- - - - -

Noob Movement Question

5 replies to this topic

#1 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Ok so I just started the game, have not played any actual battles yet.

I am wondering if it is possible, or if I should even be trying to change the keybindings for movement or if I should just be using the defaults and getting used to a new way of doing things.

The other 'third person' games I have played I have been using a certain set of movement for years now, so it is old habit - mouselook acts as turning your movement in addition to the A and D keys, but I use Q and E for side strafing. So if I want to be moving one direction but looking to the sides I hit the strafe buttons and walk sideways, and then just snap back to center view/movement. but otherwise using W and mouselook for maneuvering and only using turing keys if standing still.

This doesnt seem like it will work, or maybe not even be possible with the torso-twisting mechanic, but running around the training maps it has been very difficult to get used to turning using keys only and undo years worth of habits.

So my long winded question is should I just suck it up and get used to the new(for me) movements? or do people typically modify the keybindings and have it linked to mouse movement or some other setup? I do not use a special multibutton gaming mouse so its just the typical 2 buttons/scroll.

Thanks.

#2 StoneGullet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, FL

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

The game uses the traditional WASD keys. I personally would not recommend using 3rd person view. Enemy can spot you easier and you have no mini map. Go into options and take that right off, stick with first person. Movement takes a little time to get use to but isnt that hard.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Mechs do not strafe. You turn your legs separate from the arms+torso. The recently added in-game Tutorial should help you get started. There are also some videos for new pilots you might want to watch. To just fiddle around, you can launch the Testing Grounds and try to see what works for you.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

You won't be able to do Q and E for side strafing. Those are, essentially unnecessary if not inferior, as you can't turn the legs fast enough to use that mechanic anyway and you get more control as it is. I do recommend removing the "Throttle Decay" which is the "I let go, I stop" function. It'll free up your hands for the turning necessary to play with strafing left and right. Use X to stop after that.

#5 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Movement, and specifically learning to coordinate your legs/direction of travel with your torso is likely the single biggest hurdle for new players (and I know...I only started playing myself about 2.5 weeks ago.) It does come with time and practice, but you will probably have to "re-train" your muscle memory a bit to become accustomed to the dynamic. PGI did just put in a tutorial mode in yesterday's patch that tries to ease this transition some, but the real remedy is practice-practice-practice.

While many (indeed, probably most) become adept at using the traditional mouse/KB, I opted to use a flight stick controller for the throttle/leg movement. The analog nature of both throttle control and feet orientation offered with the stick made a world of difference for my effectiveness. Still, getting used to any new control schema will take time and a bit of running around in the Training Grounds to help smooth the rough edges.

Good luck and welcome to the game! Enjoy, and stay systems nominal! :D

#6 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostKoniving, on 04 September 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

You won't be able to do Q and E for side strafing. Those are, essentially unnecessary if not inferior, as you can't turn the legs fast enough to use that mechanic anyway and you get more control as it is. I do recommend removing the "Throttle Decay" which is the "I let go, I stop" function. It'll free up your hands for the turning necessary to play with strafing left and right. Use X to stop after that.

@OP You rightly pointed out that it is about Muscle Memory.

Some people... like me, prefer Throttle Decay on... you might as well. Know that it is present and try using both on and off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users