Mwo Drops Fps But Other Games Don't Wtf?

20 replies to this topic

#1 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

I am currently running:
AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz
6 Gb RAM
GEFORCE 650 Ti OC @ 1068 MHz Stable 60 C

What I have found is that I typically run 30-40 FPS in MWO with dips as low as the teens on certain maps and certain modes with graphics at medium. I have played other games (War Thunder) at the same settings and the FPS are stable at 60 FPS. Why is MWO different and what could be wrong with my rig?

#2 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

A) For your processor that is about average for MWO.

:D have you thought about overclocking your cpu to get a few more fps out of it (MWO is very cpu bound and a mild overclock should improve your fps)

C) what is your fps in any other cryengine3 based game? Comparing one game to another that runs on a different engine is like comparing the engine in a Peterbuilt to one running a cargo container ship, both may be Diesel and provide motive force to move items from place to place but they are too different. Comparing War Thunder (which uses the Dagor Engine) to MWO is a nonstarter.

D) There is nothing wrong with your rig. It is a good entry level gaming rig. Based on your specs you are getting good fps.

Posted Image

Remember this is on a run with no enemy, just vegetation, (graph taken from this artical)
All tests are with the exact same GPU (HD7970)
even with both of the low end AMD's being slightly stronger than yours, this also shows that overclocking should give improvements in fps.

#3 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

It drops frames anytime a CPU core maxes out.
Overclocking/Upgrading the CPU has helped me the most

Q6700@3.5ghz
4GB-8GB 1066 5-5-5-15 (8gb did very little if anything)
GTX280 (SLI not working yet so just running one)
1440x900
Very high
25 min
45av
65max

Edited by Kaptain, 04 September 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#4 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostStainlessSR, on 04 September 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

A) For your processor that is about average for MWO.

:( have you thought about overclocking your cpu to get a few more fps out of it (MWO is very cpu bound and a mild overclock should improve your fps)

I have thought about it, but it is a lot more daunting than OCing a GPU. Everything I've read is greek and that is scary when you are talking about CPU. I looked at doing it with AMD Overdrive, but I believe I have a locked chipset (its not an AMD black) and so I would have to balance clocks and voltage and multipliers and its a lot more than just bumping up the clock run stress test rinse and repeat until crash.

#5 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Game is-was also insanely memory hungry. Personally in the end I got myself 24GB to end the frame rate stutters. Note this may not be necessary any more if the stability is better than it was 3 months back.
Lowest stable rig I read about at that time was at about 16GB. Memory being so cheap, why not upgrade that too when you ring the gong

#6 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Alright: I've basically spent the last month trying to figure out my crappy framerates. I can't claim to be very good at it, but I've been learning things.

Do you have anything that would tell you how hard you CPU and GPU are working? I like MSI Afterburner for GPUs, or nVidia Inspector, but GPU-Z isn't bad for this.

For CPU, you'll need Process Explorer: Get the game up and running, then shell out to proecexp, and double-click on "MWOClient.exe", then head for the Performance Graph tab. No: You won't see what each CPU core is doing, but you'll see what the game is doing to the whole damn box.

Also for CPU, you can have CPU-Z tell you the current clocks, but only for the first core: Don't know if that can be helped …

Welcome to the Recon Phase! :(

#7 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostMnDragon, on 04 September 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I have thought about it, but it is a lot more daunting than OCing a GPU. Everything I've read is greek and that is scary when you are talking about CPU. I looked at doing it with AMD Overdrive, but I believe I have a locked chipset (its not an AMD black) and so I would have to balance clocks and voltage and multipliers and its a lot more than just bumping up the clock run stress test rinse and repeat until crash.

I have personally never overclocked an AMD, however if you went to This Site and checked out This Thread, or even This Site.

The 650ti is a decent card so if you were looking to start upgrading now might be the time to start getting parts and pieces to do this. Don't forget to look in the classifieds and Craigslist for deals but research before you buy anything from anywhere.

#8 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Okay so I performed a small adjustment to my FSB and now I'm running 220 x 13 so ~2.8GHz. Would that be defined as a "mild" OC? @Goose, I use CPU-Z and GPU-Z. I used Afterburner to OC my GPU. My GPU under load runs about 52 degrees and so far under load my CPU runs an average of 47 degrees. My concern is that I'm not sure if I need to adjust my North Bridge clock with only a 20 MHz bump on the FSB. So far no system hangs, but when I stress test with AMD Overclock (I did the actual OC in the BIOS, just using the software to stress and monitor) about 8 minutes in the run it started beeping and a hardware error detection caused the stress test to stop. That was on the first bump.

Edited by MnDragon, 04 September 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#9 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

I am not sure myself as I stated I have never overclocked an AMD chip. There may be others on the forum whom can help you on this, or on the two forums I suggested, they seem to be really nooby friendly there from some of the threads I have read.

