2 replies to this topic

#1 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

So, after listening to the most recent NGNG podcast and hear Bryan say he's hoping for a community API, I thought I'd through out some suggestions for features to receive an API:

Player stats - a way to allow certain sites to publish your stats (with optional revocation). This would be great for house tournaments, leagues, and merc corps.

Achievements - like above, but more of a personal option.

Campaign Ribbons - This is geared more for community warfare, but giving merc corps leaders the ability to craft campaign ribbons, then automatically give them to any player that opts in and completes the objectives would be fantastic. For example, it would be a basic picture editor with color and line selection for the ribbon, then you could say "drop 30 times with other members" or "fight over xxxx planet at least once". Players could display these ribbons on their merc corps home page.

Dynamic IS Map - The ability to tie into the IS map and display it on multiple websites, so people need not log in to see how battles are progressing.

Battle Information Feed - essentially an RSS feed with critical information, such as planet xxxx is now under attack, battle xxxx is now over (here is the victor), merc corp xxxx just lost 30 mechs in battle, merc corp xxxx has just signed on 150 new members, etc. This could be activated via simple thresholds, such as any merc corp that receives more than 20 unique members in one day.

Early Warning System - the ability to send an alert, similar to an RSS feed, to a specific merc corp domain (or any domain registered with that merc corps unique ID) that alerts them to their planet being attacked. The merc corp could then either write a desktop app, mobile app, or web app that sounds the alarm, so to speak, and tells them which planet and by who.

This could also work off a unique player ID. So if I wrote a generic app for anybody to use, a player could just put their unique ID in and it allows them to receive the alerts for any group they are currently associated with. This would eliminate the need for each group to have their own, custom written app.

Friends List - Allow people to see who on their friends list is currently online.

More as I think of them ;)

Edited by S3dition, 05 September 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#2 TheSkogemann

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

Well, i didnt see this topic in my search, so i will C/P my post here if its ok.

View PostTheSkogemann, on 21 September 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

I have seen that an API was requested in some old forum thread, i thought i would bring it up again.

As a developer my self, i would really love to be able to extract data from the game and from my profile.

Data i think should be available:
  • All the stats
  • Profile information
  • In game info (Weapon stats, ammo etc.)
  • Info on mechs, weapons etc. owned
The reasons for this:
  • Developers could create tools for MWO
  • Dynamic forum signature creation
  • Developers could create more in depth stats
  • Get info about your mechs on your website
  • Facebook apps
  • iPad, Android, iPhone, Windows apps (See below)
It shouldnt really be too hard to create an API, the info is there - it only needs an interface

Tell me what you think...

This is an alpha-build on my iPad remote control for MWO, it would be cool if i could put some data on that:

Posted Image

#3 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

The comunity could make a lot of cool stuff With enough API's available. But I think PGI could give us these basic tools also...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users