.

#5 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

Have you tried the new moving-your-mech-around tutorial? If not, do that and then provide feedback if it doesn't answer your questions and explain what's going on.

#6 James Pryde IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

ah, thanks for that guys :(

yeah, will do all the tutorials once my beloved Clans come :D

#7 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

you dont want them together,moving forward while shooting sideways makes you harder to hit.locking the torso to the legs will help your enemy keep hitting you head on.

#8 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostJames Pryde IIC, on 04 September 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

ah, thanks for that guys :)

yeah, will do all the tutorials once my beloved Clans come :lol:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the clan arrival.

#9 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostJames Pryde IIC, on 03 September 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

hey, I signed up when I first heard about this game, but having tried it, I was a bit confused with the Torso and the walking direction controls

is there a way to lock the two together, so its similar to mw4 ?

Thanks

Coordinating your feet with your torso does indeed take some getting used to. My best advice is to take advantage of the Training Grounds, get used to steering, aiming, realigning, firing on the run, etc. This is really vital and I can't overstate its importance. Early on, I spent as much or more time running around the TG's just learning how to pilot my mech as I did in actual drops. It was time well spent if you ask me. Your time there will pay huge dividends once you drop in actual matches. You can also apply the time you spend in the Training Grounds to try to find sniping nests, cover, flanking paths, and a wide variety of other useful intel while not being literally "under the gun" in a match.

If you find yourself really challenged because of the way the KB responds, may I also humbly suggest looking into a good flight stick throttle control. I picked one up on the cheap a couple weeks ago and my game almost immediately improved. With the throttle, you use the main control to vary your speed, while using the rudder rocker to steer your feet. The analog nature of the control allows for a much more discreet and accurate (I might go so far as to say "natural" feeling) way to maneuver your mech. I still use the mouse in my right hand for aiming and torso twisting. The throttle has a number of assignable buttons that you can program for routine tasks (such as targeting, firing weapons groups, and realigning your feet/torso.)

Most of all, just stick with it. If an old codger like me can eventually learn how to get around in these things, then there's hope for just about anyone! :)

View PostRG Notch, on 10 September 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the clan arrival.

^^This. From what I've been able to gather, Community Warfare and Clans are likely to be well into 2014 before they see the light of day. Even the much-vaunted UI2.0 will probably not enter use until late November/early December of this year, barring any unforeseen complications.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users