Help! With Configuring Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X Joystick

13 replies to this topic

#1 Max Skillz

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hello to my MWO family: I could seriously use your help with helping me configure my Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X Joystick. I'm new to this site and some what new to MW. I've spent days on this site reading dozens of post concerning various joysticks and how to configure them. And I'm completely lost on what to do, so I'm reaching out to you. Will someone please provide me a step by step process on where to access the directory/file within my computer, on where I perform the configuration of my joystick. Better yet does anyone have a configuration/script of the Thrustmaster T Flight config they can cut and paste into their reply, and instruct me on how to upload that config onto my computer Any help what so ever on how to configure my or any other joystick from start to finish will be greatly appreciated.Thank You

#2 Ioke

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

I too have been reading the various threads on this topic and wonder, with the patches that have come over the last year or so, what information is still accurate and what isn't.

#3 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Your best bet might be to search or start a new thread down on Hardware and Accessories. Lots of knowledgeable folks down there. For what it's worth, I use a Thrustmaster Hotas X Flight Stick, but only use the throttle portion to control acceleration and direction (via the rudder rocker.) I've also programmed the buttons for aligning feet to torso, target lock, jump jets, and a weapon groups 3-4. I don't use the stick currently, although I may experiment with it at some point. I did all the configuring from within MWO however, and didn't fiddle directly with the .cfg files.

Welcome to the game, and if you have some specific questions I can try to help you out.

#4 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

ok, check in control panel, devices and printers that win7 recognizes it.if it is there right click it and select game controller settings.then in the game controller settings select properties then in the properties window select the settings tab then hit calibrate.after the stick is calibrated ,in the game you can in options set buttons and axis, for joysticks select analog turn analog throttle....i will check back and see if you need more help,im just waking up......btw i use the same controller.

#5 Max Skillz

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi StarGeezer and EyeDie l:Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post, I'm still having serious issues with configuring my joystick and I was hoping you could take a few minutes and provide me with additional information. StarGeezer, you stated " I've also programmed the buttons for aligning feet to torso, target lock, jump jets, and a weapon groups 3-4. " will you please explained how you programmed your joystick to work this way. EyeDie l I was able to go into my Windows control panel and calibrate my jpystick, however I'm having trouble with configuring my joystick within the MechWarrior option section, you instructed me to "select analog turn analog throttle" ....I double clicked on select analog, and I got a message saying "bind key" I attempted to save this setting but it would not allow me too...how do I assign my joystick keys in the option section.....Guys thanks again for all your help.

#6 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

ok 1st, configuring the joystick in mwo options my joystick is set axis y is set to pit6ch, axiz x is set to analog turn (not turn),the z axis (twist) is set to torso twist,my rudder is also set to torso twist.the hat up direction i have set to target lock®,my weapons controller is set to analog throttle not throttle,my thumb (5) key is set to toggle zoom,(6)adavanced zoom,(7) heat vision,i use heat more than night so i use N if i need night vision.the (9) button i have set to jumpjets.the (10) i have set to center legs, and the 8 i set to a weapon group 4 i rarely have a group4....back to the stick, it has less buttons so i use the trigger for group 1, the 2 button for group2 and the 4 button for group 3,the 3 button on the side i use for center legs.you can set these anyway you want but remember turn and throttle you set to analog,

setting weapon groups, you drop into testing grounds and use your arrow keys and the right control button to select.you want similar type weapons grouped together so i would make group 1,2ac5s ,group 2 maybe 2-4 med lasers or 2 large lasers, then group 3 maybe LRMs,whatever weapons you use.....i also have my space bar set to toggle chain fire to control heat so you fire the whole group at once or 1 at a time the weapon highlight bar in the game has to be in the group you want to toggle....post if you have problems , i willcheck back later.

you select analog throttle or turn then move the throttle or joystick and it will recognized that you moved it ask you to confirm you want it assigned to that key or axis...

aimi9ng with a joystick is very difficult ,between my joy and wpn controller i have a trackball i use for finer aiming....

Edited by EyeDie I, 08 September 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#7 Max Skillz

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi EyeDie l, I just wanted to get back with you and let you know the help you provided me with configuring my joystick work!!! I've been online all day playing MWO and getting my butt kicked but at least not as bad as before....I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help and I appreciate all the time and effort you provide....thanks again and take care.

#8 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

i am glad i could help,there are many helpful players on these forums.

#9 Caviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

I would not use a joystick for torso control at this point. There is no support for analog controls for torso twist/pitch which greatly reduces the value of joysticks right now.

The Throttle/rudder is better as you get analog control capability which you can't get otherwise. I believe most go with Throttle/Rudder and Mouse at this point.

#10 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

what the guy above said, even if you're going for immersion it's simply not worth it as it stands. Tis why the razer artemis was abandoned (anyone remember that?) cos PGi deviated so far from their intended design.

#11 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostCaviel, on 09 September 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

I would not use a joystick for torso control at this point. There is no support for analog controls for torso twist/pitch which greatly reduces the value of joysticks right now.

The Throttle/rudder is better as you get analog control capability which you can't get otherwise. I believe most go with Throttle/Rudder and Mouse at this point.

Yep I started with a joystick for torso control... it was terrible. I became immediately better when I started using the mouse to aim. The game is still basically a shooter.

#12 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

i know the whole zero order vs 1st order is why mouse is better, im just not a mouse player, but between my joy and wpn controller i use my trackball mouse for finer aiming.

#13 Dragux

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Random question, in regards to the HOTAS X Flightstick, is anyone else having issues mapping the forward throttle and backwards throttle to the THROTTLE itself? I move it up, it maps to the Z throttle, but when i map the backwards to it going down... it does not register it and maps it over the same key.

Didn't they fix this problem before? I really want to use my Hotas for this game, but right now i feel like im limited to my keyboard and mouse because of it, and thus ruins the whole idea of purchasing a HOTAS...

#14 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostDragux, on 13 September 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Random question, in regards to the HOTAS X Flightstick, is anyone else having issues mapping the forward throttle and backwards throttle to the THROTTLE itself? I move it up, it maps to the Z throttle, but when i map the backwards to it going down... it does not register it and maps it over the same key.

It sounds like you're mapping the throttle to the regular forward/backward throttle (W and D by default, respectively.) Scroll down the list of keybinds until you find the Analog Throttle, and map your throttle to that instead. That will take care of your forward and backward simultaneously. If you like, you can also map your Analog Turn to your rudder rocker on the back of the throttle for steering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users