There is this general guide

And this one on amd specifically

I am sorry that I am unable to further help you on this. You really need someone whom is familiar with AMD overclocking. What I have read does show that you have to juggle northbridge speed, mem speed, core voltage and others to get a stable overclock, however from what I have read 3.3 should not be unheard of for the 810 just take it slowly in small steps and watch your temps.

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

I'm not a big overclocker, ether, so I can only presume the test abort is bad … Or else you need to bump the voltage in as small an increment as possible, on as few things as possible. You might want to clean off all the heatsinks you can find, first.

Really: You know the risks of overclocking, right?

I'd like to know what Afterburner says about your GPU usage and FB usage when you play.

#11 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostHammerhai, on 04 September 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Game is-was also insanely memory hungry. Personally in the end I got myself 24GB to end the frame rate stutters. Note this may not be necessary any more if the stability is better than it was 3 months back.
Lowest stable rig I read about at that time was at about 16GB. Memory being so cheap, why not upgrade that too when you ring the gong

MWO is a 32-bit client, so it will not address more than 3GB of RAM, but, if your video card does not have much memory, the video card may page out into system RAM, and will go above 3GB if you have a 64-bit OS and no limit on your AGP arpeture.

#12 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

I run 64bit Win 8 system.

#13 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

if you look on the cryengine3 site they dont even list MWO as a cryengine game,i believe i have read that the cryengine used isnt the latest cry3 revision.....your vid card isnt being utilized to its fullest because the game is running DX9 not DX11 so your cpu is doing some graphics work.i would set your graphics in game to low and wait for the game to upgrade instead of possibly damaging your system to fix a problem on their end.

#14 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

EyeDie, that is exactly the same conclusion I came to. I have since reset my BIOS to default settings. I did download Razer Gamebooster to help shut down unwanted/unneeded background processes and that has helped. The game runs fine on low, so I'll leave it be for now.

#15 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

@Ed. Then I can only presume utterly crappy programming on the part of PGI. In the days of constant memory allocation errors win x32 rigs were known to crash as a a matter of course, and switching to x64 was an effective workaround. Go figure, x32 client or not, that was what was the case.

I think ppl who read this: Make a mental note, and have ready a grain or two of salt, then.

What happened to me is that on a even on a 12Gb memory my system would run better with game booster 3.5. PROVIDED I turned off even Windows explorer. After throwing my toys out of the cot and getting an idiotic amount of memory, I had no further problems. I once got the old frame rate stutter bug. Yes, PGI, it is still there. Of course bear in mind PGI may simply have patched the issue then plaguing us. This was about 3 months back.

Btw I run a core i7 and a Nvidia GTX 680 on an Asus p6X Premium motherboard

Edited by Hammerhai, 07 September 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#16 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostHammerhai, on 07 September 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

@Ed. Then I can only presume utterly crappy programming on the part of PGI. In the days of constant memory allocation errors win x32 rigs were known to crash as a a matter of course, and switching to x64 was an effective workaround. Go figure, x32 client or not, that was what was the case.

I think ppl who read this: Make a mental note, and have ready a grain or two of salt, then.

What happened to me is that on a even on a 12Gb memory my system would run better with game booster 3.5. PROVIDED I turned off even Windows explorer. After throwing my toys out of the cot and getting an idiotic amount of memory, I had no further problems. I once got the old frame rate stutter bug. Yes, PGI, it is still there. Of course bear in mind PGI may simply have patched the issue then plaguing us. This was about 3 months back.

Btw I run a core i7 and a Nvidia GTX 680 on an Asus p6X Premium motherboard

First Gen i7 ?? I have been experimenting myself with my 920 and GTX780...
It seem the game run better if I switch off Hyper Threading.. At least during the most demanding periods, the frames does not drop to 10-20fps... More to 30 fps else... 60-100 when it is calm.

I am also waiting for DX11 to see what happens with my current rig.

Edited by ShinVector, 10 September 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#17 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

The Power of Nehalem Compels You! :)

Disabling HT didn't change anything for me: The two half-loads just shacked up in the last core, where as with HT on, I had three loaded cores, and two half-loads.

That was with recent nVidia drivers: I've just switched to 314.22 WHQL, and and the CPU load seems to have gone down, to one full, and three halfs.

And by "full," I mean "~85%" … :lol:

So: Does it run like a fright train in the training grounds for you, too? -_-

Does it seem like you can set a framerate limit of half your refresh, and it stays steady?

#18 TheNose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostHammerhai, on 04 September 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Ever thought about a Ramdrive for MWO?

#19 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostTheNose, on 13 September 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Ever thought about a Ramdrive for MWO?

SSD